Brightcove "401k match" Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Employee Reviews about "401k match"

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray
Pros
  • "Great support for flexible schedules/work-life balance - they believe in their people and trust them to get the job done(in 19 reviews)

• "Strong company culture with great people across the organization(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "the 401k match is low, most companies offer at least a 1 to 1 match on the first(in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "401k match"

Return to all Reviews

"diamond in the rough"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. flexible schedule | telecommute ability | take time off as you need 2. great atlantic wharf location | bagel fridays | lots of employee perks 3. pretty good benefits package 4. ability to contribute and "make a mark" across the larger organization where brand, process and structure may not yet be developed or where there are areas for improvement. 5. most people are approachable and the... ability to develop positive team relationships is there if you try working from a point of collaboration. (after all we all are working for the same goal or should be!!!) I have been working at Brightcove fulltime and I have certainly seen a lot of change. With that said...change is pretty hard for people who "only know what they know" and have never experienced any other industry, ideas, perspectives, etc. I believe I have a very optimistic and positive attitude toward work, if you don't then you probably should evaluate what it is your doing because it's most likely not the right company, job or industry for you. I look around and see a diamond in the rough and so much untapped potential and I am hopeful that our change in leadership positions will help us get there. You can't scale a business without knowing the basics...ie what is it your customers need, how you solve it, how much it costs you, what the roi of your investment is, I can go on and on. I'm confident Jeff Ray, the new CEO will help facilitate this...there is no way he has gotten where he has if he weren't capable of developing companies. I think people need to learn how to embrace and manage internal change and also realize that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. If what you have always done was working then change wouldn't be necessary...light your own internal fire and be an agent of change and I promise you that if you work on collaborating and developing relationships with your peers it will be better received and people will be become open and flexible. Try it...you may be amazed with how well it works for you but acknowledge all companies go through periods of change in order to grow. IF they weren't growing PAINS they would be called something else. If you can't handle or aren't capable of looking at things differently or approaching a project in new way perhaps this isn't the place for you. If you are a person who can be open fostering new ideas, developing better relationships, rolling with internal change that happens when leadership turns over, proving through your work (based upon data not just opinion) that something different can actually work better than this could be an extremely challenging yet rewarding place. I am "staying" the course because I know that out of great change can come great results and I look forward to not only seeing it but helping drive it. Areas of opportunity are available for those willing to step up and show why they are the right person to step into them.

Cons

1. i wish they offered company commute parking assistance for those of us who drive, the area is pretty expensive to park. it would be great if we could get some type of company discounted rate offered. 2. the 401k match is low, most companies offer at least a 1 to 1 match on the first 3% and 50% on the second 3%.

Advice to Management

I think we could greatly benefit from a more diverse background of industry within our current organization. I understand that having experience within the tech space on certain levels is important but the apples and nikes of the world didn't get where they are by pigeon holing themselves into their said market. We need to attract more people across industry because they will bring a completely different... perspective or viewpoint. We need more agents of change and less this is the way we have always done it voices, more based on determining data and results and less on an opinion. Ultimately we need to invest in ourselves and our own unique brand if we want to grow and scale our business.

Brightcove2018-08-11

October 3, 2018SVP, HR

The depth of this feedback is very helpful. Your insights regarding change are good internal perspective. Would love to collaborate with you if you have ideas.

"The shine wears off eventually"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rotating beers on tap, lots of snacks, frequent parties. Gorgeous office, great location. Made some great friends there.

Cons

The young, fun culture is just a facade that hides the crumbling shell of a workplace underneath. The hours are long and the benefits are nonexistant. No 401k match and the stock is in the toilet. Management is unprofessional and borderline abusive at times, treating employees like misbehaving children. The company is in a downward spiral, and to save money they've been laying off people who have been there long... enough to make a decent salary. The people they do hire are typically fresh out of college and underpaid. Turnover is very high. Teams are understaffed and overworked. Career growth dead-ends quickly, one promotion until there's nowhere else to go within the team.

Advice to Management

Reassess who is and is not qualified for management or VP roles. There are certain people who have no business managing large teams, and certainly not qualified for managing multiple large teams.

Brightcove2017-12-06

December 12, 2017SVP, HR

Wow, it is so disappointing to read an experience like this because the most important goal we have is to make sure that our peoples's Brightcove experiences are amazing and fulfilling, beyond just the bells and whistles of the great perks and fun culture. We will take this feedback to the entire leadership team, take a deeper look at the points you have raised, and do our best to keep making this an awesome place to work.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is such a great place to work. I have been here for a few years and have seen the company grow with new products and more people, I think I joined at an exciting time. We make really cool products, have the best clients in the business, and have fun while we get it done. The culture is great, I feel lucky to work with such great people - my team and the other departments are awesome. We do fun things like the... ping pong tournaments and poker nights, we just got cold brew on tap, and we get to dress casual and just be trusted to work hard and do our jobs. We just had a CEO change and I am hoping that the change keeps the culture the same but with more transparency and helps us continue to grow. The new CEO is already from Brightcove, knows our business and has a great track record for success so I think this is going to continue to be a great company to be at - and I am betting on it becoming even better. He has big shoes to fill, but if anyone can do it, this is the guy.

Cons

We have a solid benefits package overall and I was thrilled to get company stock but I wish there was a higher 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing with us, transparency and communication is something all employees want. Partner with the new CEO, he is well positioned to help us all succeed, let's give him what he needs.

Brightcove2017-08-07

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Hopefully, some of the new initiatives around Townhall meetings, video comms, etc help to increase transparency across the globe.

"Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are awesome, everyone from the admins to the CEO / CFO. The culture and workplace is also incredible. Wide open floor plans and a lot of communication between different groups. We have a huge kitchen that is always stocked and makes a great place to eat lunch with people from other groups.

Cons

I'm stretching to think of any... there are some politics, 401k matching could be better...

Advice to Management

I'd like to see the company have better messaging about what we do. People not involved in creating the product or selling the product know how our products are used or even what they do.

Brightcove2017-06-23

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you that we can do a better job of messaging what we do internally and "eating our own dogfood".

"An industry leader with outlook for continuing growth"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brightcove is the leader in Video On Demand platforms and services, and continues to innovate. The video on demand industry continues to grow and more and more people consume video in all formats and on all devices - this is good for Brightcove and the future outlook for the company. It's rare to find a company that is a leader in its space, has a great outlook for continued growth, and has a nice culture with... smart, talented people throughout. Opportunities exist for current and new employees; employee headcount growth is moderate and controlled, with an eye to the bottom line. Leadership is experienced, plus there is a lot of talent within the organization, and, as other reviewers note, it has a great culture. Product and engineering solid. Demonstrated support of employees who want to move within the company domestically and internationally. Solid CFO leadership.

Cons

Senior leadership engagement with employees outside the core management team is limited for such a small company. The company lacks career development as a whole. There are no clear paths to promotion or advancement or criteria for success. Base compensation levels are not highly competitive relative to local market compensation. Overall benefits are good, but some benefits such as healthcare are expensive, and... others are underfunded such as 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Invest some real money in a real branding effort to establish Brightcove as THE recognized leader in Video On Demand and establish it as a household name in the B2B space. Path and promote more women to senior leadership positions that are visible and impactful.

Brightcove2016-11-23

"Laid-back culture but little room for advancement"

in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule--doesn't require you to punch in and out Laid-back office environment (Boston, at least) with no dress code Free snacks, ping-pong tables, etc. Generally smart coworkers

Cons

Awkward medium company size is bad for advancement opportunities Company prefers hiring to backfill rather than promote 401k match only about 1%

Advice to Management

Hire/promote from within Consolidate multiple offices around the world--we offer a cloud-based solution; why do we need so many physical locations?

Brightcove2015-05-07

"Start up potential without the start up passion"

in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove

Pros

Super smart friendly people, unlimited vacation, gorgeous HQ, amazing documentation, solid products.

Cons

No 401K match, lack of transparency in roadmap and overall vision.

Advice to Management

Collaborate with employees on their career paths, aim for more of a plug-and-play approach to integrating advanced features (and partner technologies) instead of relying on customer development efforts.

Brightcove2015-01-30