Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Mendels

Pros
  • In terms of work-life balance, it is one of the best that I have experienced (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits are decent biggest advantage is the unlimited vacation (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability (in 4 reviews)

• For the company as a whole, they're suffering the growing pains of a post-IPO company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around
    From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble.
    The products and technology are intelligent and useful
    The experience is relative to the market
    Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much)
    Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities.
    Growth opportunity is readily available, and commonly translates to additional income
    Benefits are valuable
    PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating
    Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization
    Training is ill-defined and on-the-go
    401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. "Great, flexible place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very, very flexible company and culture that wants to work with you to succeed. Benefits like health insurance are really good.

Cons

Pay can be lean, and raises can be skimpy. They expect the benefits to cover these.

3. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to ... More

5. "Smart & Nice!"

Pros

People are smart, kind, generous with their time

Cons

Too much groupthink for my taste.

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We are lucky we have been able to hire smart and nice people, who get things done.

"Great business, even better people"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Brightcove is on the forefront of the exciting video technology industry. Video is going everywhere, and Brightcove is helping to power its evolution and expansion.

The best things about Brightcove are the opportunities you get by working in a cutting edge industry (compelling products, creative marketing, innovation...etc.) and working with a group of awesome people who are just as excited as you are about the company.

Good salary, benefits, office, perks and location are the icing on the cake.

Cons

There are no major red flags about Brightcove or any reason why I would not encourage someone to work here.

Mar 9, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - they mean a lot to both the current team and anyone considering us down the road. We are fortunate to be a part of the team that is leading the industry. And ... More

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Online Video Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Online Video Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Brightcove for a month now and it has been a great experience. Everything from the management, training and products to the smart, nice people I work with everyday, it is overall a wonderful company full of encouragement and opportunity.

Cons

Nothing negative to report at this time.

Mar 9, 2017

Welcome to Brightcove! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

"Love every minute of it"

Current Employee - Media BU in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Media BU in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're all on the same team, titles don't matter, the customers do!! Leadership is hands on and available to help alleviate blockers so we can all succeed. The company's mission and goals are clearly communicated to everyone, our feedback is taken seriously and acted upon quickly. The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job.

Brightcove has a keen focus on providing an excellent customer experience and innovating products for driving down the cost of ownership while increasing customer revenue.

Cons

Not a con for the company, but today's technology makes it easy to be connected 24/7, so it's hard to disconnect sometimes.

Advice to Management

Recent organizational changes in the business units are great!

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! You have captured how our principles help to drive our priorities on a day to day basis. I agree that it is hard to disconnect in this day and age, let me ... More

"Brightcove is fun"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, people are friendly although not always the best

Cons

Turnover is a serious issue

Advice to Management

Work on retention and better expectations wrt bonus

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We strive very hard to maintain a culture that attracts and retains world-class employees. Like most post IPO companies, we did experience a changing of the guards that ... More

"Great culture!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative culture, nice (and smart) people, lots of value being provided to customers, cool technologies used, new ideas welcomed, lots of opportunity to have impact, empowered teams, great company vision. Really good benefits and employee recognition programs. And pretty cool location too in Fort Point Channel area.

Cons

Some growing pains - to be expected, but "just the right amount" of process and standardization being added over time to help.

Advice to Management

More communication to connect the dots from company and business strategy down to the work that the various teams and individuals do.

"An industry leader with outlook for continuing growth"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brightcove is the leader in Video On Demand platforms and services, and continues to innovate. The video on demand industry continues to grow and more and more people consume video in all formats and on all devices - this is good for Brightcove and the future outlook for the company. It's rare to find a company that is a leader in its space, has a great outlook for continued growth, and has a nice culture with smart, talented people throughout.
    Opportunities exist for current and new employees; employee headcount growth is moderate and controlled, with an eye to the bottom line. Leadership is experienced, plus there is a lot of talent within the organization, and, as other reviewers note, it has a great culture. Product and engineering solid. Demonstrated support of employees who want to move within the company domestically and internationally. Solid CFO leadership.

Cons

Senior leadership engagement with employees outside the core management team is limited for such a small company. The company lacks career development as a whole. There are no clear paths to promotion or advancement or criteria for success. Base compensation levels are not highly competitive relative to local market compensation. Overall benefits are good, but some benefits such as healthcare are expensive, and others are underfunded such as 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Invest some real money in a real branding effort to establish Brightcove as THE recognized leader in Video On Demand and establish it as a household name in the B2B space. Path and promote more women to senior leadership positions that are visible and impactful.