Briggs & Stratton Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Briggs & Stratton Milwaukee Reviews

Updated September 29, 2017

Milwaukee, WI Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, laid back enviroment (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and an on site health clinic (in 8 reviews)

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k and benefits

Cons

Fake management that will make you feel like a number in a hurry. Pay is minimal and work/life balance is not there yet. The whispers of unhappiness is everywhere.

Advice to Management

No advice will be taken to heart. The worst management I've personally reported to.

"What's behind those doors?"

Current Employee - Set-up Technician/Technologist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Set-up Technician/Technologist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, steady hours, and all three shifts available for most positions.

Cons

Terrible company culture that starts at the top and works its way down. It's not the worst job I've ever had and it's also not the lowest paying job I've ever had so I am grateful to have the opportunity to work for Briggs but if another opportunity came along that had similar pay and benefits I would leave in a heart beat.

Advice to Management

Negative reinforcement never works as well as positive reinforcement. When employees aren't respected and treated like adults they don't care about the company and this leads to poor quality products, bad work ethic, and lost time. When you give your workers responsibility they will find a way to get things done but instead Briggs management takes away everyones freedom to think and this has shown to be damaging to the company.

3. "Technical Service Lead"

Current Employee - Technical Service Lead in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Service Lead in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work with a lot of great things happening. Glad to see there are some things still built in America

Cons

Management can be hard to work with sometimes. A lot of salaried employees tend to disappear early especially on Friday's.

4. "Briggs & Stratton Contract employee review"

Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, and very nice team to work with. The working environment is generally comfortable and the work is consistent.

Cons

As a contract employee, there are no benefits and no real potential for advancement or salary increase.

"IT is all contract work"

Current Employee - IT Tech in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - IT Tech in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Good people, good hours, pleasant atmosphere, average salaries.

Cons

Almost all IT is contract work and no benefits are provided because of this.

Advice to Management

Make your IT more invested in the company by hiring directly and providing benefits and vacation pay

6. "IT Financial Analyst Intern"

Current Intern - Financial Analyst - Intern in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Intern - Financial Analyst - Intern in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with really good co-workers. Really helped me learn as much as I could during my internship. Would recommend this company very much, at least in the IT department.

Cons

A lot of moving around of people, some confusion on who to report to at some times.

"Completely out of touch"

Former Employee - Union Warehouse Worker in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Union Warehouse Worker in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Holiday Shutdown was the only pro. Compensation was out-of-line at best. Some folks got paid more to do work that did not warrant the pay and others were severely underpaid doing jobs that should have commanded much more.

Cons

Everything besides Holiday Shutdown was a negative. Poor management, poor communication, poor work-life balance as a result. Management's shortcomings led to several mandatory weekend overtime shifts which destroyed any kind of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Ask questions as to why you're forced to implement policies that don't make any sense. Furthermore, when such policies arise, explain to your workforce why they are in place instead of throwing out orders that don't make any sense and expecting you will get people that take pride in what they're doing.

"Junk place to work"

Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, get 10 personal days

Cons

constant harassment, stalking, not treating all employees same way, discriminate and do not accomodate for people with a disability (certain white males), do not follow senority for daily jobs and permanent jobs, keep people on training for EXCESSIVE periods of time in essence for cheaper labor, management does not investigate issues in a sense take one person's word and that is it, some people have to stand while doing jobs while others doing same job are allowed to sit, management lets minorities more leeway in terms of violations of rules and regulations, wrongful writeups, management does not follow through when offering employees refresher training (only minorities received refresher training), managemnet does not follow code of conduct as it relates to discrimination, stalking, harassment, treating ALL people equally based on sex, race, nationality and people with disabilities and lastly management constantly threatens certain people on a regular basis.

I informed cmpany day one that I had a disability and management resorted to EVERY possible way to not accomodate my disability. I had been given a handbook which stated Briggs does not discriminate (in this case based on disability)

Don't figure on getting a reference from Briggs because they do the following: charge a fee, take one month to followup and in some cases hang up when a potential contacts for a reference check

Advice to Management

be fair to everybody (that is never going to happen)

"Decline of a once great company"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company provides a nice Tuition reimbursement program and offers decent competitive pay

Cons

Definite "silos" in upper management - the very thing they preach to be trying to eliminate. If you have a "friend" on the inside, you are fast tracked to the top of the heap. The blame game runs rampant and the best hard-working employees are alienated and made to feel insignificant. While we were told there was an "open door" policy, as soon as you voice a concern, the reply is always "hey, you are replaceable". Nice.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from the almighty dollar and put a little more focus on work life of the average employee (union AND salary). To eliminate benefits due to "financial reasons" and then produce an annual report showing CEOs still receiving multi-MILLION dollar bonuses is a slap in the face. I know, you hope we don't read it, but we do....

"quality union"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Briggs & Stratton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job. There are some very nice, hard working people on the assembly lines in the product plant.

Cons

No procedures, not ISO certified, new to the job and some people are very click and critical of everything you do to the point of harassment. 6am to 2:30 pm with a 10 minute break and 30 minute lunch - very fast paced with no quality review on the line. Some of the nasty people watch you constantly and pick at you... it is hard to stay away from them but they are mainly in the shop floor office.

Advice to Management

Wow. What a mess. No segregation of non-conforming material.fork trucks wizz through the aisles like a freeway although they are good drivers, scary. Incoming stock is placed wherever so almost impossible to find.lots of lost time looking for parts for the line or to inspect. Start with a nonconforming segregation area. Any steps to place stock in designated areas is better than ignoring the stock issue, there is no FIFO. Plus 1 week vacation an no ability to be sick is crazy.