Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,889

959 Comments

Teachers

158.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Bright Horizons Family Solutions~6525
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great and the company as a whole seems to really put families and kids needs first.(in 187 reviews)
  • "Great for people entering Childcare/Education with little to no experience(in 77 reviews)
  • "Great families and coworkers.(in 73 reviews)
  • "Great staff very knowledgeable for work done(in 61 reviews)
  • "Good training both computer and on job(in 56 reviews)
Cons
  • "The pay is low for having to deal with bodily fluids and the other responsibilities .(in 293 reviews)
  • "Poor management and dishonesty among higher(in 134 reviews)
  • "Long hours and stressful if lead teacher is off .(in 64 reviews)
  • "The salary is low and some centers but reasonable at other.(in 53 reviews)
  • "being, and blatant favoritism.(in 38 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bright Horizons Family Solutions and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great company!!

Dec 11, 2021 - Teacher Assistance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid time off and holiday pay. Continuing training and education offered.

Cons

No cons at all great company!

HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Bright Horizons; we definitely think that this is a great place to work and are so glad to hear you feel the same! Thank you for your contributions towards making Bright Horizons such a special place for our children and families.

2. 5.0

Great!

Apr 25, 2022 - Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work! Yay!

Cons

Ehh, ask someone who cares

HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on why you enjoy working at Bright Horizons; we definitely think that this is a great place to work and are so glad to hear you feel the same! It is wonderful to hear that you are having a positive experience working at Bright Horizons; whether it be direct or indirect, thank you for all you do to support children and families.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

EdAssist - "flexibility" at the expense of fair pay and job advancement

May 5, 2022 - Employee Services Coordinator II
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, fairly flexible hours, co-workers were great to work with

Cons

I was employed with the EdAssist group at Bright Horizons for over 2 years. The remote and fairly flexible hours were a big plus (mine was a part time position. The expectations for full time employees in EdAssist is a whole other story). But that's all that can be said positive about the position. It was very disappointing that despite the 3 levels of manager above me all being women, they did not advocate for any type of fair wage increase or job growth. The hourly rate was $15/hr which had been the same starting rate for several years (until it recently increased by .50 to $15.50, apparently trying to keep barely ahead of the MA minimum wage.) They talk the talk of job advancement but opportunities are very few and far between. The EdAssist jobs are designed to take advantage of work from home parents who value flexibility above fair pay and job opportunity. If that's what's most important for you, than this job is a good fit. Otherwise don't waste your time (also worth noting the Bright Horizons HEART principles don't seem to apply to EdAssist.)

HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback as a former Bright Horizons employee. We strive to create a positive work environment for all our employees, just as we strive to create enriching learning environments for the children in our care. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with your colleagues; we definitely believe in the amazing-ness of our employees, so that is especially wonderful to hear. We do continuously review and analyze the compensation (including benefits and perks) that we offer to ensure that we remain competitive. Please reach out to us at wearelistening@brighthorizons.com with some more details on your concerns regarding compensation. Even though you are no longer employed with Bright Horizons, we would like to hear you so that we can continue to make Bright Horizons such a special place for all our employees.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

The best childcare company that I have worked for.

May 18, 2022 - Assistant Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bright Horizons has a great benefits package for teachers. Employees get discounts on childcare, sick and vacation time, paid holidays, and a free education through the Bright Horizons teacher degree program.

Cons

Unfortunately, childcare is not a lucrative career, teachers work really hard, and they deserve a better salary. We were always short staffed which led to everyone having to work long schedules and expectations were too high given the time and resources teachers have available.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company exploits people of color, women, and young people

Apr 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

this company is barely decent if you’re desperate for a job to start out with and gain experience

Cons

They take advantage of women and young people because they offer flexibility in schedule, which employees think makes the low pay justifiable. This is abuse of power, and it is violating informed consent bc they are offering something that cannot be refused for people who can’t find better. Women seek out flexible jobs like this because they are often in charge of child care. This company also had an all hands meeting one day where they presented how supportive they are towards diverse groups, including the LGBT community, and then bought Chic fil A for everyone for lunch. Tone deaf. They also boast being a child care company but don’t offer maternity leave - only disability leave. And if you apply after you get pregnant, you’re disqualified from the time off. This company also boasts having a high number of women employees but the highest paid employees are men. This company is incredibly hypocritical. Don’t work here. It’s run by cishet white men. Also, Stephen Kramer could give everyone in the company a raise if he just gave up some of the millions in profit he makes per year. Thanks for coming to my red talk.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Administrator

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Bright Horizons is deeply committed towards ensuring a supportive work environment for all employees, where everyone has opportunities for professional growth and development. We are sorry to hear that you have left the company without this impression. We do take concerns regarding favoritism based on one’s race, religion, ethnic background, gender, or any other protected characteristics very seriously. One of our core HEART principles, Respect, discusses how as a company we celebrate diversity of all kinds and how any acts of non-inclusiveness is, quite frankly, unacceptable. Please contact us at wearelistening@brighthorizons.com with details of your experience so that we can directly address any issues.

6. 2.0

So much potential!

May 2, 2022 - Anonymous At Broomfield, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and values are ideal if actions aligned.

Cons

Diversity is limited to entry-level roles. Many times diverse employees are not given the same attention when it comes to development or promotion opportunities as their peers. Affinity bias is rampant and no one is brave enough to call it out. There are too many silos and a lack of collaboration. All companies have challenges but this one exacerbates the situation due to petty internal division. Pay is absolutely below market and there is a large pay gap between entry-mid level and those who are elevated but unfortunately the level of responsibility does not coincide.

HR Administrator

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Bright Horizons is deeply committed towards ensuring a supportive work environment for all employees, where everyone has opportunities for professional growth and development. We do take concerns regarding favoritism based on one’s race, religion, ethnic background, gender, or any other protected characteristics very seriously. One of our core HEART principles, Respect, discusses how as a company we celebrate diversity of all kinds and how any acts of non-inclusiveness is, quite frankly, unacceptable. Please contact us at wearelistening@brighthorizons.com with details of your experience so that we can directly address any issues.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Professional & Thorough

May 1, 2022 - Teacher in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

•Great benefits •Professionally run •Many locations •Learning and advancing career •Raises

Cons

All things considered, if you are in the childcare and early childhood education field - this is a really great place to work. Being in this career is demanding and difficult which is to be expected, but this company pays (probably) the best of any other company. That being said - all teachers need to be making… a lot more than they do. Expect to make more than minimum, but know it still doesn’t really touch serious and fair compensation of a living wage. It’s a lot of work for being paid pretty close to minimum wage, which is disheartening! Let’s all hope for some ECE unions and better pay soon.

HR Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as a Bright Horizons employee! Absolutely you are in a special place, with daily opportunities to enjoy a collaborative and caring work environment based on our HEART principles. And when those challenging moments occur (you never quite know when they will strike in the ECE world!), it is so important to have the support and understanding of those you work with. Thank you for your contributions towards making Bright Horizons such a wonderful place for our children and families.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Healthy Workplace Committed to High-Quality Care

Mar 26, 2022 - Infant Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

My center is bright, modern, and beautiful! We also adhere to strict ratios and Naeyc standards, and because of this (and our awesome teachers of course!) I feel that both staff and children are well-cared for and safe. I absolutely adore working with the infants and feel that I am making a significant impact in their lives and their families' lives every day. I also really enjoy partnering with parents over time as their children grow. Additionally, my co-teachers and I have an excellent rapport and we have a ton of fun caring for the babies together.

Cons

Some days can be very stressful; my co-teacher and I do care for 8 infants after all! In general, it is difficult when many teachers call out and are absent (this can be a major strain on the rest of the staff). And of course, higher pay would be nice too.

HR Administrator

Thank you for sharing your review; we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying being a Bright Horizons employee! We strive to provide a positive and family-like work environment and it sounds as though you are definitely having that experience. Thank you for your contributions in making Bright Horizons a great place to work.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

5 Solid Years

Apr 1, 2022 - Lead Toddler Teacher in Issaquah, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bright Horizons has a great company-wide structure in regards to how they (should) treat their employees and handle conflicts. Their approach to child development, teaching, and providing high quality child care is something I will always greatly respect. I've loved every single coworker I had (5 years with the company, 2 different states, 3 different centers).

Cons

Since COVID hit, Bright Horizons seems to have lost their values. During the pandemic, B.H. has shown their true colors, and since then I have witnessed the company leave. Talking about salaries with coworkers showed me a SEVERE inequality between pay, and management continuously lied to me. I had been considering leaving the company pretty much since covid hit. By the end, almost all of my positive memories were ruined. I would never work here again, but i respect the company. B.H. did a lot for me; they gave me many years of experience and memories.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Wonderful Company

Apr 18, 2022 - PreK Assistant Teacher in Hagerstown, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Values, Respects Employees, great benefits and pay, opportunities for growth, paid college tuition, employee referral bonuses, embraces diversity, I know there are many BH centers everywhere so each experience may be different. However, I worked for 13 years with this amazing company. I wish I could continue working for BH but there is not a center close enough to where I live! Bright Horizons is a center that respects you as an educator. This is not a job for someone who does not want to be a teacher. This isn't a babysitting job....not with any age group.

Cons

There is a lot of paperwork that you must complete. While it could be a lot for some, it is to keep the children safe and hold staff accountable. I didn't mind it.

HR Administrator

Thank you for sharing your review; we are glad to hear that you had such a great experience as a teacher for Bright Horizons! We strive to provide a positive and family-like work environment and it sounds as though you definitely were able to feel our HEART principles at work. Thank you for your contributions in making Bright Horizons such a special place for children and families (and such a great place to work!).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,491 Reviews

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews FAQs

Bright Horizons Family Solutions has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 2,549 reviews left anonymously by employees. 58% of employees would recommend working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Bright Horizons Family Solutions employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Bright Horizons Family Solutions. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

58% of Bright Horizons Family Solutions employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bright Horizons Family Solutions 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Bright Horizons Family Solutions Job Seekers