Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance at some levels could become non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• Horrible upper management from Regional Manager up (in 24 reviews)

1. "Don't know how to describe..."

Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)

Pros

Children are lovely, can find friends

Cons

Lots of unpaid work, unfair treatment, no help from management and head office

Advice to Management

Focus on the team and don't make them feel rubbish.

2. "Nurse Assistant"

Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good induction, good training courses available on line and full support from Seniors and Management.

Cons

A lot of unnecessary work, we need to create evidence for Ofsted visitors and much of it is not truelly connected with the daily routine.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye about what is really important for children. If this is good, we will have a good assessment from Ofsted.

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rules in place and constant checks to make sure everyone is doing their jobs correctly.
    Training available.

Cons

Upper management is the downfall of this company, don't care much about the staff despite.
    Main manger was poorly trained until the downfall of the nursery.

Head office are far too distanced from the line of work they are managing.

Too much paperwork expected to be completed with no time to actually do it.

Advice to Management

Actually spend time within the nurseries to understand the workload you put on the staff.

"Bank Staff"

Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is more than I expected and I've met some really wonderful children during my short time working for this company. I come out of work every week happy with what I have achieved with the children and it is always lovely going to a new nursery to meet new children.

Cons

Most of the nurseries I've worked at have awful staff. Room leaders and managers are rude and undermining to bank staff. There has been many occasions where I've witnessed awful behaviour from staff to children that I don't approve of and it is quite uncomfortable. The hours are too long for the very unimportant job that I do. And even though it specifies no previous experience needed, many members of staff expect you to be fully trained and know exactly what you're doing within your first weeks of working there. It has quite possibly been an overall awful job and I would not want to work for Bright Horizons again.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better than you already are\

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience working at Bright Horizons. We believe strongly in our mission and the responsibility of caring for children and families and ... More

6. "Nursery Assistant"

Current Employee - Nursery Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nursery Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

I have been working for this company since August I absolutly love it. I have already been offered a better position as a Nursery Nurse in the Baby room. The management and staff at my nursery are really lovely and very supportive.

Cons

The only issue I have is the working hours, they're quite long but I guess thats apart of working in a nursery.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You're fab!!!

"Room Leader"

Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and progression. Good views on health and safety. You build great partnerships with parents. A really enjoyable job for those passionate about childcare and education.

Cons

All female environment can sometimes turn sour. Pay not great. 40hr week and you will rarely leave on time. Resources not replaced frequently enough.

New children allowed to start all of the time despite lack of staff which creates a stressful environment.

Advice to Management

When understaffed limit the number of new children starting so that agency doesn't make up more than 1/3 of the staff.

8. "Lots of energy and passion for doing the right thing"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone really cares about doing the best job possible.

Cons

A large company which can take a while to change.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the nurseries seeing what it's really like

9. "Steer clear if you value your career"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Benefits, promotion prospects, relocation prospects

Cons

management is corrupt and look for the easiest person to scapegoat. Unrealistic goals. Money orientated. No support or staff to carry out work. Little regard for working parents. Want the best however pay the minimum

Advice to Management

Accountability for managers (all levels) need to be in place. Appears that managers and regional managers can make any decision they like and discard people because they don't fit their way of thinking.
    Children and quality care is not evident as the main focus for this company. It's all about profit.

10. "Need Support"

Current Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nursery Nurse in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good benefits,

Team members are very collaborative

Cons

Been there for a month and still have no idea what I'm doing, there was no support at the start of my employment, there was book given to me that explains what i should know, but doesn't not tell me what to do in case of an emergency for example.

I have not been advised on emergency situations such as allergies and fire alarms etc.

A review was given to me by the nursery manager, where everything said was a negative thing, there was no praise on how I was doing.

When I prompted about nappy changing and when I could learn it, the question was glazed over and I was not given an answer, considering I work in the babies room I would think this is a priority.

Advice to Management

Look after new members of staff, give encouragement and sort proper training out

"Bright Horizons"

Former Employee - Emergency Bank Staff in Fulham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Emergency Bank Staff in Fulham, England (UK)

Pros

Working at Bright Horizons was a real eye opener. Because of the reputation of this company I truly thought it would be the best of the best. Some staff members at the place I worked were wonderful and kind throughout and the children overall were wonderful to be with which is the main reason why I stayed for long.

Cons

The management and organisation is completely poor. Other staff members are extremely rude and because of their status in the work place they think they are allowed to treat staff members like trash which is shocking. For me, I only worked there for a month and could not continue simply because of what I saw. Also, I was supposed to be paid at the end of the month and till this day, I still have not been paid which is disappointing. Because I was a bank staff member, I don't think they took me seriously even though I did my job right. I will not be working for this company again.

Advice to Management

Everything.