Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance at some levels could become non-existent (in 24 reviews)

• Communication with upper management could be improved (in 25 reviews)

"The worst nursery I ever worked in"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

The families and the children.

Cons

i have worked in bright horizons for 10 months the staff are very under trained. I recall a time a staff member telling a child that she shouldn't eat to much because she will not be beautiful. On my frist day I walked in to the staff room to hear nearly all the staff talking about how much they hate this place. It was almost that I wasn't allowed to like the place from the start. Everyday I walk in to such a negative enriomemnt of complaints and people planning to leave its so heartbreaking because now I hate my job and planning to give in my notice this week. Because of this job I no longer desrise a job in childcare and looking for other options. Bright horizon is company that cares more about the money then there staff its a very unorganised company and it's very sad but wouldn't wish anyone to work there.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping with other staff about other staff and start being a manager

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Human Resources

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way, and appreciate you sharing your concerns. Are you willing to share more information with us so we can better understand your experience, and share ... More

"A huge disappointment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The children and parents

Cons

I have worked here for a long time now. In the beginning our nursery was owned by a smaller chain and I was proud to say I worked there. Then Bright Horizons bought the nursery. Once they took over they told us that they would not make any changes in our nursery as as everything was great how it was. This was a lie! Our nursery was now made to order toys from a catalogue which cost 3 times the normal amount you would pay from another another company and not only that but we also had a very small budget which means we have had the same toys for years and not only that but when the toys get broken they don't replaced! Now onto another matter.. We are allowed a £1 budget for food for each child per day. Which is disgusting when you consider how much every parent days. The quality of food is ridiculous for example the mince is riddled in chewy fat. The children's portions are tiny and hardly even fill a small plate. We are told that this is to avoid child obesity. Also the quality of the food is so bad that the children children do even want to eat he food. There was one time when the children had rice pudding but whilst the rice pudding was being cooked it completely dried up in the bottom of the tray and this was being of tiny portion size the children were given. The children were still given this as their pudding and all of them refused to eat it. We are also told that we are not allowed to offer anything such as bread if the child had not eaten their meal to keep them going until they have another meal which is truly upsetting seeing as the amount each parent pays. As a staff member we are really treated as though we are at the bottom of the food chain. This year we were told that they had to budget our staff awards of excellence which came as a kick in the teeth. The venue was very disappointing and drinks were very expensive whilst this year they held a mangers awards function where they hired out the whole of a very well known hotel and the rooms alone would of cost around about £15,000 for all of the management to stay over night in This hotel and that isn't including all the food and function rooms. Yet this company is unable to provide good quality food and toys for the children. This is heart breaking and leaves me nearly in tears every time I start and leave my shift. I am currently looking for a new job as I recently qualified with the company and they have told me now that I am qualified I am not entitled to a higher wage and £13,000 a year is a wage that I can't live on when other nurseries offer £17,000 a year. I would not ever recommend working for this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

The manager is great when she leaves her personal life at the front door and the deputy changes the policies and procedures to suit herself

"Bank Staff"

Current Employee - Bank Staff in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bank Staff in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

The working times are too long most of the time. Most of the time they work the whole day instead of part of the day.

Cons

The bank staffs investigations about their complaints are not dealt with well.

Advice to Management

To improve the handling of investigations about members of staffs complaints.

"Bright Horizons"

Former Employee - Emergency Bank Staff in Fulham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Emergency Bank Staff in Fulham, England (UK)

Pros

Working at Bright Horizons was a real eye opener. Because of the reputation of this company I truly thought it would be the best of the best. Some staff members at the place I worked were wonderful and kind throughout and the children overall were wonderful to be with which is the main reason why I stayed for long.

Cons

The management and organisation is completely poor. Other staff members are extremely rude and because of their status in the work place they think they are allowed to treat staff members like trash which is shocking. For me, I only worked there for a month and could not continue simply because of what I saw. Also, I was supposed to be paid at the end of the month and till this day, I still have not been paid which is disappointing. Because I was a bank staff member, I don't think they took me seriously even though I did my job right. I will not be working for this company again.

Advice to Management

Everything.

5. "Need Support"

Current Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits,

Team members are very collaborative

Cons

Been there for a month and still have no idea what I'm doing, there was no support at the start of my employment, there was book given to me that explains what i should know, but doesn't not tell me what to do in case of an emergency for example.

I have not been advised on emergency situations such as allergies and fire alarms etc.

A review was given to me by the nursery manager, where everything said was a negative thing, there was no praise on how I was doing.

When I prompted about nappy changing and when I could learn it, the question was glazed over and I was not given an answer, considering I work in the babies room I would think this is a priority.

Advice to Management

Look after new members of staff, give encouragement and sort proper training out

6. "Steer clear if you value your career"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Benefits, promotion prospects, relocation prospects

Cons

management is corrupt and look for the easiest person to scapegoat. Unrealistic goals. Money orientated. No support or staff to carry out work. Little regard for working parents. Want the best however pay the minimum

Advice to Management

Accountability for managers (all levels) need to be in place. Appears that managers and regional managers can make any decision they like and discard people because they don't fit their way of thinking.
    Children and quality care is not evident as the main focus for this company. It's all about profit.

"Bank Staff"

Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is more than I expected and I've met some really wonderful children during my short time working for this company. I come out of work every week happy with what I have achieved with the children and it is always lovely going to a new nursery to meet new children.

Cons

Most of the nurseries I've worked at have awful staff. Room leaders and managers are rude and undermining to bank staff. There has been many occasions where I've witnessed awful behaviour from staff to children that I don't approve of and it is quite uncomfortable. The hours are too long for the very unimportant job that I do. And even though it specifies no previous experience needed, many members of staff expect you to be fully trained and know exactly what you're doing within your first weeks of working there. It has quite possibly been an overall awful job and I would not want to work for Bright Horizons again.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better than you already are\

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience working at Bright Horizons. We believe strongly in our mission and the responsibility of caring for children and families and ... More

"Started off good but gone very downhill"

Current Employee - Third In Charge in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Third In Charge in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training but that's about it, and of course the children are the best part of this job sector, always something different everyday!

Cons

The management is corrupt and don't take accountability for their actions. Will always pass the buck. It seems this company is very money orientated and doesn't care about staff at all. It's all about profit. They want the best however pay minimum!!

9. "Don't know how to describe..."

Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)

Pros

Children are lovely, can find friends

Cons

Lots of unpaid work, unfair treatment, no help from management and head office

Advice to Management

Focus on the team and don't make them feel rubbish.

10. "It was a life changing, eye opening experience"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely families and some staff

Cons

Not enough staff or support