Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance at some levels could become non-existent (in 23 reviews)

• Communication with upper management could be improved (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company puts people first"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Bright Horizons for almost a year, and I am so thankful to be apart of a community that values people first. The children, families, and teachers go above profit. They work with teachers to build goals and professional development, and strive to create partnerships with the families. I know the management puts the employees best interest in the forefront of what they do.

Cons

The only cons are that we need more teachers. When we don't have fully staffed sites, sometimes plan time gets taken away and that can lead to teacher burn out.

Advice to Management

Do not create more Bright Horizons in the area, when the current locations are not fully staffed. Creating more locations only takes our teachers away. Without a leadership team available (if they have to be in a classroom) the rest of the center suffers and that leads to turn-over. Also, you should parter more with the surrounding colleges.

2. "Bright Horizons @ Tamien is under enrolled and under staffed."

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in San Jose, CA

Pros

The best part about working here is watching the children learn new skills and grow up through the program. Experiencing those moments where a child finally understands what you've been teaching them are definitely priceless.

Cons

The worst part of working here is the lack of supplies and support. Teacher is already stressful on it's own and not having he support you need only makes it harder.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Jun 19, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback as a current Bright Horizons employee. Working directly in our center classrooms brings you closest to our company mission of bringing ... More

3. "Great company, disappointing Management in my center"

Current Employee - Teacher in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Teacher in Aurora, CO

Pros

Great training and great company with great values. I have enjoyed working with most staff and the families as well. Center is very nice and spacious and are able to get any kind of supplies when asked. Passionate about quality childcare. Decent benefits.

Cons

Management lack of communication. Lower pay than other centers. Low Employee retention.

Advice to Management

I work at a private center but have been unimpressed by management. I would suggest better communication between them and the teachers/staff. They also seem very disorganized with scheduling. It is a great center but this is my biggest issue.

4. "Love it"

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Bright Horizons provides excellent training, great benefits, and pretty awesome leaders. They have a relaxed dress code that maintains professionalism and comfort.

Cons

There are very few cons, in my opinion. The family cost of insurance is kinda high. They seem to provide centers with a small budget which can lead to some issues.

Advice to Management

Fight for the profession to help increase funding to raise the employee pay rate.

5. "assistant teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible
    pay for college credits
    experience in early childhood

Cons

unprofessional environment
    no room for growth

6. "Good interview and good job"

Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Teacher in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and hours are good so far lots of training overall and good amount of. Classroom time as well and Lots of. Policy's

Cons

Was offered full time only working part time so I feel a little annoyed by that and ability to transfer isn't high after 6 months

Advice to Management

Have better scheduling

"Awesome Work Enviroment"

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth within company. Flexible schedule. Vacation and sick time. Great co workers.

Cons

Parents can be hard to please. Gossip among staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers about creating a positive classroom dynamic with how they place children together.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We love your headline and are really glad that you consider Bright Horizons to have an awesome work environment - we strive to make sure every ... More

8. "Helpful In Regards to Being Able to Move Around"

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright Horizons locations are all over the world, so if you like to move around a lot this job is very beneficial! I enjoyed the training sessions there and you meet some great families.

Cons

Low pay, micromanaging, bitter coworkers (perhaps due to the low pay)

Advice to Management

A happy staff will produce top notch work so listen to staff members who seem dissatisfied with their director.

"Great work/life balance; experiencing growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The office culture is very friendly. You are encouraged to bring your whole self to work and people are very supportive. Some of the work is a lot of fun.

Cons

The company has experienced a lot of growth and they are struggling with maintaining the culture while also adjusting to the differing demands of a larger company. Feels like we are constantly adjusting course and never really land anywhere. Salaries are on the low side.

10. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No shortage of hours
    Teachers are kind
    They want you to succeed
    Pay seems good for the industry

Cons

Class sizes can get big
    Lots of demand for subs but this could be good for some

Advice to Management

No class should require three teachers. It may be in legally in ratio, but it's not the best environment for an all-day school.