Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
David Mendels

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In terms of work-life balance, it is one of the best that I have experienced (in 8 reviews)

• The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability (in 5 reviews)

• For the company as a whole, they're suffering the growing pains of a post-IPO company (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The engineering group is comprised of really smart and really nice people. Good benefits package.

Cons

Hard to think of. Mostly that employees sometimes forget how good they have it.

2. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, everyone from the admins to the CEO / CFO. The culture and workplace is also incredible. Wide open floor plans and a lot of communication between different groups. We have a huge kitchen that is always stocked and makes a great place to eat lunch with people from other groups.

Cons

I'm stretching to think of any... there are some politics, 401k matching could be better...

Advice to Management

I'd like to see the company have better messaging about what we do. People not involved in creating the product or selling the product know how our products are used or even what they do.

"It coulda been a contenda..."

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at Brightcove, it was the perfect company with the perfect culture. The founder was still running things, and the company had three simple tenants and it stood by them: be nice, be smart, work hard. That was it; no gimmicky nonsense. There was a no-a$$h0le rule.

You get the opportunity to prove yourself and to excel. It's also offers the most flexibility of any company I've ever been a part of.

Cons

Going public tarnished a lot of the great things about Brightcove. However, this happens often than not with start-up companies that go public, without having the right people in leadership and key management roles.

The people that take a company from 0-10 people, 10-100 or 100-250, aren't typically the same people that can take the company from 250-1000. It's called growing pains.

But, the critical change typically needed, is to either update the leadership or be acquired by a larger entity that has the leadership (or access to leadership) with experience, resources, and processes to grow to 1000 and beyond. The founder knew and understood this, which is why he turned the reigns over to someone he believed was up to the task as CEO.

Unfortunately, the company is very much still run like a fledgling start-up, which has stunted if not stalled its growth. This is ultimately unsustainable.

The company in its hunger for growth has become too many things to too many people, and master of none.

Advice to Management

Either remain a small company, and become laser focused on mastering a much smaller suite of products that the company can really stand behind, or prep the company for acquisition within the next year, at the most.

4. "Great company."

Pros

Great team. Great skills learned.

Cons

More resources needed on content team.

"Sales Rep"

I worked at Brightcove full-time

Pros

-Good atmosphere
    -Strong leadership
    -Great perks
    -Fantastic waterfront office
    -Leader in online video platform

Cons

-Cultural changes
    -Management styles clashing with culture
    -Lack of leadership transparency
    -Deviation from mission because of going public

Advice to Management

-Tighten the ship. Putting profits and appeasing shareholders shouldn't happen at the detriment of product and people.

6. "Innovative & fun"

Pros

Smart people. Innovative. Fun. Great culture.

Cons

Lots of legacy products to maintain.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback!

"Enjoyably frustrating."

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, tech, ground-up decision making was 95% effective. Great product and with the right adjustments, could be market leading.

Cons

Pay was way below market rate, communication was scant, middle-management was a black hole for requests / support / critical decision making, and mediocre employees contribute to isolation and departure of top performers.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat from middle management, listen to your "on the ground" teams, and never act like you know everything.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate all comments, both positive and constructive. As the company continues to grow, there will be inevitable growing pains and gaps in communication. We will... More

"Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around
    From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble.
    The products and technology are intelligent and useful
    The experience is relative to the market
    Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much)
    Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities.
    Growth opportunity is readily available, and commonly translates to additional income
    Benefits are valuable
    PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating
    Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization
    Training is ill-defined and on-the-go
    401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I agree with you that Brightcove is "hands down, the best job I've had". Keep the input coming.

"Great, flexible place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very, very flexible company and culture that wants to work with you to succeed. Benefits like health insurance are really good.

Cons

Pay can be lean, and raises can be skimpy. They expect the benefits to cover these.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to create a competitive total rewards package inclusive of compensation and benefits. As we continue to grow and scale, it is our... More

10. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to... More