Bridgewater Associates Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 20, 2020

Found 30 of over 473 reviews

3.9
Bridgewater Associates CEO David McCormick
David McCormick
Pros
  • "Work with exceptionally smart people, you get out of it what you put into it(in 63 reviews)

• "Comp, benefits are second to none, free food, good people(in 28 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Potentially poor work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• "Long hours, not a ton of work life/balance particularly if you want to go far, career pathing could use some work, location isn't ideal(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bridgewater Associates and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Opportunity to work with driven and authentic people. Challenging and demands a lot of you but incredibly rewarding

Jun 11, 2020 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, no bs type of culture, lots of opportunity to grow and learn, authentic leaders, the ability to give upward feedback is really refreshing.

Cons

Long hours, not a ton of work life/balance particularly if you want to go far, career pathing could use some work, location isn't ideal. The culture is definitely not for everyone but can be incredibly refreshing and developmental under certain managers

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great place if you are a good fit

Jun 17, 2020 - Multiple Positions
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are top of the line across the board Generally fair compensation

Cons

Potentially poor work life balance

3. 3.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Internship

Sep 20, 2020 - Investment Intern in Westport, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Intelligent employees, pay and benefits

Cons

Culture and work life balance,

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Challenging, but Great Place to work

Sep 20, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Surrounded by super-smart colleagues who are driven and hold a high standard for their work Clear care for you by management and colleagues (have made truly incredible friends) Great benefits People tell it like it is Constantly put in positions to receive feedback and grow

Cons

Culture can be overwhelming at times (difficult to always be engaged with it) Company is promoting work flexibility and runs shuttles for commuting purposes, but work/Life balance suffers due to location in CT (I live in NYC) Not clear career paths outside of tech/investment communities, which can make it more difficult to carve out future roles

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Cult like environment

Mar 13, 2019 - Leverage in Westport, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

great perks -free lunch, snacks food and compensation is higher than norm

Cons

no work life balance, if you don’t drink the kool-aid (culture) you are out. Way too many thinkers and not enough doers.

11 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Company if you share their values

Jan 29, 2016 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ray's Principles aligned really well with the way I think, and I still believe in operating the way that I did while at Bridgewater. I was surrounded by brilliant people who constantly challenged my thinking down to the core of who I was, and helped to shape me and improve it. The perks and benefits were fantastic from health insurance coverage to lunch and snack provided with fully stocked kitchens.

Cons

There was a great deal of expectation around acting like an owner for your role, yet it felt like they didn't treat you like an owner. There was also a heavy emphasis on believability. The concept makes sense, where your opinion on something is taken into account only as much as you are a beliveable and reliable subject matter expert. For instance, I was an admin, so my believability on many things was fairly low compared to others higher up. However, I came from a fairly diverse background where I was previously a project manager and had insight that others may not have had necessarily. My thoughts and opinions were typically dismiss due to my believability which really discredits the idea meritocracy that they preach. I think it is something that is more recent to the company since they have grown so much and have so much turnover. There's also no work/life balance. I worked an average of 10-12 hours per day, sometimes 14-16. Seems to be the trend there.

Continue reading
      9 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I've loved my experience at BW (but realize it's not for everyone)

Nov 27, 2013 - Management Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

(I've been at Bridgewater 5+ years) - challenging environment that promotes rapid personal development: i've grown tremendously since working here in ways that have impacted both my professional and personal life, if i got nothing more than that from my experience working here, it would have been worth it. - caliber of people: have had the opportunity to work with extremely bright, conceptual individuals that have fascinating backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. - community/meaningful relationships: the community is very tight knit and i've developed some very strong relationships and wonderful relationships during my time here. There are many BW ppl - both current and former employees- that are a significant part of my/my husband's life.

Cons

- can be difficult to maintain work/life balance: it's a demanding environment and the hours can be long (but in my experience definitely not as long/bad compared to ibanking or other wall street options) - nature of environment/challenges can be stressful: I am naturally a high anxiety person, so i've had my bouts of struggles with stress and anxiety while working here. It is intellectually demanding and the culture, while i love and appreciate it, can be difficult at times and i have to deliberately put in place mechanisms for myself to ensure i'm maintaining perspective and balancing emotions. - culture is not for everyone: you certain have to have a certain value set to work here, and i recognize and appreciate it's not for everyone. I've met fantastic people who just don't click with the culture.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

If you can deal with the culture, you will thrive

Nov 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, friends, compensation, parties are great

Cons

Culture, working with people can be difficult, decisions are slow, work-life balance

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Best place I have worked in before starting my own company

Jun 10, 2015 - Senior Management Associate in Westport, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn about yourself. Culture is based on truth and honesty with a constant flow of feedback, which leads to a great opportunity to hear what people all around you truly think about you realtime and gain for a truer self-evaluation / opportunity to improve Growth opportunity. Company is very open to lateral and vertical movement...just comes down to your own abilities and desire to grow. My own path was from a part time consultant in technology to a full-time employee working directly for the CEO. Work with great people. Some of the smartest and brightest around, and a true caring that I felt transcended work.

Cons

Work-life balance. Job can be all consuming, very long days are normal, and leaving the job at the job is tough: you can find yourself thinking about the feedback hours/days later.

13 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great development experience

Nov 20, 2017 - Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

The learning. I'm surrounded by smart, talented people who challenge me, and invest heavily in my personal development. I see real progress in my ability to structure/solve problems and communicate with senior mgmt. I equate many of my experiences to a practical business degree. The culture. Yes, a culture of transparency & accountability can feel intense, but for me, the many benefits far outweigh any cons. I'm encouraged to have a voice (which is liberating) and genuine relationships with my manager and colleagues (no closed door politics). Challenging yet inspiring to work for a company that is consistently optimizing for quality.

Cons

I commute from NYC to CT, which ultimately impacts my work/life balance. But this is my choice, and is more than justified by what I'm gaining from the experience. The firm is at important point in its story (i.e., the institutionalization of a boutique, founder-led firm). Rapid growth over the years has led to a lot of organizational inefficiency, redundancy, & waste. Senior mgmt. is aware of this & addressing it, but it can lead to some frustration on a day to day basis.

Continue reading