Brightcove Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Engineer Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 23 reviews

3.2
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray
  1. "Rebecca"

Current Intern - QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove for less than a year

Pros

Working Environment is good, people are nice and professional here

Cons

Not too much to work

Brightcove2018-04-25
  2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Paid time-offs - Work from home flexibility - Great work-culture

Cons

No cons as of now

Brightcove2019-09-17

"Worst of both worlds"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Boston office is in a good location, with a lot of "tech startup" amenities (tons of snacks, cold brew/beer on tap, etc).

Cons

Brightcove is a company that for a long time has been trying to transition from a fun, startup-y culture and modus operandi into a Real Business that makes Real Money and now they are finally on the path to do so. Here are some of the biggest changes they've made: - almost total replacement of core leadership, swapping out people with a vision for the future of video technology for sociopaths who have a vision of... giant piles of money and not much else - large portions of the Customer Experience (support, onboarding, etc) division are now outsourced (with more to follow) - HR team has substituted the "first grade teacher voice" in for actual compassion and understanding (the same tone they use to reply to any negative Glassdoor reviews) - large scale layoffs Brightcove has exchanged their fun welcoming atmosphere for the trappings of a Very Corporate Corporation, while maintaining all of the negative parts of startup culture (poor work-life balance, low pay, benefits are average at best)

Advice to Management

None at this time; from my experience, any suggestions or advice are typically ignored anyway.

Brightcove2019-07-19

"The shine wears off eventually"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rotating beers on tap, lots of snacks, frequent parties. Gorgeous office, great location. Made some great friends there.

Cons

The young, fun culture is just a facade that hides the crumbling shell of a workplace underneath. The hours are long and the benefits are nonexistant. No 401k match and the stock is in the toilet. Management is unprofessional and borderline abusive at times, treating employees like misbehaving children. The company is in a downward spiral, and to save money they've been laying off people who have been there long... enough to make a decent salary. The people they do hire are typically fresh out of college and underpaid. Turnover is very high. Teams are understaffed and overworked. Career growth dead-ends quickly, one promotion until there's nowhere else to go within the team.

Advice to Management

Reassess who is and is not qualified for management or VP roles. There are certain people who have no business managing large teams, and certainly not qualified for managing multiple large teams.

Brightcove2017-12-06

December 12, 2017SVP, HR

Wow, it is so disappointing to read an experience like this because the most important goal we have is to make sure that our peoples's Brightcove experiences are amazing and fulfilling, beyond just the bells and whistles of the great perks and fun culture. We will take this feedback to the entire leadership team, take a deeper look at the points you have raised, and do our best to keep making this an awesome place to work.

"Great culture."

Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove

Pros

Culture, awesome location in Boston and vacation benefits. Very nice people to work with and a lot of work flexibility.

Cons

I don't really have anything con. I might say that the stocks usually vary a lot, but I don't think this is a problem.

Brightcove2017-08-29

November 29, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - it means a lot to both the current team and anyone considering Brightcove in the future.

"Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble. The products and technology are intelligent and useful The experience is relative to the market Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much) Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities. Growth opportunity is readily... available, and commonly translates to additional income Benefits are valuable PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization Training is ill-defined and on-the-go 401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Brightcove2017-03-24

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I agree with you that Brightcove is "hands down, the best job I've had". Keep the input coming.

"Great, flexible place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very, very flexible company and culture that wants to work with you to succeed. Benefits like health insurance are really good.

Cons

Pay can be lean, and raises can be skimpy. They expect the benefits to cover these.

Brightcove2017-03-13

May 2, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to create a competitive total rewards package inclusive of compensation and benefits. As we continue to grow and scale, it is our intent to continue to invest in our total rewards package.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Brightcove2017-03-01

March 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to scale our hiring and onboarding process. Please feel free to share any feedback you have directly with your manager or HR Business Partner.

"Senior software engineer"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

I have been working at Brightcove for 2 years and so far I really like working here. My colleagues are nice, smart, supportive, and generally just fun to work with. We are encouraged to try new tools, new services to streamline the daily works, improve the systems. I face challenging almost everyday, but I still feel work life balanced very well. Company provides all kind of benefits, including free snack/fruits,... and unlimited vacation!

Cons

I don't find any obvious Cons so far.

Brightcove2016-11-11

"Great Engineering Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Brightcove workplace and culture enables engineers to be productive while still having fun. The work is interesting and challenging without being overwhelming. I feel like I'm learning and improving on new skills (both technical and non-technical) every day. My peers are all highly competent and fun and easy to work with.

Cons

Communication between departments could be improved to allow for better alignment between groups and overall company strategy.

Advice to Management

In some cases, I think product development may need better focus on specific goals rather than trying to satisfy a broad spectrum of features.

Brightcove2016-10-26