Brigham and Women's Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Elizabeth G. Nabel

1. "Billing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

BWH was a wonderful and challenging place to work. It was my first job in healthcare, and I learned so much, and will also be grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

The pay could have been a bit higher, but other than that it was a great place to work.

Advice to Management

She was a great manager.

2. "Review for BWH (intern)"

Former Employee - Research Trainee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Trainee in Boston, MA

Pros

Excellent infrastructure, the workplace environment is very friendly and at the same time very focused. The location is great as well.

Cons

Was pretty satisfied with all aspects of my work there.

3. "Admin"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting position for someone interested in the healthcare industry.

Cons

Very dated methods and systems in the offices. The set-up of the offices was also strange and broken up.

5. "Great doctors and nurses but a high pressure environment"

Former Employee - Registered Dietitian in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Dietitian in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of pressure to work faster and harder
    Double coverage of units often
    Not enough staff
    Very long days

Cons

Interesting cases
    Intelligent staff who work to help patients

Advice to Management

Hire more RD's!

6. "High opportunity, low compensation"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing collaboration opportunities within the Longwood neighborhood. Access to cutting-edge facilities and cores. Decent variety of benefits and perks, which somewhat help with the poor pay.

Cons

Compensation is very low, and the managerial bureaucracy is frustrating. HR seems overwhelmed and sometimes absentee; when notified of issues they seem more intent on hushing people up than resolving or preventing violations. Opportunities for growth or mentorship (in research) vary by PI, so there can be small groups with radically different internal norms from each other, which are sometimes at odds with stated BWH values or policy.

Advice to Management

More competitive wages given the high cost of living. Streamline and clarify the responsibilities of management and HR. Be more hands-on with managing labs so that situations don't run amok for years.

7. "Minor issues"

Former Employee - Practice Assistant II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Practice Assistant II in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had to travel to get in and out of Boston, it was nice of them to offer employees a discount on their T passes. All benefits were actually pretty good!

Cons

Management was more worried about making money and saving money for the department than listening to the employees that worked for them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who work for you

"Postdoc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here will provide you the opportunity to work with the top end medical doctors and academic researchers in any field of health related biological medicine. Truly a place to collaborate and compete with the best and brightest.

Cons

Highly competitive allowing for the administration to undercut wages.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to compensate employees better so they can afford to live in the Boston metro area above near poverty.

"No Care, No Coordination Part II"

Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Resource Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brigham and Women's is a great hospital. Amazing things are happening here and seeing it first hand is a really cool experience. Great resume builder.

Cons

The Care Coordination department is probably one of the worst to work for at the Brigham. The head honchos know very little about what goes on, on a daily basis. They know nothing about what the Resource Specialist role or what we can and cannot do. We are told by management that we are an asset to the "team" but are, 100% of the time, ignored when we have questions or suggestions to improve quality of work. When something goes wrong, no matter the fault, the finger is always pointed back at the Resource Specialist. Many CCRNs are great at their and hard working individuals. Others are very rude, immature and manipulative. Medical team staff has complained to management about certain CCRNs and even and requested they be removed from their service team. Management has ignored these multiple requests due to the CCRNs being "stressed". Giving the CCRNs an excuse for this behavior makes it even worse. Often times, these are the CCRNs who are a part of every committee representing Care Coordination, which is an embarrassment. Resource Specialists never receive replies about topics, ie: vacation requests, meeting requests, simple questions. The lack of organization, knowledge, and respect make this a difficult department to work for. Many things need to change in order to make it worth staying for 2-3 years. We are very underpaid for the work we do. As college graduates, mostly in debt, there needs to be a higher minimum salary. Management expects Resource Specialists to stay for life when we are treated terribly and not paid enough in, essentially, a dead end job.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees equally. Increase pay. Train managers to know all aspects of department. Show respect to everyone.

10. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brigham and Women's Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Felt respected as an employee, suggestions were followed up upon. Lots of protective SOPs so I knew exactly what I could do and could not do. My managers both encouraged and assisted attempts to further my career in different directions

Cons

Lots of SOPs that were necessary to perform my job correctly. This translated to days of reading before any real training could even begin.

11. "Ineffective Management in Care Coordination Dept."

Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Brigham and Women's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, Union, good educational opportunities. Fair amount of atomomy in the job role.

Cons

As a Care Coordination RN I was told by a coworker that I would probably learn 3 things pretty quickly to survive: 1. The dept. has extremely poor management so don'the expect much guidance. 2. Learn to fly below the radar .3. If you want a day off you have to call in sick because staffing is so short on a regular basis. These all proved to be true. By the time I left it was even worse as the Brigham has decided that when someone quits they will not be replaced.
    There's no set amount of patients per Care Coordinator and when someone is off you are often asked to cover their service along with your own. The managers do not have your back and the only time you hear from them is if there is a complaint or problem. Don't expect to be treated like a professional and do expect to fend for yourself on a daily basis. After a while the job becomes demoralizing.

Advice to Management

You have extremely educated,experienced and hard working staff . Stop treating them like indentured servants ,listen to their ideas and concerns,and be clear on what's expected. The rules often fall into the gray zone in this dept. leaving a lot of questions and inconsistencies.