Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance at some levels could become non-existent (in 23 reviews)

• Communication with upper management could be improved (in 24 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern (UK)"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions as an intern

Pros

Everyone in the office is wonderful to work with and extremely friendly. Everyone goes to the pub on thursdays for at least one drink after work, some stay the whole night!

Cons

It has some of the negatives and lack of flexibility that comes with being a part of a large corporation but still in the smaller office.

"Room Leader"

Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and progression. Good views on health and safety. You build great partnerships with parents. A really enjoyable job for those passionate about childcare and education.

Cons

All female environment can sometimes turn sour. Pay not great. 40hr week and you will rarely leave on time. Resources not replaced frequently enough.

New children allowed to start all of the time despite lack of staff which creates a stressful environment.

Advice to Management

When understaffed limit the number of new children starting so that agency doesn't make up more than 1/3 of the staff.

3. "Nurse Assistant"

Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good induction, good training courses available on line and full support from Seniors and Management.

Cons

A lot of unnecessary work, we need to create evidence for Ofsted visitors and much of it is not truelly connected with the daily routine.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye about what is really important for children. If this is good, we will have a good assessment from Ofsted.

5. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Bright Horizons themselves are a good company to work for with robust policies and procedures in place to protect both themselves and their employees. They have great training systems and induction process and provide staff benefits such as discount card for the high street. Good career progression opportunities and career change opportunities if you no longer want to work in a nursery, it is relatively easy to transfer to a HR or recruitment job. You get a good pay incentive to recommend friends who are looking for a role within the company. If you have a supportive manager then BH can be a great place to work.

Cons

Fairly low pay, however it is industry standard for nursery staff to receive low wages. Standard A/L of 20 days per year. Ultimately if you get a bad manager then it is a horrible place to work as staff are stressed, over worked, over ratio and under paid.

Advice to Management

Managers should understand that high quality settings are run by high quality staff. Ratios should be met at all times, even if managers need to go in rooms to ensure this. Try not to get staff to do too much overtime, I see a lot if staff having no choice but to work overtime, leaving them tired and demoralised.

6. "It was a life changing, eye opening experience"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely families and some staff

Cons

Not enough staff or support

7. "Working Review"

Current Employee - Chef Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Staff, Children, Teamwork. working hours

Cons

-Domestic Equipment to cook with in the Kitchens, which is quite a struggle and often can be quite dangerous with hygiene regulations.

- Limited items of food available from suppliers due to company locking down food lists, so you have to be quite a magician!.

- Food budget paltry

- Management not allowed bring in agency cooks when i am on holiday, so nursery staff have to cook,.

- Nursery is in a London Borough, but no London weighting is paid to staff, which makes standard of living quite difficult. I queried this with management, and was told we are not in a london borough!.... EXCUSE ME!......

Advice to Management

Pay London Weighting, and believe me, you will attract and retain dedicated staff. Just look at the internal vacancy list of 500+ and ask yourself why the retention rate is poor. Stop concentrating on figures and financial targets, and start caring about your employees, you are losing fantastic staff.

8. "Overall good in terms of training leadaship skills knowledge you learn is high quality"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Families and children nice clean nursery environment. Training is on point and couldn't get no better in terms of what they teach and train you.

Cons

Not very good at practising what they preach no support from upper management when complaints about management have been put forward. Seems they just follow procedure to tick a box. First hand experience of this has left many members of staff deflated and lack of trust in bright horizons. Many staff have left because of the manager but nothing has been done about it even when staff have gone to upper management within bright horizons. No support for staff when this occurs you are fed jargon big lack of trust that they actually listen to their staff.

Advice to Management

Follow through and act on complaints loss of great staff in a nursery is upsetting for us as workers and families that we care for.

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rules in place and constant checks to make sure everyone is doing their jobs correctly.
    Training available.

Cons

Upper management is the downfall of this company, don't care much about the staff despite.
    Main manger was poorly trained until the downfall of the nursery.

Head office are far too distanced from the line of work they are managing.

Too much paperwork expected to be completed with no time to actually do it.

Advice to Management

Actually spend time within the nurseries to understand the workload you put on the staff.

10. "Don't know how to describe..."

Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)

Pros

Children are lovely, can find friends

Cons

Lots of unpaid work, unfair treatment, no help from management and head office

Advice to Management

Focus on the team and don't make them feel rubbish.

"The worst nursery I ever worked in"

Current Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

The families and the children.

Cons

i have worked in bright horizons for 10 months the staff are very under trained. I recall a time a staff member telling a child that she shouldn't eat to much because she will not be beautiful. On my frist day I walked in to the staff room to hear nearly all the staff talking about how much they hate this place. It was almost that I wasn't allowed to like the place from the start. Everyday I walk in to such a negative enriomemnt of complaints and people planning to leave its so heartbreaking because now I hate my job and planning to give in my notice this week. Because of this job I no longer desrise a job in childcare and looking for other options. Bright horizon is company that cares more about the money then there staff its a very unorganised company and it's very sad but wouldn't wish anyone to work there.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping with other staff about other staff and start being a manager

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Human Resources

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way, and appreciate you sharing your concerns. Are you willing to share more information with us so we can better understand your experience, and share ... More