Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Stephen Kramer

1,118 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "They treat employees very well and have a "work/life balance" policy that gives workers time off and support when needed" (in 33 reviews)

• "Felt unappreciated for the amount of work and dedication I had shown for this company" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Miricle Job!"

Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Infant Teacher in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a beautiful love for the "kiddos" at Bright Horizons and these kids are the priority..They are for profit..and they earn it. The work conditions are top notch and it is a cool fun place to work....I was also so impressed by how kind the supervisors are! I worked at BH for my retirement job for over two years and I was very happy there!..I miss it and plan to return soon! The most inspiring part for me was how happy these children are at school! They learn advanced subjects and thrive in a wonderfully diverse environment..I worked with the babies and toddlers and they are so inspiring to be with... Starting as infants, they sit at tables together when they eat and they enjoy a fully structured day with reading, science, math..you name it.... .The pre-school children are surprisingly advanced for their age..The teachers working with them have a gift..many of the staff have been there for years and it shows! I love the school!! You will too!!!

Cons

That is tough to say..it really is..They treat employees very well and have a "work/life balance" policy that gives workers time off and support when needed..I guess the only con for me is we need more men doing this work!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing..You work very hard and you truly care about this worthy occupation..bravo!

2. "Friendly Work Environment"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time

Pros

They truly care about their employees and how the whole team can work together to benefit the children

Cons

Asking for materials for your classroom can be difficult occasionally

3. "BHFS"

Current Employee - Employee Services Administrator
    Current Employee - Employee Services Administrator

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a company, BHFS know where their heart is. You can truly see that C-suite is involved in making the organizational culture their biggest asset and make people feel happy that they work for them.

Cons

Middle management is mainly results-oriented and also focused on short-term goals rather than the big picture.

"Overall a great company"

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love that the company offers insurance to its employees , along with other great benefits.

Cons

The only downside I have about working for this company , is that the parents can bring their child at anytime
    During the day, which I think can be very disruptive to the other children, especially during nap time .

Advice to Management

Communicate with staff.

5. "Work culture"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Very positive and conducive atmosphere for career growth

Cons

None that I experienced during my tenure.

"Great Company, Good Values"

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

I worked at the corporate offices and it's a great atmosphere to work in. They're big on work-life balance which is a huge plus. Very flexible as far as what hours you can work and where you can work. A lot people work from home and definitely encouraged to stay home when there's bad weather. The campus is nice with a lot of places to go eat. A lot of diversity and for the most part people are friendly. Room for growth and promotion!

Cons

The biggest con is the salary. I understand the flexibility that's offered but at the end of the day, people have bills. During my time there I heard at least 10 people complain about the pay and how they'r looking for a new job.

Although there's a lot of room for growth, people see this and the brown nosing gets out of control! People just want to make themselves look good even if it means throwing people under the bus. It can turn into a gossip environment, who wants that???

7. "Not what I thought"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apex, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Apex, NC

Pros

The benefits, the children, and the emergent curriculum.

Cons

Not a professional environment, bad management, teachers are hired without any sort of trainings, no room for growth neither. Ive been in "succession planning" for three years and have yet to move up! No overtime, yet you're required to take long breaks so that they dont pay you for overtime.

Advice to Management

Learn to be a leader, not a manager. Lead your staff, not manage them.

8. "infant lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

teaching staff was a pleasure to work with. Strong teachers are so inspirational to work with and the dynamic and strong bonds built between teachers and families is honestly life changing.

Cons

high turn over rate in center, low pay, little room for advancement even though "promised", high expectations with little to no compensation. I understand in early education there isn't a lot of money, but what needs to be heard and understood is that we are the forefront of the company and the values in which it stands for. We build the education programs, foster the growth for future families and help aid children in the most crucial points in there development. Bright horizons as a whole needs to reevaluate who they hire and where they support the strong and under appreciated teachers. Through my time i have seen such AMAZING quality of staff leave because of the things listed above. So much potential in this company but too much money is being spent on executive staff who do nothing to support the struggling teachers.

Advice to Management

Revise companies strategy towards hiring methods as well as look at new ways to further foster strong leadership within teaching staff. Many teachers leave because of mistreatment and under appreciation within the company.

9. "Great Company!"

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented company ,Amazing benifits

Cons

Not able to offer a living wage to employees s without a degree.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Jul 13, 2018 – Human Resources Business Partner, Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Bright Horizons. We definitely think that this is a great place to work and are so glad to hear you felt the same when... More

10. "Preschool Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Decent Benefits, Corporate Discounts, Flexible Vacation/Sick Time

Cons

Teachers are very overworked. There is a lot of paperwork/documentation/write ups that are required and it really takes away from the quality of care and attention given to the kids. Class sizes are too large, staff turnover is horrible. Centers are always short staffed, making teachers have to work even more to fill in gaps. Depending on the administration at the given center, there might not be that much support given to classrooms with particularly challenging kids. Your hourly pay is based on a clock in/out system that they count down to the minute. So much focus on staff getting their timecards done with precision while admin has an extreme amount of leeway. Overall, the workload and insufficient admin support is just not worth the measly pay. Burn out city.

Advice to Management

Reduce class size and take away some of the ongoing documentation projects that are overworking teachers. Increase pay to a living wage for goodness sake.

Showing 1,118 of 1,126 reviews