Brightcove Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Manager Reviews

Updated Sep 3, 2019

4.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray

"Growing company"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brightcove is a leader in on line video and is going through a process of new growth after a few years of stagnation . There is a new management team providing tons of clarity on strategy and direction and the right investment in R&D. Lots of focus on a ensuring a great customer experience and the technology delivers what it promises.

Cons

Lots of changes in legacy Brightcove as it evolves to a new growth strategy- including staffing changes across sales , marketing , product . Despite the challenges , these changes are needed to bring a better Brightcove to market. The new talent joining Brightcove is inspiring.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clarity on goals and keep being transparent on how we are doing. Appreciate the focus on accountability - this is refreshing.

Brightcove2019-07-16

July 17, 2019SVP, HR

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. You hit on some important changes that are taking a lot of work from our people, so thanks for being on this part of the journey with us!

"Brightcove"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Brightcove has opportunity within the video space. Work life balance

Cons

There aren't too many cons

Brightcove2019-06-27

"Unproductive and horrible leadership"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited vacation time was great if you ever got to take it. My direct boss was awesome and very collaborative. Flexible work schedule and ability to work from home.

Cons

New CEO has his boys network and has created a train wreck. If you’re not in his clique, you may as well leave. Recognition isn’t based on hard work, it’s who kisses up the most. Current organizational and sales structure isn’t working. Very hard to be productive since priorities change and decisions are overturned once Sales whines to the CEO. Very few women in leadership positions. No onboarding or product... training, you’re set up to fail.

Advice to Management

See cons, I believe that says it all

Brightcove2018-01-26

March 22, 2018SVP, HR

We are sorry to hear about your experience over the last several months. Like most companies in the tech industry, change is a constant - and we admittedly had quite a lot of it in 2017, especially in the back half of the year, which is the period of time you're referencing. However, the company priorities have been pretty consistent over the last three years - and still remain in place. We regularly evaluate our go-to-market strategy and believe we're currently set up for success as an organization. As for diversity, it remains very important to us, as it seems it does to you, and the number of women in leadership here is one that we hope to see continue to grow in the future. As a member of the core executive team here at Brightcove, I have the opportunity to see firsthand how our leadership team collaborates with employees from all different cross functional groups within the company, and while I know that might not been seen by all, I know it happens regularly and we are all working together to achieve Brightcove's goals. I am sorry that you did not have the employee experience that we strive for, but I hope that you can take the positive things you felt from your time here and use them in the next phase of your career. Even though you are no longer with us, my door remains open if you would ever like to meet up to discuss this in more detail. Thank you for the contributions you made during your 3 years with Brightcove.

"Brightcove is fun"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent culture, people are friendly although not always the best

Cons

Turnover is a serious issue

Advice to Management

Work on retention and better expectations wrt bonus

Brightcove2017-02-03

March 9, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We strive very hard to maintain a culture that attracts and retains world-class employees. Like most post IPO companies, we did experience a changing of the guards that impacted our employee retention Our team's top priority is employee retention-- through a variety of programs and our leadership team we are happy to say that our retention rate is now well below industry. All the best.

"Good for beginners"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You enter into the technology world and you have a chance to go to a more attractive technology company afterwards. It´s the right move for a beginner.

Cons

The company is full of 20 year Olds with basically no experience but with amazing inflated work tittles. If you are not in that age group bracket you might have a problem. Management are not very experienced or professional either, so it´s all about being friends with the right people.

Advice to Management

Change management and be more professional, eventually, it will make a difference.

Brightcove2019-09-03

"Lack of genuine regional management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Singapore

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products, marketing, and visibility. Able to address both Media and Digital marketing segment

Cons

Micromanagement and lack of empowering employee to manage their accounts. Lack of company long term goals visibility to employees. That turned employees believing in the company's product to not be that much into the core of the workforce for obvious wrong reasons.

Advice to Management

Being sure that regional management is dealing with HQ with the most transparency as possible and making sure that employees are motivated to achieve company goals.

Brightcove2016-10-17

"Politics and Nervousness abound"

Manager

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

If you are hands-on with your tools then this atmosphere is great to be a part of, as there is a lot of collective brain power within the engineering team. The team is always looking for smarter ways to whip up something. The busy bees are nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Outside of the engineering team, there has been a lot of turnover within management and favoritism at every vertical. This causes the overall decision making to slow down. Folks that are promoted are generally based on "who knows who". Feedback comes in the form of silence or "sent home packing without any answers". Its a contentious culture and probably why competition is always a step ahead and generally running... faster.

Advice to Management

Stop making rash decisions and put a thought behind every action. Respect your employees.

Brightcove2011-12-22