Bridgepoint Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • What upper management doesn't realize is that advisors aren't happy with the direction of the company (in 13 reviews)

• It always seems to be a cost savings method and as time goes on great people are let go and those who stay, most are always looking to leave (in 7 reviews)

"Underpaid, and lack of direction from leadership = little investment"

Current Employee - Strategic Partnerships Representative in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Strategic Partnerships Representative in Remote, OR

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

- great flexibility with schedule (remote)
    - great opportunities to travel and gain experience building relationships with hr professionals in large companies
    - a great deal of autonomy

Cons

- low pay
    - unorganized leadership has led to frustration from many on the team and lack of investment in the mission
    - frustrating being in a remote role at times due to feeling disconnected
    - lack of transparency of team changes and things that effect the roles for staff

Advice to Management

Focus more on the development of your lower level staff.

"Leader Developer, great benefits."

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Develop as a person. Great pay, great medical, flexible schedules available. Values based fun organization! It is a place I want to come to everyday! Love my leadership and the opportunity to grow!

Cons

The parking can be challenging at times. The gym is not very up to date and the locker room has a single shower and tiny lockers.

Advice to Management

Executives could be a little more visible and accessible, the CEO is obviously attempting to do this however the rest are incognito. I'd bet half the people on my floor wouldn't recognize the COO!

"For those thirsty for a sense of purpose in the work they do..."

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Bridgepoint Education is the parent company for Ashford University and University of the Rockies. They strive to provide higher education to anyone who is willing to do the work to achieve this. They strive to make sure that cost, location, and schedule are not barriers that get in the way of a student's ability to succeed. The mission is to impact students lives in a profound way; one that reverberates positively throughout that student's life and that of their families for years to come. What a wonderful mission! The employees of Bridgepoint Education are some of the most passionate people who rally around a cause that you just don't see at other companies. The compensation and benefits are good. The leadership team is excellent and getting better - there is a number of new senior leaders that are helping to improve company performance and further improve the work culture. It's primarily located in two great cities - San Diego and Denver. The work is fast paced, and very collaborative across departments. There is an increasing sense of "team" to get meaningful work done that benefits our students. It helps to get people and departments to prioritize correctly the work that gets done. The organization is pretty lean, which means that you have an opportunity to touch a lot of different areas of the business and influence positive change. This should appeal to those who don't want to be just another cog in a big corporate machine. I've worked here since 2008, and am more optimistic about this company's prospects today than I was on my first day! The future looks very bright, from my vantage point.

Cons

Our company has endured some excessive scrutiny from the media and political pressures in the past that make people hesitant. Smart people will, however, do a thorough amount of diligence, and likely learn that any negativity was highly overblown. We've had a fair amount of turnover in the past, both company and employee initiated, however the work force seems to be gelling much better as we do a better job of selecting great candidates that embrace the mission, and as we do a better job of planning for the current and future needs of the company's employment needs.

Advice to Management

Continue with your ever improving efforts to pull in lots of employee perspective on what works/doesn't work in the business. There are a LOT of talented people in this organization who are just as motivated to help create huge impact in the student's life that will, by default, improve company performance among our peers. I'm highly encouraged by what I see thus far, and look forward to more of the same.

"The People make this place Special and Unique"

Current Employee - New Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - New Vice President in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down, the culture here is special. Excellent benefits to include paid volunteer hours, donation matching, degrees/education, and a phenomenal campus. We have a lot of work ahead of us to get to Great Place to Work and prepare the company for future growth, but we know we have the people and the plan to do it. Excellent place to bring best practices to. There is an appetite for change and for implementing "best in class" processes to achieve the mission. Outstanding philosophy of internal mobility.

Cons

Lacking internal systems and metrics/information to execute. Manual processes abound, but new systems and resources are being reviewed. The building ergonomics is a bit-old school if you're coming from Tech, but it's a known item to be evaluated.

Advice to Management

Over communicate. Don't under-sell the culture and ingredients. As other companies fade away in SD, BPI/AU is a stand-out and worthy of attracting the very best talent to help us pivot and innovate.

"Lifetime Entry Level"

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people one works with are the best; they keep you sane.

Cons

No upward movement, no development and you're constantly the excuse management has for not meeting numbers

Advice to Management

Develop within and stop hiring every three months. Take your employees seriously.

6. "Not worth it"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Amazing mission - helping people gain access to innovative higher education.

Cons

Constant fear of termination. No matter how well you are doing, if the company is in a down-swing (like they currently are) they will dig until they find enough people to get rid of.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees that love their jobs.

"Horrible FAKE environment"

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits, coworkers are well-educated.

Cons

Students are not set up to be successful. The school cares more about bringing in money then they do about the quality of education or what is the best situation for the student.

Advice to Management

Treat the people that work for YOU, better. Respect goes a long way.

"Enrollment Services Advisor"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Great learning opportunities, sales experience, cool people to work with, office in an awesome location, free education

Cons

A lot of cold calling, constant organizational change, not exactly what I thought I would be doing

Advice to Management

Be consistent

"Enrollment Services Advisor"

Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Enrollment Services Advisor in Denver, CO

Pros

• Salary
    • Benefits: Tuition Reimbursement, Health, 401k match, day off for volunteering
    • Great co-workers
    • Nice work environment

Cons

• Program competition between schools makes enrollment difficult
    • High goals, stressful at times
    • Shifting management, turnover is high

10. "Bridgepoint Education"

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time

Pros

Good co-workers
    Competitive benefits
    Good working environment

Cons

Sometimes words and actions don't match-up
    Not really a place for career advancement for employees in the 40-50+ age range
    Interdepartmental communication is still challenging

Advice to Management

Lead by example
    All age ranges are relevant for career advancement consideration and many employees have applicable experience and skills that can contribute to the company's goals, objectives and vision