Brigham and Women's Hospital Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Brigham and Women's Hospital President Elizabeth G. Nabel
Elizabeth G. Nabel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work / Life Balance needs improvement (in 9 reviews)

• Low pay, Long hours, Repetitive work can be boring sometimes (in 16 reviews)

1. "BWH cares about each employee"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BWH is always trying to move forward with diversity and cooperation and hires to the strengths of their workers backgrounds and interests. Best boss of my life works here, and she challenges and encourages me to showcase my worth. I feel valued as an employee, who is also queer and female.

Cons

There can be a lot of disorganization from department to department, and it takes a while to be trained on protocols. Once aware of who knows what, it is fine.

Advice to Management

Having clear pathways for processes in all levels of administrative departments would be beneficial (payroll, onboarding students, event planning, etc.)

2. "CPD Technician"

Current Employee - CPD Tech in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - CPD Tech in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health Benefits Vacation Time

Cons

no advancement opportunities within the department

Advice to Management

Equal division of work supervised on a daily basis

3. "BWH"

Current Employee - Instructor/Research in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Instructor/Research in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time

Pros

Great work place. Great and protective work environment with equal opportunity for all.

Cons

Salaries are low for Boston

Advice to Management

Focus more on future growth and visionary development

4. "My Experience"

Former Contractor - Healthcare Administrator in Boston, MA
    Former Contractor - Healthcare Administrator in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I gained a wealth of knowledge and enjoyed serving the dept. of transplant surgery. You know you have chosen the right hospital when you can say hi to the President and CEO of the hospital, and receive full acknowledgment is the best feeling in the world. Not a lot of CEO's actually take the time to speak to you let alone find out your career interest. If a perm position ever became available at this hospital I would grab it in a heartbeat!

Cons

Lunch break was too short.

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time.

5. "Good place for research"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty resources and collaborations in research. People are brilliant and open to others. The health plan and other benefits are better compared to Harvard Medical School.

Cons

Very competitive place. There are some crooked people fighting very badly. Many nice and brilliant people can't get fair opportunities and select to leave.

Advice to Management

Give more support to postdocs, like more chances for grant application and green card.

6. "Former Intern"

Former Intern - Internship in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Internship in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Everyone knows that they are working for an organization aiming to be the best and it shows in everyone's work ethic and the enthusiasm
    -The Management is aware for interns that this is as much of a learning opportunity for you as it is a way for them to get work
    -The research and collaboration across Partners is huge and adds to the open environment
    -For my department at least, some interns if you do well, do get hired on
    -They believe and pay a living wage

Cons

-Some of the smaller departments can get cliquey but that's more of the people
    -Management doesn't seem to know how to give HR what they need and has a high turnover as a result which meant that the hiring process and orientation got a little bungled

Advice to Management

-Hire a full time internship person like you previously had

7. "unit coordinator thorasic surgery dept."

Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

loved everyone and everything about

Cons

transportation without a car is okay, but mbta service is crazy getting to work

8. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sense of community, lots of room to grow and learn new things about the professional world.

Cons

Not working within my field of interest/field that I am studying

9. "Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Speaking for research departments: talented people coming from great places all over the world; great health insurance benefits; flexible hours; quite many holidays.

Cons

Very poor compensation in Harvard Medical School affiliated research labs. The salary offered to these greatly educated people, who are often at the cutting edge of biomedical sciences, is a cruel insult to their intelligence. Moreover, I have not seen genuine appreciation for the hard work people do. When bosses would offer something during so-called Friday "social hour", it's going to be the cheapest pizza one can buy and canned beer served somewhere in the corner of the hall room. As far as I have seen, the benefits are intentionally structured in the way to minimize chance that the employees would get anything; for example, to qualify for pension plan one would need to work three years but turnaround in research typically is just under that time.

Advice to Management

Offer employees career path to compensate the low salary. Find ways to express appreciation of their hard work if you truly are not willing to pay appropriately.

"Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Boston, MA

Pros

The union gets nursing some benefits
    3 years gets you a pension, if you aren't tricked out of it by HR you can get an incredibly cheap heath insurance plan that is amazing, the scheduling is q 3rd weekend for anyone full time- which is only 40 hr employees- otherwise you could be working every other weekend depending on your manager. There is limited tuition reimbursement but they do give 1400 every two years for education.

Cons

The union has the hospital at odds with nursing on many issues- things are contentious at the moment. They are cutting educators and making them management. They are frequently short staffed but just added many ftes. They pay is great but I'm doing this review so I can scan Glassdoor for more info on other loca hospitals because I want a pet diem option elsewhere as the work environment isn't always great.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners on nursing. When you make the salaries you make but are increasing people's insurance costs and forcing them to pay you for healthcare I hope you understand why we all hope you lose your jobs.