Bright Horizons Family Solutions "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Sep 20, 2019

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO Stephen Kramer (no image)
Stephen Kramer
Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"Amazing location to work at with great family like staff"

Former Employee - Teacher in Coconut Creek, FL

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and family like staff. Bosses who stood up for you and made sure you were treated fairly and kindly by parents. Accommodating and understanding of personal situations. Raise every year on one year anniversary. Very diverse and accepting of all cultures.

Cons

Some days are long hours when too many teachers are out. Lunch breaks aren’t on a exact schedule it’s based on when someone can come sit in your class and relieve you.

Advice to Management

Keep up on following the HEART principles, you are doing an awesome job!

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-04-30
  2. "Flexible"

Current Employee - In Home Caregiver

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Flexibility to create your own schedule

Cons

Sometimes really long hours and far distances

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-08-14
  3. "Review"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

- emergent curriculum - good teacher to student ratios - supportive admin

Cons

- long hours - low paid

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-05-21

"Good advancement opportunities, Uninspired leadership"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great curriculum resources, beautiful classroom spaces, divide labor amongst your teaching team, educational/career advancement opportunities

Cons

Very demanding work, long hours, long monthly staff meetings, inconsistencies in expectations, uninspired leadership

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-02-28

"It’s ok"

Former Employee - Teacher's Aide in New York, NY

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some co-workers Overtime Parents Children

Cons

Long hours no bathroom or water breaks Head teachers can be very lazy Benefits may be hard to reap if admin doesn’t know what they’re doing Center is always open aside from weekends and 3 holidays out of the year. Unequal pay for same job Preference among admin with certain teachers Too much focus on the app

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-02-08

"Unhappy Staff"

Former Employee - Teacher in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping children learn and watching them grow.

Cons

Staff is really unhappy!!!! Management doesnt seem to understand policies, licensing requirement and curriculum. Never have answers to staff questions. Some management have huge attitudes. Clearly, doesn't like working in classroom. Also, gossips about others! Not professional! Policies seem to change daily to benefit admin's workload. We are told to give list of materials we need, but then are told there... is no money to buy anything. Center is very short staff. People are leaving because of all these problems. Teachers work long hours but, admin doesn't seem to put in the long hours with us. Upper management comes monthly to visit and closes the door ALL the time. Has their nose in the air and clearly doesn't seem to like us either. Comes off as snobby. Other people from centers come and clean/rearrange classrooms w/o input from teachers actually working in the classroom. They also say they don't like coming to help. Admin keeps the door close too and puts phone on do not disturb often. I use to LOVE my job. I wanted to grow with the company. And even with the poor pay rate, I USE to feel appreciate for all the work I did. But, since September 2018 things have just went completely down hill. I left because it was so stressful and I didn't feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Admin...- Help out. Be hands on. Be an example! Stop gossiping. It gets around. You are admin! Learn curriculum, policies, and procedures to support us. Take nose out of the air and stop rolling eyes. Parent pay alot of money. Toys need to be reordered. Being a teacher doesn't pay much and I know being short staffed comes with the job...but, appreciate your teachers...they work hard.!

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-01-09
  7. "Okay"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

-lovely children -diverse work environment -good wages

Cons

-condescending management -long hours -no paid time on holidays

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2018-11-01
  8. "Tough job"

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, education is supported.

Cons

Long hours for little pay. Not enough management support.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2018-09-26
  9. "Preschool Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Lexington, MA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The children, families and staff were all great. -Pay and benefits were great. -Extensive training -Paid OT, holidays and training

Cons

-Long hours -Big work load daily, felt like you always had deadlines to meet -Some staff are inexperienced and lazy

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2018-08-23
  10. "Opportunities to Improve"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions part-time

Pros

They were flexible, and worked with me when I was going to school and working full-time. I really enjoyed most of the people I work with here, and most days genuinely enjoy coming to work. Administration does some great employee appreciation events including Teacher Appreciation Month, Valentines Day cards/roses for teachers, etc. Most parents really respect how much time and energy teachers put into working with... their children. They do a great job of hiring internally, and really push opportunities for advancement both within the company and through education incentives.

Cons

There is a lot of turn-over, teachers are often working long hours, and due to high turn over rates we often do not know our work schedules, as teachers are expected to work longer than 8 hours/day. I know of teachers who were asked to come in when they were sick because we did not have enough teachers to be in ratio with the number of children. I was once told to get a doctor's note when I called out sick, and have... heard of similar stories from other teachers where they have been shamed for using their sick time. I think the company could do better when it comes to incentives to keep teachers around.

Advice to Management

I think that there are certainly people who have not been able to work in childcare because it is not an environment for everyone. I think that the challenges the center has faced include the extremely high-turn over rate, which has been an issue for years now. I think as a company if the same issues persist for years, that should be an indication that the issues might not just be with the employees, but with the... company itself. Most of the people I work with cannot afford to live on just hourly pay, and thus have to take additional part-time jobs. Another issue I find is the cost of childcare, and that the employees of the company cannot afford to enroll their children at these centers with their hourly pay. I think overall the amount of money employees are paid, is not enough based on the cost of living in Boston, and the amount of hours employees are forced to work based on the high turn-over rate of teachers.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2018-05-12