Briggs & Stratton Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Briggs & Stratton Chairman, President, and CEO Todd J. Teske
Todd J. Teske

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, laid back enviroment (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits and an on site health clinic (in 8 reviews)

Cons

1. "Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time

Pros

Overall they offer a great benefits package to employees, especially the retirement and vacation/holiday time off.

Cons

The most toxic environment I’ve ever worked in. I was a salaried employee at a plant. If anything at the plant level went wrong, management was trying to get a name to blame instead of fixing the process. This creates a toxic environment where once teamwork was fostered. It is crazy how fast this type of management style can turn a plant into chaos.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and stop reminding them how replaceable they are.

"Welder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munnsville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munnsville, NY

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money for area is good

Cons

The inner circle of the good ol boy club keeps the kiss ups going and working people held back.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about people management in plants.

"Service"

Former Employee - Service Sector in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Service Sector in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Pros have left the building. If it helps the employee the upper Management will take it away. We have a $5.00 Health Center.

Cons

Where do I begin...employees being walked out the doors daily(FIRED) including myself. Older employees treated like dirt. Vacations are being cut or not givin. We had a great Bonus Program and that was cut in half by the Management but they still get 100% of their wage and preferred shares as a bonus? Get ready for 20% Pay Cuts for current employees starting in September 2017. If you are lucky you might get to keep your job if you take the paycut. The new GRANITE PROGRAM will make sure more employees will be fired. If you make over $20.00 an hour at Briggs and Stratton you are making way too much (Manager actually told me that)! Insurance will go up again for sure as it has the past 10 years. Raises used to be only 1-2% yearly which the Insurance increase wiped out.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't take advice so don't bother giving it!

"Completely out of touch"

Former Employee - Union Warehouse Worker in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Union Warehouse Worker in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Holiday Shutdown was the only pro. Compensation was out-of-line at best. Some folks got paid more to do work that did not warrant the pay and others were severely underpaid doing jobs that should have commanded much more.

Cons

Everything besides Holiday Shutdown was a negative. Poor management, poor communication, poor work-life balance as a result. Management's shortcomings led to several mandatory weekend overtime shifts which destroyed any kind of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Ask questions as to why you're forced to implement policies that don't make any sense. Furthermore, when such policies arise, explain to your workforce why they are in place instead of throwing out orders that don't make any sense and expecting you will get people that take pride in what they're doing.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Pros

Nothing positive to say about Briggs.

Cons

Company is very much a big corporate machine. No accountability, leadership shows lack of integrity and no real room to grow.

"Junk place to work"

Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - DC Warehouse Operations in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, get 10 personal days

Cons

constant harassment, stalking, not treating all employees same way, discriminate and do not accomodate for people with a disability (certain white males), do not follow senority for daily jobs and permanent jobs, keep people on training for EXCESSIVE periods of time in essence for cheaper labor, management does not investigate issues in a sense take one person's word and that is it, some people have to stand while doing jobs while others doing same job are allowed to sit, management lets minorities more leeway in terms of violations of rules and regulations, wrongful writeups, management does not follow through when offering employees refresher training (only minorities received refresher training), managemnet does not follow code of conduct as it relates to discrimination, stalking, harassment, treating ALL people equally based on sex, race, nationality and people with disabilities and lastly management constantly threatens certain people on a regular basis.

I informed cmpany day one that I had a disability and management resorted to EVERY possible way to not accomodate my disability. I had been given a handbook which stated Briggs does not discriminate (in this case based on disability)

Don't figure on getting a reference from Briggs because they do the following: charge a fee, take one month to followup and in some cases hang up when a potential contacts for a reference check

Advice to Management

be fair to everybody (that is never going to happen)

"Decline of a once great company"

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company provides a nice Tuition reimbursement program and offers decent competitive pay

Cons

Definite "silos" in upper management - the very thing they preach to be trying to eliminate. If you have a "friend" on the inside, you are fast tracked to the top of the heap. The blame game runs rampant and the best hard-working employees are alienated and made to feel insignificant. While we were told there was an "open door" policy, as soon as you voice a concern, the reply is always "hey, you are replaceable". Nice.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from the almighty dollar and put a little more focus on work life of the average employee (union AND salary). To eliminate benefits due to "financial reasons" and then produce an annual report showing CEOs still receiving multi-MILLION dollar bonuses is a slap in the face. I know, you hope we don't read it, but we do....

"Pathetic"

Pros

Milwaukee is a great city.

Cons

Most deceitful, backstabbing, lying female managers I've ever worked with.

"Assembler"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

You get hired ASAP after you interview

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. No professionalism. Don't even provide refrigerator for lunches. Most employees don't last a week.

Advice to Management

Retired

"Review"

Former Employee - Assembler in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Assembler in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Briggs & Stratton (More than a year)

Pros

Its a steady paycheck and you will never have a dull day

Cons

Discrimination and can't move forward unless you look the part.

Advice to Management

Pay attention, treat everyone equal and acknowledge the hard work that your workers give. Stop treating your workers like live stock.