Brightcove Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Brightcove Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 13 reviews

4.1
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray

"Great Engineering Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Brightcove workplace and culture enables engineers to be productive while still having fun. The work is interesting and challenging without being overwhelming. I feel like I'm learning and improving on new skills (both technical and non-technical) every day. My peers are all highly competent and fun and easy to work with.

Cons

Communication between departments could be improved to allow for better alignment between groups and overall company strategy.

Brightcove2016-10-26
  2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Paid time-offs - Work from home flexibility - Great work-culture

Cons

No cons as of now

Brightcove2019-09-17

"Senior software engineer"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

I have been working at Brightcove for 2 years and so far I really like working here. My colleagues are nice, smart, supportive, and generally just fun to work with. We are encouraged to try new tools, new services to streamline the daily works, improve the systems. I face challenging almost everyday, but I still feel work life balanced very well. Company provides all kind of benefits, including free snack/fruits, and unlimited vacation!

Cons

I don't find any obvious Cons so far.

Brightcove2016-11-11

"Great Environment for Software Engineers"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Worked with latest software development languages and tools. I learned a lot about cloud (AWS, Google Cloud, etc) deployments, and was encouraged to work with emerging technologies like Docker & Go. The people I worked with were first-class engineers.

Cons

Satellite offices (i.e. not Boston or Tempe) and teams working on older products are neglected. The CEO isn't attuned to the evolving needs of customers or the market at large.

Brightcove2016-07-29
  5. "Great workplace, awesome and smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Research oriented. Customer focus Developer driven Encourages personal projects / hackathons /side projects

Cons

Ops issues can fester Teams can feel fragmented

Brightcove2016-03-24

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to learn and develop with the latest technologies to deliver high quality, dynamically generated, VOD and Live content to the web. Development is primarily done in Scala and Go. AWS is integrated extensively, including CloudFront, DynamoDB, EC2, S3, SNS, SQS, and SWF. Systems are deployed to Docker containers in EC2 and managed by Fleet clusters built to scale on-demand to meet the needs of our customers and our customers' customers.

Cons

All engineers take turns being on-call. Systems are usually stable, but if things break, it may be in the middle of the night. On-call shifts are only 1 week long every couple months, however, and they help you refresh on your debugging skills.

Brightcove2015-08-19

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed environment, hours, and dress code. Unlimited vacation. Lunch is provided every Friday. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Provides a mobile allowance. God healthcare.

Cons

When things go wrong management loses there cool. Management is very unprofessional and talks bad about fellow employees. Not much room for advancement. 401k isn't great.

Brightcove2015-08-07
  8. "Smart coworkers, fun tech stacks, remote working allowed, good pay, and not insane hours."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

After doing startups, working at large Company with great benefits, good pay, not being expected to work ridiculous hours and weekends, it's felt down right cozy. Brightcove while a more mature Company still takes chances and uses the latest tech appropriate to the situation, even when it means throwing work away to get to a more agile product work flow.

Cons

While I think it's a cool suite of products. It isn't as exciting as working on inventing new concepts. Though I will say no one comes near to the set of video related services/features than Brightcove.

Brightcove2015-02-22

"A good place for family people who also want to experiment new technology"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible location and time. You can work remotely from other cities, even countries and you can work from home any time you want. Light process and innovation is always welcomed. 2 hack weeks per year.

Cons

The company seems struggling with finding the next big thing. The product has been stable for years. Not a lot of promotion opportunities within the company.

Brightcove2014-11-22

"Exciting changes for software developers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There's a lot of exciting projects happening in development which makes for an interesting time. The move away from a monolithic codebase to smaller, bite-sized projects that are fully managed by one team has been a very healthy move. The people who work here are smart and fun to work with. There's plenty of opportunities to spend time with others through Tech Wed, Friday show and tell with beers, Hack Week, etc.

Cons

Brightcove is getting a little old, in software years. With any older company, you start to get legacy pains. If you have to work on these legacy pieces, it's painful. The systems department is in the process of rebuilding, and that's painful too.

Brightcove2014-07-30