Brightcove Technical Support Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Technical Support Engineer Reviews

Updated 19 Jul 2019

1.4
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray

"Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble. The products and technology are intelligent and useful The experience is relative to the market Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much) Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities. Growth opportunity is readily... available, and commonly translates to additional income Benefits are valuable PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization Training is ill-defined and on-the-go 401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Brightcove2017-03-24

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I agree with you that Brightcove is "hands down, the best job I've had". Keep the input coming.

"Worst of both worlds"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Boston office is in a good location, with a lot of "tech startup" amenities (tons of snacks, cold brew/beer on tap, etc).

Cons

Brightcove is a company that for a long time has been trying to transition from a fun, startup-y culture and modus operandi into a Real Business that makes Real Money and now they are finally on the path to do so. Here are some of the biggest changes they've made: - almost total replacement of core leadership, swapping out people with a vision for the future of video technology for sociopaths who have a vision of... giant piles of money and not much else - large portions of the Customer Experience (support, onboarding, etc) division are now outsourced (with more to follow) - HR team has substituted the "first grade teacher voice" in for actual compassion and understanding (the same tone they use to reply to any negative Glassdoor reviews) - large scale layoffs Brightcove has exchanged their fun welcoming atmosphere for the trappings of a Very Corporate Corporation, while maintaining all of the negative parts of startup culture (poor work-life balance, low pay, benefits are average at best)

Advice to Management

None at this time; from my experience, any suggestions or advice are typically ignored anyway.

Brightcove2019-07-19

"The shine wears off eventually"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rotating beers on tap, lots of snacks, frequent parties. Gorgeous office, great location. Made some great friends there.

Cons

The young, fun culture is just a facade that hides the crumbling shell of a workplace underneath. The hours are long and the benefits are nonexistant. No 401k match and the stock is in the toilet. Management is unprofessional and borderline abusive at times, treating employees like misbehaving children. The company is in a downward spiral, and to save money they've been laying off people who have been there long... enough to make a decent salary. The people they do hire are typically fresh out of college and underpaid. Turnover is very high. Teams are understaffed and overworked. Career growth dead-ends quickly, one promotion until there's nowhere else to go within the team.

Advice to Management

Reassess who is and is not qualified for management or VP roles. There are certain people who have no business managing large teams, and certainly not qualified for managing multiple large teams.

Brightcove2017-12-06

December 12, 2017SVP, HR

Wow, it is so disappointing to read an experience like this because the most important goal we have is to make sure that our peoples's Brightcove experiences are amazing and fulfilling, beyond just the bells and whistles of the great perks and fun culture. We will take this feedback to the entire leadership team, take a deeper look at the points you have raised, and do our best to keep making this an awesome place to work.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Brightcove2017-03-01

March 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to scale our hiring and onboarding process. Please feel free to share any feedback you have directly with your manager or HR Business Partner.

5. "Customer Support Representative/Technical Support Engineer Intern"

Technical Support Engineer Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove for less than a year

Pros

This is no ordinary internship. You are treated like an employee. You are always given an opportunity to learn more. After two weeks of training (aka bootcamp) you start to work. Every week you get a on-the-job review. Use it as motivation! Great place! People LOVE what they do. You don't have set hours per se but as long as you are in work between 8 and 10 and you put in at least 40 hours a week you're in good... standing. You are offered to work OT if you'd like which is good if you want more experience and get paid for it. You have the option to work from home. You're a 3 minute walk from South Station. Management really care about their interns. They WANT you to learn. Ask away and give feedback! You get free beer after hours or on Fridays. Scotch Thursdays is happy hour for the CSRs and TSEs. Sometimes you get paid lunches. Holiday parties are awesome! (get's very competative during halloween. CSRs won 2013 halloween stand off!) Great eniornment for interns looking to gain real world work experience with a group of great people.

Cons

If you live within commute then making it to work and working late shifts won't be a problem. If you live out of commute, then you will need to work with management to change your hours for late shift.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! One thing I recommend is during or after interviewing interns who are outside of the commute, ensure you get a mutual understanding of how the intern will available for 6-9 shifts. i.e. (come in very early and leave early so they can make the late shift on time.)

Brightcove2015-05-28