Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Pros
Cons
  • The CEO really cares but is isolated from the reality of being on the front lines and only informed by people who are in upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Ashford University is a FOR PROFIT school and employees are rated solely cased on number and how good a sales person you are (in 5 reviews)

"Decent Pay and Benefits, Free Education, But it's at a price"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

The pay is good, the benefits are good, and you get a free college education. There are plenty of departments to move into if you hate your job.

Cons

When you're new its like being a freshmen in college. Cliques are already formed, the managers and directors dont really acknowledge your presence, they train you on the same stuff for hours, and they expect you to fail. If you succeed when you are new, people are surprised. If you want to get through the new phase your only choice is to put up and shut up. Expect to hear 7 different people telling you how to do your job and being totally confused as to what the right way is.

Advice to Management

Hey Directors how about you come out of your office once just to get know your staff and not to be a hall monitor? All the directors claim they understand the job but yet they are so unfriendly. My director has had 1 conversation with me. She's only nice to the people who have been there for awhile and are top producers. Bridgepoint preaches caring but I have not met a single manager or director that has made me feel like they care. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

2. "Interesting"

Current Employee - Admisions Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Admisions Counselor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Education is viewed as very important within the company. The programs that are offered are plentiful, and accredited through the higher learning commission.

Cons

Sales type environment to get students into school. Pay increases are not what they used to be. Different verticals make it challenging to get students. Compensation does not compare to market standards.

Advice to Management

Leadership programs are plentiful, because the organization is growing so quickly. Areas of advancement present themselves, as long as you are an expert in your current position. Most people start off in sales, and shift from there.

"Good employer. Great if you're in the right department."

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back environment and good people. The benefits packages are decent, but not great (no paid FMLA for new parents).

Cons

Professional, educated, and salaried employees are treated the same as those with only high school degrees. I believe that there should be benefits for finishing school and having experience. Software developers don't get a lot of self-improvement benefits, unless you happen to be on the right team.

5. "Loved my Co-Workers, Communication needs improvement"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Clinton, IA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Clinton, IA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

co-workers
    flexibility
    allowed to be creative
    professional development programs
    good ideas

Cons

pay not in line with industry standards
    Upper Management and Executives do not communicate well
    No transparency
    Lack of follow through

Advice to Management

Learn how to effectively communicate with staff at all levels. Listen to what the staff has to say.

"Everything Depends on your Department"

Former Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Bridgepoint varies a ton depending on what department you are in. I lucked out and had supportive managers and worked on a relaxed fun and exciting team. Hearing about the working environment in other parts of the company it was a completely different experience.

Cons

Overall the company has some lame policies. There is so much they can do to improve student learning that they are just not investing in. The benefits are fine and are about level with other corporate mid sized companies in the area, nothing to write home about. There is a lack of carrear tracks in some areas and the only way to move up if you hit the senior level is to become a manager.

Advice to Management

Overall my experience with direct and senior management in my division was great. It was just a few levels further up that we had problems with. You hired people who are smart and know what they are doing, listen to them sometimes don't just be a dictator.

"Great opertunity for growth!"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgepoint moves very fast. If you are excited by a very fast paced work environment, take a look at Bridgepoint. You will be able to grow as the company grows.

Cons

If you are not used to changing roles and responsibilities often, you might be frustrated with the company’s fast pace and constant state of change.

Advice to Management

None.

8. "If you dont mind inside sales with outbound calling of their so called "warm leads" then its great."

Former Employee - Military Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Military Enrollment Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Training
    -Decent Pay for introductory/first time career
    -Fun atmosphere until the micromanaging sets in
    -Young corporate culture

Cons

-Micromanaging
    -They say you are an enrollment advisor-its pretty much telemarketing
    -They only care about the numbers-couldnt care less of actual student success other than the academic advisors.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing!

"Great intention, bad invention"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bridgepoint pays very generously, and the benefits are out of this world.

If you're not into accountability or feedback, this is the place for you. You can expect an automatic pay increase of between 2-5% every year, in exchange for losing the right to negotiate your salary.

Very casual environment, everyone just shows up whenever they feel like it, and no one keeps track of sick days or vacation time. We come and go as we please.

Cons

This company revels in its incompetence and covers it up with huge paychecks and benefits.

HR, training and development are a joke. The corporate culture there allows people to behave rudely without repercussion. There is no clear path for promotion or advancement. The few people who do get promoted tend to be friends of the executives.

If you need to get information or find someone to do something for you, good luck. It can take a whole day of emailing around to different departments before you find the right person, and the she'll tell you it's not her job.

Minor decisions and processes that should only take a day or two to get done will often get stretched out for weeks on end. It takes an act of Congress to get a project started, let alone finished.

There is no vision. No strategy. No long-term plan beyond "keep our accreditation, no matter what." As a result, the Legal department pretty much has veto power over every little decision.

Advice to Management

Stop being so insular and talk to us. Show your face, instead of hiding behind your office door or in your private seventh-floor gym. We've gone for months without seeing you. Give us some kind of strategy or vision. 90% of being a leader is just showing up.

"The people are not the problem, the system is. Good people, broken system."

Current Employee - Legal
    Current Employee - Legal

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I know I would love my co-workers if I spent time with them outside of work. However, the system makes me dislike some of them because of what they are asked to do, not who they are. The pay is decent, manageable. I love being an exempt employee, I probably would not work here is I was asked to not be.

Cons

Since I have the job I do, I see all of the wrongs the university does as a whole, from a student's perspective. The system is definitely more valuable than the employee. I wish I would have worked here before it became a "public" company.

Advice to Management

Get new management. I cannot stand it when the system is put before the employee, not a recipe for success.

11. "Entry Level Haven"

Current Employee - Student Inquiry Coordinator in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Student Inquiry Coordinator in Poway, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Goals are direct and understood from the top to the bottom

Cons

Opportunity for growth is very limited