Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated August 2, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The CEO really cares but is isolated from the reality of being on the front lines and only informed by people who are in upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Ashford University is a FOR PROFIT school and employees are rated solely cased on number and how good a sales person you are (in 5 reviews)

1. "Average"

Pros

Good work experience and benefits

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities; company has been downsizing for years.

Advice to Management

Retain good employees. They will leave and continue to leave for greener pastures

"Systems Engineer"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice and mostly enjoyable to work with

Cons

Upper management seems to care very little for culture or employee retention/appreciation

Advice to Management

Don't stop giving annual merit increases

"Graduate Enrollment Services Advisor"

Current Employee - Graduate Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Enrollment Services Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basic Healthcare benefits, consistent hours, clear expectations, ample office supplies.

Cons

Chaotic organizational behavior, inept and largely inexperienced management, shrinking opportunities for growth.

Advice to Management

Explore different means of maximizing profit and create talent retention practices. Currently, there is no incentive for skilled employees to stay and the company is clearly dying (or being packaged for sale within 1-2 years). It's demoralizing to see the company attempt to employ the same failing organizational strategy for several years and expect different results.

"University Advisor"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy all my coworkers, not necessarily at the management level. You get all bank holidays off.

Cons

It is all about making money whether that be following ethical and moral guidelines or not. Management is always pushing for more, you are told you aren't good enough on a daily basis. It is not about the students, it is about the investors.

Advice to Management

Provide positive feedback sometimes instead of always talking about the negative.

"Trying to get better but just getting worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience to build your resume while working for a national brand. Can't beat getting a free Masters or Doctorate degree either - great perk of the organization.

Cons

High turnover, limited resources, very siloed structure

Advice to Management

Quit talking about making the company a great place to work and actually do things that boost morale. HR surveyed asking if employees would be interested in a 9/80 work schedule nearly a year ago with over 90% saying yes. We haven't heard anything about it since. The organization also emailed everyone 2 weeks before the end of the year saying they would not do merit increases for Q1 and possibly not at all for Q2. The company put on a big show about getting on the best places to work list nationally but all they've changed so far were things no one cares about like increased access to executives. People say they want make access to executives but at the end of the day that doesn't make them like their job more - they want good perks (like a 9/80 schedule or even casual Friday every Friday not once a month) and more importantly, opportunity to interact with people outside their department. My department has had huge turnover in the past 6-9 months it seems like someone is quitting every week - we hardly ever interact with other departments so you never get the sense you work for a big company just this small group in your department. We also rarely get to do anything fun or creative at work to change things up. There is literally no culture to this organization and management has no concern with creating a culture and working to make it known and stick.

"Bridgepoint Education or Ashford University"

Former Employee - Admissions Department in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Department in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great mission, some good benefits like free tuition or 401 k matching (up to 3%), some great people work there (very talented and mission driven)

Cons

work/life balance is difficult because in almost every role you feel guilty to take even a day off of work, little to no job security (Ashford and Bridgepoint) have let go some of the most talented people unfortunately, top executive leaders did not adapt well to the changing federal regulations, highly stressful environment, tenure and experience not appreciated as in other companies

Advice to Management

executive leaders should have more one-on-one meetings with leadership and frontline staff to UNDERSTAND what is actually happening, you have to give before you can take but yet you operate in a take, take, take way which is not great for morale or trust, stay focused on the mission and the success (ROI) will be a natural bi-product

"Enrollment Service Advisor"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

This company has a great atmosphere when it comes to the workspace. They also create a very warm environment when it comes to your co workers.

Cons

This place is the scariest place I've ever worked for. Management is not understanding at all. Even with deaths in the family. They will press fear into your mind. Even while in training. It seems like I see one person disappear every day. I would be scared to even see how many people they fire. Seriously. I pray everyday that I get to keep my job.

Advice to Management

You really need to treat the employees like humans. I know that money is important, but we have families, illness, and other life changing events. Be reasonable.

"Don't do it"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

You meet a lot of great people while working there. They give you free food and sometimes even a water bottle.

Cons

There is no room for growth in this company. There is no job stability and extremely high turnover within the company.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the employees who have to deal with the students on a regular basis. You may actually learn a thing or two.

"Leadership position"

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to work with and the overall mission of the company are the only pros....Great place to get a taste of the corporate life, learn, grow somewhat but definitely not a long term company. Sad but true. Stability is an unknown thing there and no I was not laid off.

Cons

EVPs of HR and IT are the most amazing leaders in the Org and has the toughest job trying to keep that place afloat. Don't know how or why they show up everyday.

The earnings call says it all. Bridgepoint has earned the name "The Titanic" for a reason

Advice to Management

Step up, time for new leaders or the company will sink sooner than later. Who's the CEO??? Never see him or hear from him unless it's prefabricated email he didn't even write. Out of touch. The 21% approval is for real. If you're looking for a puddle jump, you found your spot.

I gave 2 stars because the people and culture are amazing. The rest...I wouldn't recommend.

"Too big, too fast"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay was good
    Use of technology and innovation great

Cons

Executive leadership only in it for the money
    Culture dying on the vine, waiting for the next round of layoffs

Advice to Management

Man up and realize when you are in over your head