Bright Lights USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Community Service"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Barrington, NJ
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Barrington, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We just came off a weekend of supporting MS and team building doing a mud run. All had a fabulous time working together and supporting this great cause. This is just one of various charities our company supports during a course of the year. Another great thing we do is employ people with special needs. Each person has a unique skill set and job to match. It's amazing to help them and see how they help us in the company. Truly inspirational.

Cons

No cons to think of except it's getting a little tight in the office for space as we grow and expand. Look forward to what the future brings and only see positive things for the future. Love working in caring atmosphere where team building and support of staff members is at your finger tips.

Advice to Management

Let's do more of the same everyone has so much fun. Thank you for all your efforts to provide a great place to be and feel good about the work we do.

"Both good and bad"

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time

Pros

There used to be "pros" -

that unlimited overtime was available, there was plenty of work to do. There used to be a variety of work with new business coming in. CEO and management are very compassionate and loyal to employees who have health problems and personal challenges. There is community involvement with support of charities and provides assistance for curriculum development to a local college.
    Management provides continual 40-hour support even through lack of work.

Former CEO was a generous and "giving" person who knew what it was like to endure hardship on a personal level and had deep technical knowledge of the industry he served and the products he made.

In the past, there was a minimum of "middle management".

Cons

The pay is far below market-value for people of similar experience and skillset. There are no periodic reviews of employees. The only way to get a raise is to threaten to quit. Those who do usually get lied to and actually either get no raise or a cheap "buy-off" attempt instead of what they are promised. Employees are objectified as "commodities" - there is no investment in training or mentorship.

It is a highly "dead-end" job. The company's growth is stagnant, the work now consists mainly of repeat business which is dwindling away. The designs of the products are 30 years old and more. The management has a dread fear of "problems" and is complacent rather than accepting the challenge of growth.

Office employees are treated with greater "perks" than production employees. Their work area is clean, organized, and they are salaried. The production environment is unsafe, dirty, the first-aid kit is empty, there is no investment in even inexpensive provision. This speaks LOUDLY to the lack of valuation they have to the company, when they are every bit as essential to its success as those in the office.

Micromanagement is the total rule and never the exception.

Advice to Management

Your business is DYING. You cannot solve this problem by only addressing "sales". Your salesmen have nothing to offer that is relevant to today. Investing in "quality" is good, but if the products are not wanted nor needed by the customer base, the quality is irrelevant.

Your employees, by and large, want us to be EXCEPTIONAL. We have a valuable offering of technical know-how and experience which can be "tapped" to overcome this lack of growth.

Stop your micromanagement and espionage upon us. Make us feel like the trustworthy, loyal people that we ARE.

Provide vision rather than castigation.

Make INVESTMENT in your people. We are your most important resource. We are not "commodities".

3. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Controller in Barrington, NJ
    Current Employee - Controller in Barrington, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Bright Lights USA. From the day I started, I always felt appreciated. I had many ideas to make the daily work flow better and everyone was very open to my ideas and they implemented many of them. There is always an open door policy with the owner. Employees work together and there is great teamwork. It is a very interesting industry to work in and it was new to me when I started. I asked a lot of questions and everyone was willing and eager to answer them. New employees are never left to flounder as there is always someone available to help them achieve their goals. I love working in this teamwork atmosphere. There is a 401K with an employer match up to 3% of your salary. Very nice! We also have an FSA.

Cons

Overtime is expected but well compensated. Two separate locations sometimes makes communication difficult, but we make it work. Two weeks/year vacation is the most you get. The medical insurance is basic, but it is available and the company reimburses you for half of your doctor visit co-pays.

4. "REWARDING WORKPLACE"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Owner and Management are Aces in my book and others feel the same about Bright Lights USA, I was out of this line of work for many years, they took a risk and hired me on, I fell right back into things with the help of others here, it's a true team here and they all have your back, excellent work flow, O.T. if you like to work it, small cozy shop with high energy workflow, excellent co-workers, super talented team in many different areas, and that makes a solid foundation for success, I see a bright future here with owners Leadership, they do care about employees, nice perks also, insurance is mild to say but it's coverage, it's a nice place to come daily, I really enjoy the low stress level, nice to walk out feeling you did your job and your not taking anything home with you.

Cons

Only thing I can come up with is the tight parking lot...lol

Advice to Management

Set the Goal, we the employees will do the rest.

5. "Order Entry Department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA (More than a year)

Pros

I submitted my resume and was called in to fill out an application. This being the first large company I worked for I was very nervous. Everyone was extremely helpful from the managers down to the employees. Working at Bright Lights has been the best experience. I cannot say enough about the management team and fellow employees. They are the most pleasant and helpful people to work with on a day to day basis.

Cons

I can not provide any cons at this time. I have had nothing but a positive experience working at Bright Lights USA.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you doing because it is working!

6. "Hopeful"

Current Employee - Leader in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Leader in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work, steady employer, daily challenges - not much repetition. Progressive, support from management, very talented team you can learn from, interesting defense work

Cons

Processes need to be written down, flow of work stream-lined. Parking is congested and inconvenient. Key employees with positive attitudes are needed to move ahead.

Advice to Management

Share everything, inspire hope, layout a vision for the future.

"Get the chance to grow and stretch your talents and abilities to grow everyday."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team that will make the company grow bigger and brighter as time goes on. I have learned a lot in the amount of time working for the company. Have had the opportunity to take on new responsibilities and learn new things each and everyday. The company is constantly giving employees every chance to succeed.

Cons

A little more structure is needed in work hours of employees - starting/ending times each employee works. Open forum between employees and managers to express views, exchange ideas to help the company get even better than it is.

Advice to Management

Just keep the lines of communication open as you are doing now so that every voice can be heard. This will only make the company grow stronger each and every day.

"My Review"

I worked at Bright Lights USA full-time

Pros

Company had good people who tried hard to do their jobs.

Cons

Company is micro-managed. Back-stabbing and lies are/were rampant in the company. Rules apply to most, but not all, employees. Work is piled on some employees until they are almost crushed. And then, they lose their jobs because "we are redistributing the workload".

Advice to Management

Better learn someday to treat employees with respect.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Administration in Barrington, NJ
    Former Employee - Administration in Barrington, NJ

I worked at Bright Lights USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of work to keep you busy so days pass fairly quickly. Fellow employees, most are nice and provide a shoulder to cry on.

Cons

President, Dan Farber, very mistrusting and paranoid. Your day will depend on what mood he is in and if you are the daily target. He rules by micro-managing and alienating employees. Very rarely will you be complimented but frequently verbally abused. This company is a time bomb.The first year you get two weeks vacation which never increases. Raises are very rare. Don't believe what you are told on your interview.

Advice to Management

See how other companies treat their employees. Take a management course and let people do their jobs.

10. "so far not that bad,"

Current Employee - Just An Employee in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Just An Employee in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Bright Lights USA full-time

Pros

This company offers a lot of overtime if you know what your doing and are willing to work the hours, I see the company going through a lot of changes that appear to be in the rite direction.

Cons

A lot of people like to say a lot of negitive things. The job is what you make of it. Everyone will think they are worth more than what they get paid. I'm just thankfule for the opportunity and having a job.

Advice to Management

You guy should really take a look at the crew you have. Their are a some really talented people you have working for you. People you can count on who are dependable, and hard workers. The people that are worth keeping need something to happen because 1 by 1 the tallent will find a better opportunity.