Brightcove Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Reviews

Updated Oct 21, 2019

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray

"GREAT COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office culture and the people are awesome

Cons

Keep up the good work, No cons!

Advice to Management

Great leadership and continue to help us grow. Much appreciated.

Brightcove2017-08-25

"Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong company culture with great people across the organization. The company really cares about its people.

Cons

Can't think of anything specific.

Brightcove2017-08-28

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is such a great place to work. I have been here for a few years and have seen the company grow with new products and more people, I think I joined at an exciting time. We make really cool products, have the best clients in the business, and have fun while we get it done. The culture is great, I feel lucky to work with such great people - my team and the other departments are awesome. We do fun things like the... ping pong tournaments and poker nights, we just got cold brew on tap, and we get to dress casual and just be trusted to work hard and do our jobs. We just had a CEO change and I am hoping that the change keeps the culture the same but with more transparency and helps us continue to grow. The new CEO is already from Brightcove, knows our business and has a great track record for success so I think this is going to continue to be a great company to be at - and I am betting on it becoming even better. He has big shoes to fill, but if anyone can do it, this is the guy.

Cons

We have a solid benefits package overall and I was thrilled to get company stock but I wish there was a higher 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing with us, transparency and communication is something all employees want. Partner with the new CEO, he is well positioned to help us all succeed, let's give him what he needs.

Brightcove2017-08-07

"Great company, great people"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The engineering group is comprised of really smart and really nice people. Good benefits package.

Cons

Hard to think of. Mostly that employees sometimes forget how good they have it.

Brightcove2017-06-26

"Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are awesome, everyone from the admins to the CEO / CFO. The culture and workplace is also incredible. Wide open floor plans and a lot of communication between different groups. We have a huge kitchen that is always stocked and makes a great place to eat lunch with people from other groups.

Cons

I'm stretching to think of any... there are some politics, 401k matching could be better...

Advice to Management

I'd like to see the company have better messaging about what we do. People not involved in creating the product or selling the product know how our products are used or even what they do.

Brightcove2017-06-23

"It coulda been a contenda..."

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I started at Brightcove, it was the perfect company with the perfect culture. The founder was still running things, and the company had three simple tenants and it stood by them: be nice, be smart, work hard. That was it; no gimmicky nonsense. There was a no-a$$h0le rule. You get the opportunity to prove yourself and to excel. It's also offers the most flexibility of any company I've ever been a part of.

Cons

Going public tarnished a lot of the great things about Brightcove. However, this happens often than not with start-up companies that go public, without having the right people in leadership and key management roles. The people that take a company from 0-10 people, 10-100 or 100-250, aren't typically the same people that can take the company from 250-1000. It's called growing pains. But, the critical change... typically needed, is to either update the leadership or be acquired by a larger entity that has the leadership (or access to leadership) with experience, resources, and processes to grow to 1000 and beyond. The founder knew and understood this, which is why he turned the reigns over to someone he believed was up to the task as CEO. Unfortunately, the company is very much still run like a fledgling start-up, which has stunted if not stalled its growth. This is ultimately unsustainable. The company in its hunger for growth has become too many things to too many people, and master of none.

Advice to Management

Either remain a small company, and become laser focused on mastering a much smaller suite of products that the company can really stand behind, or prep the company for acquisition within the next year, at the most.

Brightcove2017-06-21

"Great company."

I worked at Brightcove

Pros

Great team. Great skills learned.

Cons

More resources needed on content team.

Brightcove2017-05-31

"Sales Rep"

I worked at Brightcove full-time

Pros

-Good atmosphere -Strong leadership -Great perks -Fantastic waterfront office -Leader in online video platform

Cons

-Cultural changes -Management styles clashing with culture -Lack of leadership transparency -Deviation from mission because of going public

Advice to Management

-Tighten the ship. Putting profits and appeasing shareholders shouldn't happen at the detriment of product and people.

Brightcove2017-05-24

"Innovative & fun"

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

Smart people. Innovative. Fun. Great culture.

Cons

Lots of legacy products to maintain.

Brightcove2017-04-10

"Enjoyably frustrating."

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people, tech, ground-up decision making was 95% effective. Great product and with the right adjustments, could be market leading.

Cons

Pay was way below market rate, communication was scant, middle-management was a black hole for requests / support / critical decision making, and mediocre employees contribute to isolation and departure of top performers.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat from middle management, listen to your "on the ground" teams, and never act like you know everything.

Brightcove2017-04-20