Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 3, 2017

4.0
David Mendels

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In terms of work-life balance, it is one of the best that I have experienced (in 8 reviews)

• The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability (in 5 reviews)

• For the company as a whole, they're suffering the growing pains of a post-IPO company (in 4 reviews)

"Brightcove is fun"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, people are friendly although not always the best

Cons

Turnover is a serious issue

Advice to Management

Work on retention and better expectations wrt bonus

Brightcove Response

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We strive very hard to maintain a culture that attracts and retains world-class employees. Like most post IPO companies, we did experience a changing of the guards that... More

2. "Account Executive - Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome perks/benefits as a company, great product, good industry to sell into, smart people to work with, amazing office

Cons

Marketing/Sales continually were not aligned creating unnecessary tension.

"Fun environment, challenging work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer - Consulting in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IOS Developer - Consulting in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PERKS:
    * Fully stocked kitchen that is a great default if you're short on money and/or forgot your lunch
    * Coffee. Lots of coffee.
    * Bagels on Fridays
    * 5 minute walk from South Station
    * No dress code in my department. My daily outfit is usually a tee shirt and jeans. I can't speak for all departments, but I'd assume that IT-related department manager probably won't care about how you dress as long as it's not too-casual (gym shorts, mini skirts, etc.)
    * New technology - when I started, I got a brand new 15" MBP and a 2K monitor. Our IT department HOOKS YOU UP!
    * Headphone & Spotify friendly - At my last job, headphones were okay, but the company network blocked access to Spotify. Sometimes I need my music to be productive, and Brightcove recognizes that.
    * Want to work from home? DO IT. At least in my department, working from home is very welcome. I'd say at least one person is working from home every day in our department. We have a very easy-to-install VPN software that lets you access certain technology that might be behind our firewall should you need to access it from home.
    * Unlimited vacation

PEOPLE:
    * Pretty much everyone I have met at this company shares the mentality that we are here to work together and do a great job. This makes everyone very supportive of each other. I had no experience with iOS development when I started, but my teammates were very helpful while I learned and always were willing to help answer questions.

MANAGEMENT:
    * I'm still a little new to form an expert opinion on management, so please take that into consideration. My managers (on the consulting team) are very vocal and accommodating. We hold 1 on 1s every week to discuss our current workload, personal life, and anything else we feel like talking about. It feels great to feel like you can talk to your manager as opposed to *only* work for them.
    * Keep in mind that this is only my opinion on my department's (consulting) management. I cannot speak for management in other departments.

BUSINESS (AND JOB SECURITY?):
    * Brightcove is booming. Our years just keep getting better and our numbers seem to only increase at this point in time. I feel very safe working at Brightcove knowing that our product is selling very well and customers love us.

Cons

MINOR THINGS:
    * Would be very nice if there was a shower here. Might motivate more people to choose an alternative form of commute such as jogging or bicycling. Can't really blame Brightcove for this, though. I think it's at the discretion of the building's management.
    * Unlimited Vacation: this makes me feel like I actually can take *less* vacation. At least when you have a set number of vacation days, no one is going to say "You can't take it." With unlimited vacation, our requests for vacation are at the discretion of management. If you plan to take two weeks off and it gets approved, just be ready to have a much higher workload so all your work gets done before that vacation.

WORKLOAD:
    * Sometimes I have had to stay late to get work done, or work once I got home. But, that could have just been that I was brand new and wasn't able to complete tasks as quickly as expected for a deadline.

POTENTIAL CON FOR OLDER CANDIDATES:
    * Brightcove *does* have a very diverse range of ages of employees, but it does feel like the majority of those that work here are in their early 30s or younger. But like I said, everyone is very accepting and friendly here, so don't be surprised if someone 10 years younger than you invites you out to get drinks after work.

4. "Good people, good product - competition attacking from all sides"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brightcove (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, Nice People
    Solid Products.
    Market Leader
    Values

Cons

Fierce competition attacking from all sides

5. "Great workplace, awesome and smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Research oriented.
    Customer focus
    Developer driven
    Encourages personal projects / hackathons /side projects

Cons

Ops issues can fester
    Teams can feel fragmented

Advice to Management

Better compensation, Faster movement on projects

"Channel Sales Program"

Former Employee - Business Partner Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Business Partner Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong talent recruitment, energized autsmophere, new challenges with evolving business model.

Cons

Office location (since moved), some conflicts within management at different levels, sometimes difficult to create change due to complexity of organization.

Advice to Management

Enable more freedom of action within business functions. Trust team to deliver on goals. Ensure cross department alignment prior to making new direct report hires.

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has great culture. Fun place to work.

Cons

Business model can be improved.

8. "Great Opportunity for an Intro to Tech Corporations"

Former Intern - Recruiting Co-op in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Recruiting Co-op in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an intern in the HR department, focusing in recruitment. Brightcove has a great company culture and I loved working with my team. The people are the reason I was excited to come to work everyday. If you're looking for a nice intro to business management / the corporate tech world, this is a great job. I was able to touch many departments, and not just HR/recruitment, although that was my focus.

Cons

Both the team and company can be a little unstructured at times, which can create confusion. The quick pace of decision-making on both a company and team level left untied ends, but also contributed to an exciting environment, never mundane. This is also from an intern perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. Although I felt that it would be okay to express my opinion on changes, I felt out-of-place doing so.

Advice to Management

Always be transparent, whether it is a business issue or a personal one. Leaving personal issues unattended leaves residual tension which can affect the team dynamic.

"Overview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove (More than a year)

Pros

great company culture and coworkers, awesome product, going to work everyday is fun

Cons

no career development or professional paths, they expect people to stay motivated and interested because of the awesome perks but that is not enough

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great office. Supporting staff are top notch (HR, IT, Facilities...) Very smart and nice people. Excellent tools and equipment.

Cons

CEO is a bit of a micro manager as well as a mini dictator. I wish the stock price is a better performer than it is.