Bridgewater Associates Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 17, 2020

Bridgewater Associates CEO David McCormick
David McCormick
Pros
  • "There are a lot of smart people and you get to learn a lot(in 56 reviews)

• "Incredible Benefits (401k, Medical, Free-Food, Transportation, Meditation rooms)(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Potentially poor work life balance(in 30 reviews)

• "Long hours, not a ton of work life/balance particularly if you want to go far, career pathing could use some work, location isn't ideal(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Opportunity to work with driven and authentic people. Challenging and demands a lot of you but incredibly rewarding"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, no bs type of culture, lots of opportunity to grow and learn, authentic leaders, the ability to give upward feedback is really refreshing.

Cons

Long hours, not a ton of work life/balance particularly if you want to go far, career pathing could use some work, location isn't ideal. The culture is definitely not for everyone but can be incredibly refreshing and developmental under certain managers

2. "Great place if you are a good fit"

Former Employee - Multiple Positions

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

The benefits are top of the line across the board Generally fair compensation

Cons

Potentially poor work life balance

"Challenging, but Great Place to work"

5.0

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Surrounded by super-smart colleagues who are driven and hold a high standard for their work Clear care for you by management and colleagues (have made truly incredible friends) Great benefits People tell it like it is Constantly put in positions to receive feedback and grow

Cons

Culture can be overwhelming at times (difficult to always be engaged with it) Company is promoting work flexibility and runs shuttles for commuting purposes, but work/Life balance suffers due to location in CT (I live in NYC) Not clear career paths outside of tech/investment communities, which can make it more difficult to carve out future roles

"Cult like environment"

Former Employee - Leverage in Westport, CT

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great perks -free lunch, snacks food and compensation is higher than norm

Cons

no work life balance, if you don’t drink the kool-aid (culture) you are out. Way too many thinkers and not enough doers.

"Stressful, Micromanaging, and Closed Minded"

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate in Westport, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stocked pantries, interesting work from time to time.

Cons

Run away from this place. People don't live in reality here. No matter what you say or how you say it, it will never be right - you will be criticized for everything you do or even think about doing, day in and day out. It will almost certainly be a step back in your career. Non-existent work life balance.

Continue reading

"If you can deal with the culture, you will thrive"

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

Culture, friends, compensation, parties are great

Cons

Culture, working with people can be difficult, decisions are slow, work-life balance

"Work hard play hard"

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

Everyone's voice is heard. Praise and criticism are given freely. Free lunch, snacks, drinks, dinner if you work past 7pm, onsite gym/showers and fun team building events.

Cons

Criticism is given too freely. Expected to work 10+ hours a day, work life balance is non-existant.

"Dog Years of Learning"

I worked at Bridgewater Associates full-time

Pros

BW is dog years of learning. You’re challenged intellectually and supported by incredible people who are deeply invested in your growth. BW is very much a place where the sky is the limit and the possibilities for your career are what you make of them. Through hard work, curiosity, and openness to learning, you can grow within the organization and take on more responsibility rapidly and will consistently be pushed and lifted.

Cons

For me, I was commuting from quite a distance to CT, which became too much on the work / life balance scale.

"Great development experience"

Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The learning. I'm surrounded by smart, talented people who challenge me, and invest heavily in my personal development. I see real progress in my ability to structure/solve problems and communicate with senior mgmt. I equate many of my experiences to a practical business degree. The culture. Yes, a culture of transparency & accountability can feel intense, but for me, the many benefits far outweigh any cons. I'm encouraged to have a voice (which is liberating) and genuine relationships with my manager and colleagues (no closed door politics). Challenging yet inspiring to work for a company that is consistently optimizing for quality.

Cons

I commute from NYC to CT, which ultimately impacts my work/life balance. But this is my choice, and is more than justified by what I'm gaining from the experience. The firm is at important point in its story (i.e., the institutionalization of a boutique, founder-led firm). Rapid growth over the years has led to a lot of organizational inefficiency, redundancy, & waste. Senior mgmt. is aware of this & addressing it, but it can lead to some frustration on a day to day basis.

Continue reading

"BW a great company, (but...)"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Bridgewater Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Open, honest work environment. Hard working smart people who care deeply about their work and each other (most of the time)

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge. Principled bullies do exist.

Found 30 reviews