Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Andrew Feinberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We have a solid benefits package overall and I was thrilled to get company stock but I wish there was a higher 401K match (in 6 reviews)

• Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability (in 5 reviews)

"Technical Support Engineer"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture, people are very nice and smart. Great benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing it's great .

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review! We work hard to keep this great culture alive and it is great to hear that you are experiencing it this way!

"The shine wears off eventually"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rotating beers on tap, lots of snacks, frequent parties. Gorgeous office, great location. Made some great friends there.

Cons

The young, fun culture is just a facade that hides the crumbling shell of a workplace underneath. The hours are long and the benefits are nonexistant. No 401k match and the stock is in the toilet. Management is unprofessional and borderline abusive at times, treating employees like misbehaving children.

The company is in a downward spiral, and to save money they've been laying off people who have been there long enough to make a decent salary. The people they do hire are typically fresh out of college and underpaid. Turnover is very high. Teams are understaffed and overworked. Career growth dead-ends quickly, one promotion until there's nowhere else to go within the team.

Advice to Management

Reassess who is and is not qualified for management or VP roles. There are certain people who have no business managing large teams, and certainly not qualified for managing multiple large teams.

3. "Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Untracked vacation time which allows people to take the time they need to live their lives and a management team that is onboard with this. Constantly changing environment with new challenges ensures you will never be bored. Overall, good people who genuinely want to work together. Management is good at hiring people who fit the culture.

Cons

There is not always room for advancement in your department forcing a move to different departments or companies. Many complicated products to know makes it difficult to be sufficiently up to speed on everything.

Advice to Management

Get more low fee index funds in that 401k.

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Internal mobility continues to be a top priority for the HR team and management. We will keep your feedback in mind in regards to mobility within the department. I've... More

"Great culture."

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Culture, awesome location in Boston and vacation benefits. Very nice people to work with and a lot of work flexibility.

Cons

I don't really have anything con. I might say that the stocks usually vary a lot, but I don't think this is a problem.

Nov 29, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - it means a lot to both the current team and anyone considering Brightcove in the future.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best and brightest people I've ever met.

Cons

Market pressures can be challenging.

Nov 29, 2017

I agree that we have a great team. Thank you for providing feedback!

"GREAT COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture and the people are awesome

Cons

Keep up the good work, No cons!

Advice to Management

Great leadership and continue to help us grow. Much appreciated.

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you for your positive review! We definitely agree that the culture and people are awesome!

7. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong company culture with great people across the organization. The company really cares about its people.

Cons

Can't think of anything specific.

Nov 29, 2017

Thanks for your thoughtful review and sharing your experience. I hope we continue to live up to your expectations for the next 5 years!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is such a great place to work. I have been here for a few years and have seen the company grow with new products and more people, I think I joined at an exciting time. We make really cool products, have the best clients in the business, and have fun while we get it done. The culture is great, I feel lucky to work with such great people - my team and the other departments are awesome. We do fun things like the ping pong tournaments and poker nights, we just got cold brew on tap, and we get to dress casual and just be trusted to work hard and do our jobs.

We just had a CEO change and I am hoping that the change keeps the culture the same but with more transparency and helps us continue to grow. The new CEO is already from Brightcove, knows our business and has a great track record for success so I think this is going to continue to be a great company to be at - and I am betting on it becoming even better. He has big shoes to fill, but if anyone can do it, this is the guy.

Cons

We have a solid benefits package overall and I was thrilled to get company stock but I wish there was a higher 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing with us, transparency and communication is something all employees want. Partner with the new CEO, he is well positioned to help us all succeed, let's give him what he needs.

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Hopefully, some of the new initiatives around Townhall meetings, video comms, etc help to increase transparency across the globe.

"Don't expect to grow your career here"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

+ nice office / location
    + good at promoting themselves in local press

Cons

- new leadership doesn't know what they're doing and overly focused on political moves
    - have just promoted two sales execs who haven't made their numbers in years
    - have not grown significantly in the last 4-5 years
    - they claim to be "nice" but that's just a veneer for back-stabbing politics
    - they consistently underpay
    - few women in senior leadership roles
    - no work-life balance
    - no career development

Advice to Management

Get rid of Andy Feinberg and Neil Lieberman - worthless and over-rated. Stop promoting execs who haven't made their numbers for multiple years in a row.

Sep 11, 2017

Ouch. I’m sorry to hear that your experience at Brightcove has not been pleasant. We strive to create an environment where everyone has the opportunity to grow his or her careers, paychecks, skill... More

"Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The engineering group is comprised of really smart and really nice people. Good benefits package.

Cons

Hard to think of. Mostly that employees sometimes forget how good they have it.

Nov 29, 2017

Thank you for the wonderful review. As a fellow member of the 10 year club, I know what a great team we have too :)