Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 137 reviews

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray
Pros
  • "Great support for flexible schedules/work-life balance - they believe in their people and trust them to get the job done(in 18 reviews)

• "Strong company culture with great people across the organization(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "the 401k match is low, most companies offer at least a 1 to 1 match on the first(in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

There has been constant change since I joined Brightcove, however, it is all for the best. The new CEO and executive team have a clear vision for the future and path to success which they are transparent about it with employees. There is no guessing what our focus is anymore, we are one (global) team that is focused on delivering the best for our customers. Marketing has seen the biggest change. There are no... more favorites, everyone is treated with respect and opinions are valued. The silos have been removed and the team is working together better than it ever has and that is largely due to our new CMO. All marketing departments (product, revenue, & comms) reporting into one leader has made us more efficient with less frustration. The VPs have been invaluable in setting expectations and ushering their teams through the reorg with a positive attitude. While its not perfect (yet), it is above and beyond what it was 6 months ago, and still trending in the right direction.

Cons

With any big reorg there are still a lot of moving pieces and work to be done but the right team and people are in place to make this successful for everyone at the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, the company seems to be moving in the right direction, and it's definitely helping increase employee morale again.

Brightcove2019-03-05

Brightcove Response

March 13, 2019SVP, HR

We really appreciate this feedback and the investment you are evidently making in helping to contribute to growing Brightcove to the next level! I hope you feel the investments we are making in this amazing company are benefiting you and making you proud to work here. It is a journey ...

"Best Company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Clear Vision -Incredibly smart and nice people -Excellent Benefits -Innovative environment with continual growth opportunities -Powerful Training and support tools available

Cons

-recent changes in management has caused some disruption and employee attrition - expectation level may be too high for those who are not willing to put in the work

Advice to Management

-continue the open communication to and investment in the employees. Those who have stayed want to be here and those who have joined will benefit

Brightcove2019-08-22
  3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Paid time-offs - Work from home flexibility - Great work-culture

Cons

No cons as of now

Brightcove2019-09-17

"Great sales org with huge opportunity for people who want to step up"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

The absolute leader in video platforms for media companies and enterprises. Everyone is very friendly, execs can be engaged easily, and everyone wants to help. There has been new senior leadership brought in who is doing a great job of positioning the company for big revenue growth. The CRO is making big progress in creating a sales-driven culture and a world-class sales team.

Cons

There has been a lot of transition. If you aren't comfortable with change and the need to figure some stuff out on your own, this may not be the place for you. A lot of the leaders are new and looking to the employees to make big decisions and provide feedback.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The new leadership team and all of the managers and reps they have brought in will capitalize on our product leadership and the explosive growth in the video streaming space.

Brightcove2019-08-22

"Change leads to growth......."

Current Employee - Customer Support

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Brightcove is in transition and for those who have been here since the early days, it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with all of the rapid change. However, it is a good company that I believe will only grow better and stronger as leadership focus becomes more clear. Many long term employees are still passionate and committed to helping Brightcove succeed and truly believe it is a great place to... work. The culture has shifted from startup feel to a real public company, that needs to answer to its shareholders, however much of the start up "perks" are still here today. It may not be the "hottest" tech company in Boston at the moment, but it is a solid place to work, where you have the opportunity to really make a difference in the trajectory of the company.

Cons

Brightcove has lost some of the culture where people feel they are all in this together and working towards the same goal. Hopefully this will improve once the constant change and the goodbye parties for long term Brightcovers become less and less.

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as possible, address rumors immediately, and acknowledge the concerns and anxiety of the people who have been here for years. Communication is key.

Brightcove2019-08-23

"If you like the way old school software (IBM, HP, Oracle) sales teams are run, you'll love Brightcove!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director - Media

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive salary with decent benefits - Fair work/life balance - My co-workers at individual contributor level (AMs, AEs, SEs) are awesome people - #1 OVP in market share so it's a known and respected commodity

Cons

*Disclaimer - I can only speak to the Media business unit. The Enterprise BU doesn't seem to have the same experience. - New Sales Leadership has come from old school global software giants like HP & IBM. They have re-org'd the sales teams in that spirit. If you like a more formal style of sales, and a very strict & buttoned up style of management then you'll fit in nicely. If you come from the New Media... world or a more modern SaaS company this sales team will be a real culture shock and you will not last long. - As many reviews have mentioned, there have been significant changes implemented over the last year - some for the better (more accountability from Product & Eng), some just plain dreadful (huge sales re-org last April). This has caused A LOT of turnover. I'm on my 4th manager in the last 9 months, and almost every friend I've made in the last 3 years here has either quit or been fired as a result of the recent re-org. One sales team lost 80% of their headcount because the re-org turned their job into something they did not sign up for. If people are leaving before they even have a new job lined up, you know it's bad. - The Ooyala acquisition and integration has been a circus from hell. Leadership planned on a certain % of customers to churn but I think it will be much higher than anticipated due to the negative experiences of even the largest customers. For the team that is compensated based on revenue retention, well I guess they're going to have a horrible year through no fault of their own. - If you are remote (ie not in Boston office), you are an afterthought. Meetings are scheduled when it's convenient for the east coast. If you're in San Francisco for example, get used to 6am all-hands, and product trainings at 7am. - True product expertise is in too few heads. - While it's good that leadership has a goal in mind for "breakout growth" in profitabilty, there are a lot of examples of being penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Nowhere is this more apparent than T & L. Your expense reports will be examined with a fine-tooth comb and you will need to justify every penny. If this were a start up with limited funds I could understand being strict. But one of the perks to joining a top notch public company as a sales person is supposed to be the expense account. Not the case at Brightcove (although I heard things used to be MUCH different a few years ago before my time here).

Advice to Management

What's the point? All of this has already been brought up and it didn't change a thing. They are moving forward with their plans regardless what their sales team thinks or says. Their attitude is If you're on board with the new culture, great. If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Brightcove2019-08-27

"Opportunity to impact the business"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

The Brightcove executive team is extremely supportive with a strong focus on employee, customer and company success. There has been a lot of change over the past year, but this is because the company is at the forefront of moving into the next phase of rapid growth, product expansion, and market leadership. In order to achieve those big goals, a high level of urgency, efficiency, and big change is required. This... is an amazing place to be if you want to work hard, work fast, and work toward having big impact in a rapidly changing market. There is a lot of work to do here -- but this means there is a lot of opportunity to own programs, learn quickly, and propose new ideas. The culture within this company is great -- lots of working parents and understanding for family flexibility, lots of collaboration among teams, lots of friendly people, and lots of opportunities for fun (and food) with bagels, endless candy, fully stocked kitchens, ping pong competitions, and more. There are also a significant number of women in positions of leadership in this company including several members of the board of directors (and the chairperson), the leader of customer support, the head of marketing, the leader of HR, and more. The culture at Brightcove is to actively promote those with the highest success record, leadership skills, and passion.

Cons

Because the culture at Brightcove is so nice, there is a legacy of involving a lot of people across the organization in all decisions. While this is a great collaborative asset, if there are too many cooks in the kitchen, sometimes processes can slow down. This is changing as the organization continues to evolve and urgency / delivery is demanded by the executive team.

Advice to Management

Continue to solicit and respond to employee feedback and continue with transparent communication to entire organization.

Brightcove2019-08-02

"Horrible Place to Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who have been working at Brightcove for over 1-2 years are great people. Smart, nice and get things done. Some pros include a stocked kitchen with snacks and cold brew, unlimited vacation (but not entirely sure if that's still implemented based on some rumors regarding vacation), and a rising stock price. The office is located in a great spot overlooking the Boston Tea Party and close to South Station... for easy commuting.

Cons

The new leadership who recently came in brought in all of their "friends" from the same company and have created a very caddy, unproductive, and negative environment. One that many Brightcovers are struggling with. I have seen at least 10 people a month quit - all who have made great impact at the company in the past. People are treated unfairly. The marketing team and account management in particular have seen... tremendous turnover. These people who are leaving were the faces of Brightcove, created the foundation of relationships between some large, successful customers, and helped improve the Brightcove products. I wish I had better things to say about Brightcove, and I truly hope that it changes for the better soon, but I have high doubts that is the case.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in your friends in high levels - stop treating your employees unfairly - stop the caddy behavior and the lies. People in the industry talk and the reputation has been severely hindered.

Brightcove2019-09-04

"Best corporate culture of my career thus far"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Brightcove’s Boston office has a positive & collaborative working environment. I’m surrounded by engaged employees and I’m excited to come to work each day. I also appreciate that projects move at a fast pace here; you won’t find a lot of red tape or hurdles to get ideas implemented. Most refreshing for me personally - marketing leadership allows and encourages taking ownership of your work. Oh and great... benefits - including bagel Friday's :)

Cons

Only con for me is gmail - - I miss Outlook.

Brightcove2019-07-19

"Growing company"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brightcove is a leader in on line video and is going through a process of new growth after a few years of stagnation . There is a new management team providing tons of clarity on strategy and direction and the right investment in R&D. Lots of focus on a ensuring a great customer experience and the technology delivers what it promises.

Cons

Lots of changes in legacy Brightcove as it evolves to a new growth strategy- including staffing changes across sales , marketing , product . Despite the challenges , these changes are needed to bring a better Brightcove to market. The new talent joining Brightcove is inspiring.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clarity on goals and keep being transparent on how we are doing. Appreciate the focus on accountability - this is refreshing.

Brightcove2019-07-16

Brightcove Response

July 17, 2019SVP, HR

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. You hit on some important changes that are taking a lot of work from our people, so thanks for being on this part of the journey with us!

Found 137 reviews