Briggs & Stratton Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Milwaukee, WI Area

"Junk place to work"

Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, get 10 personal days

Cons

constant harassment, stalking, not treating all employees same way, discriminate and do not accomodate for people with a disability (certain white males), do not follow senority for daily jobs and permanent jobs, keep people on training for EXCESSIVE periods of time in essence for cheaper labor, management does not investigate issues in a sense take one person's word and that is it, some people have to stand while doing jobs while others doing same job are allowed to sit, management lets minorities more leeway in terms of violations of rules and regulations, wrongful writeups, management does not follow through when offering employees refresher training (only minorities received refresher training), managemnet does not follow code of conduct as it relates to discrimination, stalking, harassment, treating ALL people equally based on sex, race, nationality and people with disabilities and lastly management constantly threatens certain people on a regular basis.

I informed cmpany day one that I had a disability and management resorted to EVERY possible way to not accomodate my disability. I had been given a handbook which stated Briggs does not discriminate (in this case based on disability)

Don't figure on getting a reference from Briggs because they do the following: charge a fee, take one month to followup and in some cases hang up when a potential contacts for a reference check

Advice to Management

be fair to everybody (that is never going to happen)

"Decline of a once great company"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company provides a nice Tuition reimbursement program and offers decent competitive pay

Cons

Definite "silos" in upper management - the very thing they preach to be trying to eliminate. If you have a "friend" on the inside, you are fast tracked to the top of the heap. The blame game runs rampant and the best hard-working employees are alienated and made to feel insignificant. While we were told there was an "open door" policy, as soon as you voice a concern, the reply is always "hey, you are replaceable". Nice.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from the almighty dollar and put a little more focus on work life of the average employee (union AND salary). To eliminate benefits due to "financial reasons" and then produce an annual report showing CEOs still receiving multi-MILLION dollar bonuses is a slap in the face. I know, you hope we don't read it, but we do....

"quality union"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job. There are some very nice, hard working people on the assembly lines in the product plant.

Cons

No procedures, not ISO certified, new to the job and some people are very click and critical of everything you do to the point of harassment. 6am to 2:30 pm with a 10 minute break and 30 minute lunch - very fast paced with no quality review on the line. Some of the nasty people watch you constantly and pick at you... it is hard to stay away from them but they are mainly in the shop floor office.

Advice to Management

Wow. What a mess. No segregation of non-conforming material.fork trucks wizz through the aisles like a freeway although they are good drivers, scary. Incoming stock is placed wherever so almost impossible to find.lots of lost time looking for parts for the line or to inspect. Start with a nonconforming segregation area. Any steps to place stock in designated areas is better than ignoring the stock issue, there is no FIFO. Plus 1 week vacation an no ability to be sick is crazy.

"Assembler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

You get hired ASAP after you interview

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. No professionalism. Don't even provide refrigerator for lunches. Most employees don't last a week.

Advice to Management

Retired

"Review"

Former Employee - Assembler in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than a year)

Pros

Its a steady paycheck and you will never have a dull day

Cons

Discrimination and can't move forward unless you look the part.

Advice to Management

Pay attention, treat everyone equal and acknowledge the hard work that your workers give. Stop treating your workers like live stock.

"manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

competitive salary, great benefits if you work at corp headquarters in WI.

Cons

Upper Management holds no one accountable. Decisions are not made based on facts but emotions.

Advice to Management

Have a brand strategy for the brands in the products division and support it with the resources and money needed to be successful.

"Innovation Movement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leadership Team is a promoter of Innovation. The last few years the company has released great innovation products. The annual Innovation Show Case meeting has been a good addition for recognition.

Cons

There are some employees in Director and Manager roles where they are doing day-to-day operations instead of leading. The innovation vision then gets stopped by these Directors and Managers.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in technology recommendations by the IT organization. Take a close look at the output from the Director roles.

9. "Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Briggs & Stratton is large enough to provide a lot of opportunity for growth, but small enough you don't get lost in the shuffle. Our focus on acquisitions, commercial equipment, and international expansion is creating many doors that can be opened for those who are smart and ambitious. The work/life balance is also great.

Cons

We move slower than I would like. The facilities are maintained well, but they are getting old. It would be nice to start remodeling some of the older areas.

Advice to Management

The direction we're going is positive; we just need to move faster. Keep investing in innovation, and keep looking at broadening our product portfolio.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great family oriented company. Until the past 7 years. Was solid slow growth company with stable market and sales.

Cons

Management very slow to see future vision with sales director who does not embrace change or the challenges needed to make projects successful. B&S looks at short 3 year gains instead of long term growth:(

Advice to Management

Embrace your founders vision of being the leaders in embracing being entrepreneurs in industry. Look at long term growth rather than shorterm growth. Listen to your employees and get rid of all the vice presidents that filter the employee suggestions!

"RSSM"

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time

Pros

Great opportunity, some great people, excellent opportunities.

Cons

Still has a "good ole boy" network.

Advice to Management

Replace Todd