Brigham Young University (BYU) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin J. Worthen

Pros
Cons
  • Doesn't pay that much but good for part time college work (in 46 reviews)

• Max of 20 hours per week across all jobs during the semester (in 42 reviews)

1. "PR"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office was flexible with hours, able to work more hours during off semesters.

Cons

My manager left and took 4 months to replace position. They hired someone from BYU who was strongly disliked in her previous capacity. BYU doesn't care how student employees are treated.

2. "Fab Shop"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) (More than a year)

Pros

Lively spirit and very genuinely nice people.

Cons

Very strict lifestyle and Grooming Standards

3. "BYU is fine, but look elsewhere"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are generally very diligent. Nice facilities.

Cons

It is not right for an institution to impose an offsite honor code on their employees.

Advice to Management

I won't bother. You're not going to change.

5. "Great for students"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment. You have plenty of down time unless you are a foreign language TA. Some of the best paying student jobs on BYU campus. I hear some of the tutors play games online all day since they never get many appointments.

Cons

Noisy, have to dress up, not much of break area,

Advice to Management

Find ways to use your employees more. Most of their time gets wasted.

6. "Security Officer"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Provo, UT

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too many. It can be relaxing.

Cons

You have to follow many rules at the same time.

7. "Difficult ref job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work pays well and most of your coworkers are pretty cool people; it builds your confidence and allows you to become a stronger person

Cons

Almost every game someone is upset with you (for me, they are usually a couple years older); the hours are late at night; you have to spend free time learning more about the rules and take a test; I have never been able to go to club night

Advice to Management

Don't have such late hours

8. "Textbook Buyer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment. Great opportunity to gain results. Health insurance package has good coverage. Able to improve on soft skills like communication. Flexibility in scope.

Cons

Didnt enjoy the fact that pay was lower than expected. Also the communication between departments wasnt the best. Upset teachers.

Advice to Management

Update the store. try to reduce redundancies. Improve the POS system since reports were fairly limited in information that was provided.

9. "Teacher's Assistant of Finance"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Provo, UT

I have been working at Brigham Young University (BYU) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to be. Honestly I love BYU so much. People here are so friendly. The environment is really conducive for long term learning.

Cons

People can sometimes be annoying. I think that it could be more interesting. Sometimes you have to interact with a lot of zoobies. But hey it's Provo and I'll be leaving soon.

Advice to Management

They need to scale back on the bureaucracy. Sometimes I just feel like they in there Ivory tower just need to take a pig huge chill pill. They don't really get the real world.

10. "Convenient, but embarassing pay"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Provo, UT

Pros

It's close. You get to work with great professors and people. Easy to balance school with work

Cons

I have more expenses than ever before (tuition, housing and food), I'm working a much more technical job than ever before in my life (I work with engineering professors everyday to fabricate and test anything they may need in their research), yet I'VE NEVER BEEN PAID LESS. Ever since I was 16 I've been working for at least $10/hr. At BYU I've been paid $7.50, $8.50, and now $9.00/hr. It's pitiful how cheap this school can be and I don't think I'll be working on campus much longer. I'm not paid according to my worth and I need the money.

Advice to Management

Students working on campus don't feel valued because EVERY job off campus pays better. I had 3 jobs before coming to BYU and they lowest wage among them was $10/hour. The three jobs I've had on campus paid $7.50, $8.50 and $9.00. The only reason I haven't left to work off campus is because it's close and I need to work with professors in the major to gain a reputation and have opportunities to do research with them in grad school. But at this point, I don't think the convenience is worth it

11. "Good vision, poor execution"

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Provo, UT

Pros

The work that the office does is awesome. We help multicultural students achieve their dreams in college, recruit students that otherwise might not attend a big university, and provide opportunities to share our culture across a wide campus

Cons

The leadership in the office is very disconnected from what the students want and need. They sometimes seem more interested in building their own egos and resumes than accomplishing the office mission.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the students and what they want. Treat student employees better, which would improve morale.

Showing 121 of 1,367 reviews