Bright Horizons Family Solutions "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bright Horizons Family Solutions Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 15, 2019

Bright Horizons Family Solutions CEO Stephen Kramer (no image)
Stephen Kramer
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"A company that really cares"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. There's constant support from leadership 2. I always feel there's a open door policy from leaders and HR as needed 3. Growth opportunities are plentiful and you are empowered to seek them 4. Compensation is merit based and not related to seniority and tenure 5. The home office is very flexible with work hours, working from home, understanding work life balance and most importantly supporting you when... life gets in the way of work

Cons

1. There's lingering attitudes from years ago when consensus decision making was used and this can hold back innovation and slows down progress 2. The IT team is not strong enough IMO to handle all the projects, general support, changes and various applications used in the org. This department is a clear weakness compared to other large companies I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Institute a larger on-boarding & new hire training program. This will go a long way to help with current 1BH initiative. Companies of this size often do a mandatory, in person 1+ week corporate training and exposure to the business, processes, culture and software. As of now there's no company wide training offered to new hires, only a 1 hour benefits session and a tour. This is a complex company with many... divisions, products and services and after 6 years here I still don't know much about some divisions despite seeking that information out.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-04-03
  2. "Don't get sucked in"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The families and children, the people you work with. You can grow at BH, but, someone has to like you enough to recognize your hard work.

Cons

If someone above you decides to target you, that is exactly what will happen. You will be set up to fail to make them look good regardless of years of service and all you have done for them. They promise you that they take care of their employees and help you grow, however, if one person wants a change, your job could be at risk. Sadly, BH doesn't practice what they preach. You will also be worked to the bone... and not actually get the "work/life balance" they love to talk about.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees. Help them grow, don't set people up to fail. It's mean and goes against the mission you so proudly speak.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-11-15
  3. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people at Bright Horizons are among the best in terms of warmth, knowledge, and reliability. The culture is very welcoming and diverse. Good work-life balance.

Cons

The company is way behind in technical capabilities. Teachers are still way underpaid. Living wage is not paid for Bay Area life.

Advice to Management

Do not roll out technology without thoroughly testing it in may different scenarios. Do not advertise online registration until it is more user friendly for both clients and families.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-10-17

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and great work life balance. Many amazing people

Cons

Very low pay and embarrassing annual increased. Overwhelming stressful work load. Bleak professional development and virtually no job progression higher than you were hired. Management almost always hired from the outside.

Advice to Management

Stop treating contractors and interns better than employees. Put money and time into learning opportunities and professional development for better cross training and job progression.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-08-28

"Lackluster support"

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

Honestly it is the children that keeps me going day by day. Without their beaming faces and mount of abundant love I would have walked way a long time ago. The pay is decent but not for the amount of work that you are given outside of your job description.

Cons

Favoritism towards certain employees between the bosses and cohorts. It is challenging to maintain a healthy work life balance due to constantly being denied that right and given a guilt trip because of it. As teachers we rarely have time to complete trainings and the little time we are able to plan can be slim to none based on ratio purposes. Respect has not been given to me and there have been moments where I’m... left feeling both belittled and alone.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and notice signs of distress that they exude. When a person is crying out for help...listen.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-08-07
  6. "Bright Horizons is a good company."

Pre-kindergarten Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions

Pros

Management and families are great

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible when you have your own children to take care of after work. Pay is not enough to support yourself let alone a family.

Advice to Management

We love teaching but we want our money’s worth. We are worth more.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-08-02
  7. "Too much..."

Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

Internal training methods. Working with children and families.

Cons

Horrible work-life balance. Salaries are low.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-07-25

"Great Company, Ruined by Local Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time

Pros

The mission and educational philosophies of BH were excellent. I truly miss the work in that respect. I also valued the company wide inclusion initiatives greatly.

Cons

Local management, quite frankly, ruined my experience. My role was ever-changing, which allowed the administration to use myself (and others) as scapegoats when something went awry. Likewise, when something within the purview of the administration did go wrong, I neither saw them take responsibility nor did they ever make an effort to rectify those issues. The administration held performance reviews and one on ones... that were mostly used for gossip about other employees and not for actual performance improvement. Given the nature of my role, employees complained directly to me about rumors and gossip they had become aware of. Similarly, a handful of employees expressed discontent with the fact their employment offers were not being honored. Many were promised certain pay rates/raises, time off, child care discounts, and promotions that never materialized. I, myself, was promised a raise after 3 months that I was never given. I was likewise granted time off for a holiday in my acceptance of the job. Upon returning from my vacation, I was greeted with remarks of "must have been nice to have that time off while we were all working" and “not all of us got to take that much time off like you did.” So sure, you can take time off, but prepare to be endlessly reminded and berated for doing so. This is an indicator of bad culture. My role was also consistently undermined by the administration. A number of my direct reports were strangely promised my job by the administration. Further compounding the issue, the administration would interrupt me during presentations, cut me off, and correct me in front of employees in what seemed to be a weird power play. Problematically, the administration was only present about 50-60% of the time, frequently leaving at 1 pm, and claimed to be "working from home" at least 1-2x per week. This perk was not offered to other administrative staff even when asked for it. The regional-level administration only compounded some of these issues. They, too, engaged in what some may define as seditious gossip-inducing behavior. Among the regional leadership, one person in particular was caught – and documented – on multiple occasions lying about direction they had given, lying to clients (oof), routinely throwing others under the proverbial bus and so on. This person made desperate attempts at saving face, which cost them their reputation within the company and eventually their job. The final straw for me was being told I needed to stay much later than what was promised to me during my interviews and offer. The work-life balance had become too heavy on the "work" with too little effort made to support employees’ life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Research your director-level candidates. RM's and DM's should have a more open-door policy with teachers and administration to assist in tackling some of these issues before good employees are lost. In the end, management issues such as these cause centers to hemorrhage employees which only hurts the children.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-08-10

"Management is the WORST."

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good job if you need a boost in education or experience.

Cons

If you do not have interest in pursuing education, then this isn't the place for you. Management gives fake promises for growth and never come through. Literally no work/life balance. They want you to stay extra hours because they never have enough staff. They want you to paint this pretty picture for parents when in reality their teachers are miserable and management is terrible.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating your employees. Management needs to stop the gossip and stop playing favorites and recognize those who are worth recognizing. You don't want people to quit? then pay them accordingly.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-06-22

"Fun place to work if you love children."

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bright Horizons Family Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, exciting, teachers and families make it work it, rewarding. A lot of great internal professional development, resources, etc.

Cons

Not enough pay, no work/life balance, very top-heavy company. Money should be going to the teachers, not the higher ups. A lot of responsibility for very little recognition

Advice to Management

Pay the people who are on the floor with the children all day, every day.

Bright Horizons Family Solutions2019-04-25