Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
Cons
  • Pay is a bit low (depending on job) but most are entry level part time jobs, so that's to be expected (in 46 reviews)

• cannot work more than 20 hours a week if a student (in 42 reviews)

1. "BYU janitorial positions"

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time

Pros

Better pay than most campus jobs

Cons

It's early morning every day

2. "Employee benefits outdated (especially parental leave)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time working for BYU, and attending as a student. Great place to get an education! Overall, I liked working in a purpose driven environment, with highly motivated colleagues.

Cons

The main reason for the poor rating is simply to call attention to the irony that BYU (an institution which supports strong family values), has a very lack luster approach to its parental leave policies. Nothing beyond the statutory requirements of the law is offered. No paid time off for mothers or fathers (unless they use their vacation days). I expect more from an institution of this caliber and mission.

Advice to Management

Please take a hard look at the support BYU should be providing to the families of its employees, as part of its family-centric focus in all other areas.

"Motivation"

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is very friendly and desires to serve and help one another to reach their potential and become more christlike. Very admirable people.

Cons

A lot of not so motivated people. Most people that work for BYU never would make it in the real world, so they picked a job with minimal oversight to avoid problems. Not much of a corporate structure.

5. "BYU-Idaho Express Print and Copy"

Former Employee - Team Member in Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Team Member in Rexburg, ID

Pros

The job was easy and steady. I always knew what to expect when I came in and was always able to accomplish the tasks that customers needed me to.

Cons

The job was pretty boring, and the pay wasn't very good. We usually had to print students' homework, so the customers were pretty cranky and rushed.

Advice to Management

I think the printers used could be improved, because they are always jamming. Also, training should focus on being efficient, because as a customer, I have come in and spent 40 minutes trying to get one poster printed.

6. "Teacher Liaison"

Former Employee - Teacher Liaison in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Teacher Liaison in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are close to campus, so you can walk to and from work/classes. Ability to meet new people as most employees are students. They are willing to work with you to set hours around your classes.

Cons

Some of the coworkers can be shallow and petty. The management at times is disorganized and flip flops on what they said/what they meant. Somewhat petty/pedantic rules, which I can understand given the intellect of most my coworkers, but still frustrating to anyone who wants to be treated as a professional.

Advice to Management

Need to be less concerned about making sure people are busy and more focused on creating a better product.

"Byu"

Current Employee - Professor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Professor in Provo, UT

Pros

Good students and a clean environment coupled with a good library and a great research environment make byu a good place to be. Also, provo is a delightful place to live.

Cons

The environment is emotionally, culturally and politically repressive. There is zero tolerance from the rigid standards set by the LDS church

Advice to Management

Lighten up, understand and tolerate individual difference. Be less concerned with how things might appear to the world and more concerned with personal needs and variation.

8. "Good work"

Pros

Good benefits, friendly co-workers, work life balance

Cons

Bad pay, no where to move and grow.

9. "TA"

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) (Less than a year)

Pros

BYU pays TA's fairly well. They go to great lengths to employ students.

Cons

Not a lot of hours. Hours vary depending on professor. No benefits.

10. "Your working for a church"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Rexburg, ID
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Rexburg, ID

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good, experience If you want to really learn a subject than be a TA/ or Tutor, plus you get to expand your education durring school and get paid for it

Cons

you are working for a school owned by a church. They treat you like you are doing community service. They provide the tools books and supplies, and pay you seemingly nothing.

11. "There are better opportunities elsewhere"

Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Student Supervisor in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One Stop Student Services is a great place to meet new people and really feel like you belong to a cohort of students. You work with the same 20 people for your three-hour shift every single day.

Cons

Trying customers, management has their hands tied on most issues because of the administration of BYU, once you know the information the job can become extremely boring, the hours are not flexible and this is not a student-friendly job.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some way to better staff the students and create an environment where they are truly helping the BYU student body. A lot of what we do is not communicated well to the student and they are stuck wondering what the next step is. It would be nice to pull the students out of the dark.

Showing 20 of 1,320 reviews