Brigham and Women's Hospital Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Elizabeth G. Nabel

1. "Postdoc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here will provide you the opportunity to work with the top end medical doctors and academic researchers in any field of health related biological medicine. Truly a place to collaborate and compete with the best and brightest.

Cons

Highly competitive allowing for the administration to undercut wages.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to compensate employees better so they can afford to live in the Boston metro area above near poverty.

2. "Good experience as a student for summer internship"

Former Intern - Research Assistant Summer in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Research Assistant Summer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient public transport location. People very friendly and great to work with.

Cons

Super urban area, even more busy because of the many hospitals nearby (careful crossing the street).

3. "Research intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome mentors, nice work environment.

Cons

Salary could be a bit higher but given the reputation of BWH and competition among prospective interns, i guess overall its worth it.

Advice to Management

No advice

"No Care, No Coordination Part II"

Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brigham and Women's is a great hospital. Amazing things are happening here and seeing it first hand is a really cool experience. Great resume builder.

Cons

The Care Coordination department is probably one of the worst to work for at the Brigham. The head honchos know very little about what goes on, on a daily basis. They know nothing about what the Resource Specialist role or what we can and cannot do. We are told by management that we are an asset to the "team" but are, 100% of the time, ignored when we have questions or suggestions to improve quality of work. When something goes wrong, no matter the fault, the finger is always pointed back at the Resource Specialist. Many CCRNs are great at their and hard working individuals. Others are very rude, immature and manipulative. Medical team staff has complained to management about certain CCRNs and even and requested they be removed from their service team. Management has ignored these multiple requests due to the CCRNs being "stressed". Giving the CCRNs an excuse for this behavior makes it even worse. Often times, these are the CCRNs who are a part of every committee representing Care Coordination, which is an embarrassment. Resource Specialists never receive replies about topics, ie: vacation requests, meeting requests, simple questions. The lack of organization, knowledge, and respect make this a difficult department to work for. Many things need to change in order to make it worth staying for 2-3 years. We are very underpaid for the work we do. As college graduates, mostly in debt, there needs to be a higher minimum salary. Management expects Resource Specialists to stay for life when we are treated terribly and not paid enough in, essentially, a dead end job.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees equally. Increase pay. Train managers to know all aspects of department. Show respect to everyone.

6. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Felt respected as an employee, suggestions were followed up upon. Lots of protective SOPs so I knew exactly what I could do and could not do. My managers both encouraged and assisted attempts to further my career in different directions

Cons

Lots of SOPs that were necessary to perform my job correctly. This translated to days of reading before any real training could even begin.

7. "Research Trainee at Brigham"

Current Intern - Research Traine in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Research Traine in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of help with career and participation and engaging research projects.

Cons

Projects are sometimes intense and may require additional hours

8. "Ineffective Management in Care Coordination Dept."

Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, Union, good educational opportunities. Fair amount of atomomy in the job role.

Cons

As a Care Coordination RN I was told by a coworker that I would probably learn 3 things pretty quickly to survive: 1. The dept. has extremely poor management so don'the expect much guidance. 2. Learn to fly below the radar .3. If you want a day off you have to call in sick because staffing is so short on a regular basis. These all proved to be true. By the time I left it was even worse as the Brigham has decided that when someone quits they will not be replaced.
    There's no set amount of patients per Care Coordinator and when someone is off you are often asked to cover their service along with your own. The managers do not have your back and the only time you hear from them is if there is a complaint or problem. Don't expect to be treated like a professional and do expect to fend for yourself on a daily basis. After a while the job becomes demoralizing.

Advice to Management

You have extremely educated,experienced and hard working staff . Stop treating them like indentured servants ,listen to their ideas and concerns,and be clear on what's expected. The rules often fall into the gray zone in this dept. leaving a lot of questions and inconsistencies.

9. "Research Assistant II"

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, same time off accrual even for entry level, prestigious hospital for resumes

Cons

RAs are paid less than other positions that do not require a degree.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees that you hand picked to work for you.

10. "Excellent Teaching Hospital"

Current Employee - Insurance Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Prestigious hospital, accomplished colleagues, great opportunities to learn and advance

Cons

Not the most competitive pay.

11. "Practice Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning and development, well-resourced compared to other less prestigious hospitals in the area, excellent tradition and a culture of continuous learning.

Cons

Too much of bureaucracy can slow decision-making.