Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 10, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Mendels

Pros
  • In terms of work-life balance, it is one of the best that I have experienced (in 8 reviews)

• The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability (in 5 reviews)

• For the company as a whole, they're suffering the growing pains of a post-IPO company (in 3 reviews)

"Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around
    From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble.
    The products and technology are intelligent and useful
    The experience is relative to the market
    Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much)
    Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities.
    Growth opportunity is readily available, and commonly translates to additional income
    Benefits are valuable
    PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating
    Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization
    Training is ill-defined and on-the-go
    401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I agree with you that Brightcove is "hands down, the best job I've had". Keep the input coming.

"Great, flexible place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very, very flexible company and culture that wants to work with you to succeed. Benefits like health insurance are really good.

Cons

Pay can be lean, and raises can be skimpy. They expect the benefits to cover these.

May 2, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to create a competitive total rewards package inclusive of compensation and benefits. As we continue to grow and scale, it is our ... More

3. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to ... More

"Amazing Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Recruiting Co-op in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Recruiting Co-op in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- My supervisor genuinely cared about and fostered my career development
    - I felt comfortable asking any questions I had regarding my responsibilities
    - Everyone in the office is friendly
    - Phenomenal snacks and bagel fridays

Cons

I honestly don't have any major cons - I felt like a part of the team, especially within the HR department which was full of amazing people.

Advice to Management

As an intern, upper management did not have an enormous effect on me, but I would suggest to continue to be available to the people working for you.

"Great Company, Great People"

Current Employee - Online Video Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Online Video Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Brightcove for a month now and it has been a great experience. Everything from the management, training and products to the smart, nice people I work with everyday, it is overall a wonderful company full of encouragement and opportunity.

Cons

Nothing negative to report at this time.

Mar 9, 2017

Welcome to Brightcove! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

"Love every minute of it"

Current Employee - Media BU in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Media BU in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're all on the same team, titles don't matter, the customers do!! Leadership is hands on and available to help alleviate blockers so we can all succeed. The company's mission and goals are clearly communicated to everyone, our feedback is taken seriously and acted upon quickly. The flexibility to work from home when needed is key and the main reason why I love my job.

Brightcove has a keen focus on providing an excellent customer experience and innovating products for driving down the cost of ownership while increasing customer revenue.

Cons

Not a con for the company, but today's technology makes it easy to be connected 24/7, so it's hard to disconnect sometimes.

Advice to Management

Recent organizational changes in the business units are great!

Mar 9, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! You have captured how our principles help to drive our priorities on a day to day basis. I agree that it is hard to disconnect in this day and age, let me ... More

"Great culture!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative culture, nice (and smart) people, lots of value being provided to customers, cool technologies used, new ideas welcomed, lots of opportunity to have impact, empowered teams, great company vision. Really good benefits and employee recognition programs. And pretty cool location too in Fort Point Channel area.

Cons

Some growing pains - to be expected, but "just the right amount" of process and standardization being added over time to help.

Advice to Management

More communication to connect the dots from company and business strategy down to the work that the various teams and individuals do.

"An industry leader with outlook for continuing growth"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brightcove is the leader in Video On Demand platforms and services, and continues to innovate. The video on demand industry continues to grow and more and more people consume video in all formats and on all devices - this is good for Brightcove and the future outlook for the company. It's rare to find a company that is a leader in its space, has a great outlook for continued growth, and has a nice culture with smart, talented people throughout.
    Opportunities exist for current and new employees; employee headcount growth is moderate and controlled, with an eye to the bottom line. Leadership is experienced, plus there is a lot of talent within the organization, and, as other reviewers note, it has a great culture. Product and engineering solid. Demonstrated support of employees who want to move within the company domestically and internationally. Solid CFO leadership.

Cons

Senior leadership engagement with employees outside the core management team is limited for such a small company. The company lacks career development as a whole. There are no clear paths to promotion or advancement or criteria for success. Base compensation levels are not highly competitive relative to local market compensation. Overall benefits are good, but some benefits such as healthcare are expensive, and others are underfunded such as 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Invest some real money in a real branding effort to establish Brightcove as THE recognized leader in Video On Demand and establish it as a household name in the B2B space. Path and promote more women to senior leadership positions that are visible and impactful.

10. "A great place for interns!!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove as an intern

Pros

Brightcove has an awesome culture and I am constantly impressed by the talented, welcoming people I meet here. Somehow everybody manages to strike the perfect balance between working hard and having fun. I hear similar praises from the other co-ops here at Brightcove who I've had the chance to become friends with. We have so many interns in all different roles throughout the organization and it seems like we are all included in decision making which allows us to act as an important part of the team.

Cons

My only complaint is that I am only here for six months. No seriously, Brightcove is a great place to work and I am already wishing I had the availability to extend my internship.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Engineering Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Brightcove workplace and culture enables engineers to be productive while still having fun. The work is interesting and challenging without being overwhelming. I feel like I'm learning and improving on new skills (both technical and non-technical) every day. My peers are all highly competent and fun and easy to work with.

Cons

Communication between departments could be improved to allow for better alignment between groups and overall company strategy.

Advice to Management

In some cases, I think product development may need better focus on specific goals rather than trying to satisfy a broad spectrum of features.