Bright Horizons Family Solutions Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO and Director David H. Lissy
David H. Lissy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance at some levels could become non-existent (in 25 reviews)

• Communication with upper management could be improved (in 27 reviews)

1. "Nursery Manager"

Current Employee - Nursery Manager in Epsom, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nursery Manager in Epsom, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work,

Cons

Never had any as the company is flexible with all employees

Advice to Management

Professional
    Expertise
    Love
    Family

2. "Wonderful company"

Current Employee - Bank Staff in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bank Staff in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This big employer really does try to keep themselves up to date with childcare and have a great involvement with charities. They really look after there staff and keep them motivated and rewarded. Really lovely environment and it is always nice to meet new people from other nurseries at the yearly awards.

Cons

As with any business some processes can be made more efficient. This is not to say they are inefficient only there is always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and remember that happy staff is a happy workplace.

"Good company to work for overall."

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Rushden, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, shares good values and nice working environment.

Cons

Not proactive enough, more interested in quantity than quality and not enough leadership presence from the very top.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and management presence. Spend time in nurseries and get a feel for what support managers need.

4. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Bright Horizons themselves are a good company to work for with robust policies and procedures in place to protect both themselves and their employees. They have great training systems and induction process and provide staff benefits such as discount card for the high street. Good career progression opportunities and career change opportunities if you no longer want to work in a nursery, it is relatively easy to transfer to a HR or recruitment job. You get a good pay incentive to recommend friends who are looking for a role within the company. If you have a supportive manager then BH can be a great place to work.

Cons

Fairly low pay, however it is industry standard for nursery staff to receive low wages. Standard A/L of 20 days per year. Ultimately if you get a bad manager then it is a horrible place to work as staff are stressed, over worked, over ratio and under paid.

Advice to Management

Managers should understand that high quality settings are run by high quality staff. Ratios should be met at all times, even if managers need to go in rooms to ensure this. Try not to get staff to do too much overtime, I see a lot if staff having no choice but to work overtime, leaving them tired and demoralised.

"Started off good but gone very downhill"

Current Employee - Third In Charge in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Third In Charge in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training but that's about it, and of course the children are the best part of this job sector, always something different everyday!

Cons

The management is corrupt and don't take accountability for their actions. Will always pass the buck. It seems this company is very money orientated and doesn't care about staff at all. It's all about profit. They want the best however pay minimum!!

6. "Don't know how to describe..."

Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Practitioner in London, England (UK)

Pros

Children are lovely, can find friends

Cons

Lots of unpaid work, unfair treatment, no help from management and head office

Advice to Management

Focus on the team and don't make them feel rubbish.

7. "Nurse Assistant"

Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nurse Assistant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good induction, good training courses available on line and full support from Seniors and Management.

Cons

A lot of unnecessary work, we need to create evidence for Ofsted visitors and much of it is not truelly connected with the daily routine.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye about what is really important for children. If this is good, we will have a good assessment from Ofsted.

"Mixed"

Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Nursery Nurse in Crowthorne, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good rules in place and constant checks to make sure everyone is doing their jobs correctly.
    Training available.

Cons

Upper management is the downfall of this company, don't care much about the staff despite.
    Main manger was poorly trained until the downfall of the nursery.

Head office are far too distanced from the line of work they are managing.

Too much paperwork expected to be completed with no time to actually do it.

Advice to Management

Actually spend time within the nurseries to understand the workload you put on the staff.

"Bank Staff"

Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bank Staff in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is more than I expected and I've met some really wonderful children during my short time working for this company. I come out of work every week happy with what I have achieved with the children and it is always lovely going to a new nursery to meet new children.

Cons

Most of the nurseries I've worked at have awful staff. Room leaders and managers are rude and undermining to bank staff. There has been many occasions where I've witnessed awful behaviour from staff to children that I don't approve of and it is quite uncomfortable. The hours are too long for the very unimportant job that I do. And even though it specifies no previous experience needed, many members of staff expect you to be fully trained and know exactly what you're doing within your first weeks of working there. It has quite possibly been an overall awful job and I would not want to work for Bright Horizons again.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better than you already are\

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience working at Bright Horizons. We believe strongly in our mission and the responsibility of caring for children and families and... More

"Room Leader"

Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Room Leader in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training and progression. Good views on health and safety. You build great partnerships with parents. A really enjoyable job for those passionate about childcare and education.

Cons

All female environment can sometimes turn sour. Pay not great. 40hr week and you will rarely leave on time. Resources not replaced frequently enough.

New children allowed to start all of the time despite lack of staff which creates a stressful environment.

Advice to Management

When understaffed limit the number of new children starting so that agency doesn't make up more than 1/3 of the staff.