Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • What upper management doesn't realize is that advisors aren't happy with the direction of the company (in 13 reviews)

• People are cleaning the wrong house by letting lower level people go, and they seem afraid to let go of Directors and VPs in the Admissions group (in 6 reviews)

1. "Ashford University"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Nice work environment. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

sales. i am not much of a sales person.

Advice to Management

no micromanaging

"I can understand why people stick around for so long!"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

-Great team environment (depends on your department, but my experience has been positive)
    -Fun perks (college student friday, free snacks, special events, team outings)
    -Employee Tuition Benefit
    -Flexible hours
    -The company is actively making it a great place to work with new benefits (extra vacation day, peanut butter)
    -Professional development opportunities

Cons

-Job security (it seems tenured / higher salary / experienced workers are more at risk for getting laid off)
    -Sticky fingers (many people have gotten things stolen in the office over the years- response from leadership was watch what you leave on your desk rather than exploring the issue)
    -Parking (I don't leave at lunch time just to avoid parking again) - speed bumps too hard on the upper floors - bottom floors sometimes gets too full (why does a car dealership park on the bottom floors?) Bridgepac has a lot of empty spots.

Advice to Management

-Keep/promote your best and most talented people!

Nov 18, 2017 – VP, Talent Acquisition, HR Ops, and Total Rewards

Thank you for your feedback! Please have someone do a HR ticket, or email me directly, concerning the "sticky fingers" issue. Also, if you have specific recommendations to make BPI a... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The company has tons of health benefits, educational benefits as well as 401K and stock options. They really try and make sure you don't want to leave the company.

Cons

High turnover and it isn't always just unproductive staff. Sometimes they look at the higher earners as an expense not a valued loyal person.

Advice to Management

Keep in my staff that have been there the longest and really care about their work. They do a really job at making you love and want to be there but, if you decide to be there for a the long term, you are just kind of lost in the shuffle in the long run.

Oct 11, 2017 – VP, Talent Acq., HR Ops, & Total Rewards

Thank you for the feedback. We recently bench-marked our internal mobility rate, and found that we have a healthy percentage of employees that grab opportunities in other areas of the business, as... More

4. "Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

schedule, pay, great people, building located in the heart of the city

Cons

can be difficult to get a hold of people

Advice to Management

stay positive

Oct 3, 2017 – VP of HR Ops

Thank you for the feedback! Hopefully, our launch of our new intranet, Insight 3.0, will help in getting in touch with teammates.

"Keeps Getting Better"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Amazing team environment with amazing people.
    Already had wonderful benefits and new Total Reward Program even better.
    Leadership is visible and open to feedback
    For someone passionate about education, nothing beats helping students earn a degree

Cons

Like all for profit institutions, the company will continue to face regulatory challenges that need to be worked through.

6. "Quality Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid Leadership and excellent professional development opportunities

Cons

They tend to bring in outsiders without a solid understanding of culture and allow them to make unnecessary changes.

Advice to Management

Stick with what works and allow the culture to be created from within

"ESA"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Free coffee, toaster, honey, salt and pepper

Cons

It can be boring at times

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working towards a better work/life balance strategy
    Great Benefits
    Gym on site
    Cafeteria on site
    Professional Development Training Opportunities
    Relax Friday wear

Cons

Parking structure can cause morning delays
    Smoking area too close to the structure

9. "Enrollment Services Advisor"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Great job, great benefits. Work with cool people.

Cons

You work with limited resources, when work is slow the day is really long.

"For those thirsty for a sense of purpose in the work they do..."

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Bridgepoint Education is the parent company for Ashford University and University of the Rockies. They strive to provide higher education to anyone who is willing to do the work to achieve this. They strive to make sure that cost, location, and schedule are not barriers that get in the way of a student's ability to succeed. The mission is to impact students lives in a profound way; one that reverberates positively throughout that student's life and that of their families for years to come. What a wonderful mission! The employees of Bridgepoint Education are some of the most passionate people who rally around a cause that you just don't see at other companies. The compensation and benefits are good. The leadership team is excellent and getting better - there is a number of new senior leaders that are helping to improve company performance and further improve the work culture. It's primarily located in two great cities - San Diego and Denver. The work is fast paced, and very collaborative across departments. There is an increasing sense of "team" to get meaningful work done that benefits our students. It helps to get people and departments to prioritize correctly the work that gets done. The organization is pretty lean, which means that you have an opportunity to touch a lot of different areas of the business and influence positive change. This should appeal to those who don't want to be just another cog in a big corporate machine. I've worked here since 2008, and am more optimistic about this company's prospects today than I was on my first day! The future looks very bright, from my vantage point.

Cons

Our company has endured some excessive scrutiny from the media and political pressures in the past that make people hesitant. Smart people will, however, do a thorough amount of diligence, and likely learn that any negativity was highly overblown. We've had a fair amount of turnover in the past, both company and employee initiated, however the work force seems to be gelling much better as we do a better job of selecting great candidates that embrace the mission, and as we do a better job of planning for the current and future needs of the company's employment needs.

Advice to Management

Continue with your ever improving efforts to pull in lots of employee perspective on what works/doesn't work in the business. There are a LOT of talented people in this organization who are just as motivated to help create huge impact in the student's life that will, by default, improve company performance among our peers. I'm highly encouraged by what I see thus far, and look forward to more of the same.