Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark
Andrew S. Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The CEO really cares but is isolated from the reality of being on the front lines and only informed by people who are in upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Ashford University is a FOR PROFIT school and employees are rated solely cased on number and how good a sales person you are (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working towards a better work/life balance strategy
    Great Benefits
    Gym on site
    Cafeteria on site
    Professional Development Training Opportunities
    Relax Friday wear

Cons

Parking structure can cause morning delays
    Smoking area too close to the structure

2. "Lifetime Entry Level"

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people one works with are the best; they keep you sane.

Cons

No upward movement, no development and you're constantly the excuse management has for not meeting numbers

Advice to Management

Develop within and stop hiring every three months. Take your employees seriously.

3. "Enrollment Services Advisor"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Great job, great benefits. Work with cool people.

Cons

You work with limited resources, when work is slow the day is really long.

4. "Education Services Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, paid tuition, FSA, great co-workers

Cons

Unclear expectations. Training is not linear and hard to follow. Not given all of the information needed to succeed. Told the job was something other than it was upon recruiting. Never told you absolutely cannot take any time off until 60 days after hire. Would of been ok with it if they were upfront. Felt like they wanted to recruit at all costs and give details after the big sell of getting us to the job. 3 weeks of intense training with a requirement to pass testing after in which your job is on the line if you don't pass. Felt shady. Went home in a bad mood.

Advice to Management

Before hiring give all details. Don't back fill long after hire. Employees feel lied to and less trusting.

5. "For those thirsty for a sense of purpose in the work they do..."

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Bridgepoint Education is the parent company for Ashford University and University of the Rockies. They strive to provide higher education to anyone who is willing to do the work to achieve this. They strive to make sure that cost, location, and schedule are not barriers that get in the way of a student's ability to succeed. The mission is to impact students lives in a profound way; one that reverberates positively throughout that student's life and that of their families for years to come. What a wonderful mission! The employees of Bridgepoint Education are some of the most passionate people who rally around a cause that you just don't see at other companies. The compensation and benefits are good. The leadership team is excellent and getting better - there is a number of new senior leaders that are helping to improve company performance and further improve the work culture. It's primarily located in two great cities - San Diego and Denver. The work is fast paced, and very collaborative across departments. There is an increasing sense of "team" to get meaningful work done that benefits our students. It helps to get people and departments to prioritize correctly the work that gets done. The organization is pretty lean, which means that you have an opportunity to touch a lot of different areas of the business and influence positive change. This should appeal to those who don't want to be just another cog in a big corporate machine. I've worked here since 2008, and am more optimistic about this company's prospects today than I was on my first day! The future looks very bright, from my vantage point.

Cons

Our company has endured some excessive scrutiny from the media and political pressures in the past that make people hesitant. Smart people will, however, do a thorough amount of diligence, and likely learn that any negativity was highly overblown. We've had a fair amount of turnover in the past, both company and employee initiated, however the work force seems to be gelling much better as we do a better job of selecting great candidates that embrace the mission, and as we do a better job of planning for the current and future needs of the company's employment needs.

Advice to Management

Continue with your ever improving efforts to pull in lots of employee perspective on what works/doesn't work in the business. There are a LOT of talented people in this organization who are just as motivated to help create huge impact in the student's life that will, by default, improve company performance among our peers. I'm highly encouraged by what I see thus far, and look forward to more of the same.

"Leader Developer, great benefits."

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Develop as a person. Great pay, great medical, flexible schedules available. Values based fun organization! It is a place I want to come to everyday! Love my leadership and the opportunity to grow!

Cons

The parking can be challenging at times. The gym is not very up to date and the locker room has a single shower and tiny lockers.

Advice to Management

Executives could be a little more visible and accessible, the CEO is obviously attempting to do this however the rest are incognito. I'd bet half the people on my floor wouldn't recognize the COO!

"The People make this place Special and Unique"

Current Employee - New Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - New Vice President in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down, the culture here is special. Excellent benefits to include paid volunteer hours, donation matching, degrees/education, and a phenomenal campus. We have a lot of work ahead of us to get to Great Place to Work and prepare the company for future growth, but we know we have the people and the plan to do it. Excellent place to bring best practices to. There is an appetite for change and for implementing "best in class" processes to achieve the mission. Outstanding philosophy of internal mobility.

Cons

Lacking internal systems and metrics/information to execute. Manual processes abound, but new systems and resources are being reviewed. The building ergonomics is a bit-old school if you're coming from Tech, but it's a known item to be evaluated.

Advice to Management

Over communicate. Don't under-sell the culture and ingredients. As other companies fade away in SD, BPI/AU is a stand-out and worthy of attracting the very best talent to help us pivot and innovate.

8. "Not worth it"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Amazing mission - helping people gain access to innovative higher education.

Cons

Constant fear of termination. No matter how well you are doing, if the company is in a down-swing (like they currently are) they will dig until they find enough people to get rid of.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees that love their jobs.

9. "Enrollment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pay, health insurance, over time , casual fridays, free pizza once a month .. other than that nothing about this place is good

Cons

Management has absolutely no idea what they are doing. We are gauged based on a rotating six month score, yet even though I still bring them money, everyone is constantly on the verge of getting fired

Advice to Management

Fire all managers

"Horrible FAKE environment"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits, coworkers are well-educated.

Cons

Students are not set up to be successful. The school cares more about bringing in money then they do about the quality of education or what is the best situation for the student.

Advice to Management

Treat the people that work for YOU, better. Respect goes a long way.