Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Brightcove Reviews

Updated Oct 1, 2019

Found 138 reviews

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray

"SDR"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Management genuinely wants the entire team to succeed - I learn more about technology and how to become better at sales every day - I have a career path at Brightcove and a company I want to grow with - The positivity in the SDR department is infectious, and it makes me excited to come in every day

Cons

- I honestly don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so flexible, understanding, motivating and positive. By far the best management I've ever had in my career.

Brightcove2018-01-26

March 22, 2018SVP, HR

That's awesome - I'm glad your experience is off to a great start and I hope you continue to learn, grow and succeed throughout your tenure!

"Fun and friendly place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Everyone is really passionate about what they're working on. -Great people, everyone's very friendly. -Everyone's very knowledgeable about what they're working on and are eager to share details with those of us who know less.

Cons

Nothing significant comes to mind for me!

Brightcove2017-12-28

January 19, 2018SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - we love our team, too! If you do have ideas on anything we can do, we are here.

"Unproductive and horrible leadership"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited vacation time was great if you ever got to take it. My direct boss was awesome and very collaborative. Flexible work schedule and ability to work from home.

Cons

New CEO has his boys network and has created a train wreck. If you’re not in his clique, you may as well leave. Recognition isn’t based on hard work, it’s who kisses up the most. Current organizational and sales structure isn’t working. Very hard to be productive since priorities change and decisions are overturned once Sales whines to the CEO. Very few women in leadership positions. No onboarding or product... training, you’re set up to fail.

Advice to Management

See cons, I believe that says it all

Brightcove2018-01-26

March 22, 2018SVP, HR

We are sorry to hear about your experience over the last several months. Like most companies in the tech industry, change is a constant - and we admittedly had quite a lot of it in 2017, especially in the back half of the year, which is the period of time you're referencing. However, the company priorities have been pretty consistent over the last three years - and still remain in place. We regularly evaluate our go-to-market strategy and believe we're currently set up for success as an organization. As for diversity, it remains very important to us, as it seems it does to you, and the number of women in leadership here is one that we hope to see continue to grow in the future. As a member of the core executive team here at Brightcove, I have the opportunity to see firsthand how our leadership team collaborates with employees from all different cross functional groups within the company, and while I know that might not been seen by all, I know it happens regularly and we are all working together to achieve Brightcove's goals. I am sorry that you did not have the employee experience that we strive for, but I hope that you can take the positive things you felt from your time here and use them in the next phase of your career. Even though you are no longer with us, my door remains open if you would ever like to meet up to discuss this in more detail. Thank you for the contributions you made during your 3 years with Brightcove.

"SDR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice office, good location, some nice people

Cons

Management cripples their employees. Promises are made and not kept. Failing company with no opportunity. Steer clear.

Advice to Management

Be nicer and more professional toward your employees.

Brightcove2018-01-24

"The shine wears off eventually"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rotating beers on tap, lots of snacks, frequent parties. Gorgeous office, great location. Made some great friends there.

Cons

The young, fun culture is just a facade that hides the crumbling shell of a workplace underneath. The hours are long and the benefits are nonexistant. No 401k match and the stock is in the toilet. Management is unprofessional and borderline abusive at times, treating employees like misbehaving children. The company is in a downward spiral, and to save money they've been laying off people who have been there long... enough to make a decent salary. The people they do hire are typically fresh out of college and underpaid. Turnover is very high. Teams are understaffed and overworked. Career growth dead-ends quickly, one promotion until there's nowhere else to go within the team.

Advice to Management

Reassess who is and is not qualified for management or VP roles. There are certain people who have no business managing large teams, and certainly not qualified for managing multiple large teams.

Brightcove2017-12-06

December 12, 2017SVP, HR

Wow, it is so disappointing to read an experience like this because the most important goal we have is to make sure that our peoples's Brightcove experiences are amazing and fulfilling, beyond just the bells and whistles of the great perks and fun culture. We will take this feedback to the entire leadership team, take a deeper look at the points you have raised, and do our best to keep making this an awesome place to work.

"Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Untracked vacation time which allows people to take the time they need to live their lives and a management team that is onboard with this. Constantly changing environment with new challenges ensures you will never be bored. Overall, good people who genuinely want to work together. Management is good at hiring people who fit the culture.

Cons

There is not always room for advancement in your department forcing a move to different departments or companies. Many complicated products to know makes it difficult to be sufficiently up to speed on everything.

Advice to Management

Get more low fee index funds in that 401k.

Brightcove2017-10-24

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Internal mobility continues to be a top priority for the HR team and management. We will keep your feedback in mind in regards to mobility within the department. I've asked our 401k advisor to look at adding another low fee index fund to our 401k mix.

"Technical Support Engineer"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture, people are very nice and smart. Great benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing it's great .

Brightcove2017-09-01

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review! We work hard to keep this great culture alive and it is great to hear that you are experiencing it this way!

"Great culture."

Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove

Pros

Culture, awesome location in Boston and vacation benefits. Very nice people to work with and a lot of work flexibility.

Cons

I don't really have anything con. I might say that the stocks usually vary a lot, but I don't think this is a problem.

Brightcove2017-08-29

November 29, 2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here - it means a lot to both the current team and anyone considering Brightcove in the future.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best and brightest people I've ever met.

Cons

Market pressures can be challenging.

Brightcove2017-08-23

November 29, 2017

I agree that we have a great team. Thank you for providing feedback!

"GREAT COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office culture and the people are awesome

Cons

Keep up the good work, No cons!

Advice to Management

Great leadership and continue to help us grow. Much appreciated.

Brightcove2017-08-25

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your positive review! We definitely agree that the culture and people are awesome!

Found 138 reviews