Brightcove "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray
Pros
  • "Great support for flexible schedules/work-life balance - they believe in their people and trust them to get the job done(in 19 reviews)

• "Strong company culture with great people across the organization(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "the 401k match is low, most companies offer at least a 1 to 1 match on the first(in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews

"Horrible Place to Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who have been working at Brightcove for over 1-2 years are great people. Smart, nice and get things done. Some pros include a stocked kitchen with snacks and cold brew, unlimited vacation (but not entirely sure if that's still implemented based on some rumors regarding vacation), and a rising stock price. The office is located in a great spot overlooking the Boston Tea Party and close to South Station... for easy commuting.

Cons

The new leadership who recently came in brought in all of their "friends" from the same company and have created a very caddy, unproductive, and negative environment. One that many Brightcovers are struggling with. I have seen at least 10 people a month quit - all who have made great impact at the company in the past. People are treated unfairly. The marketing team and account management in particular have seen... tremendous turnover. These people who are leaving were the faces of Brightcove, created the foundation of relationships between some large, successful customers, and helped improve the Brightcove products. I wish I had better things to say about Brightcove, and I truly hope that it changes for the better soon, but I have high doubts that is the case.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in your friends in high levels - stop treating your employees unfairly - stop the caddy behavior and the lies. People in the industry talk and the reputation has been severely hindered.

Brightcove2019-09-04

"Consider very carefully. Def mixed bag, depending on the group."

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people, many trying to keep things team-like. Cool products. Some recent hires in Sr. Management show promise, (though others are a disaster in the making).

Cons

Some very questionable management decisions are destroying what was a great corporate culture. Beware the back-stabbers and power-grabbers recently added. They are quietly killing the best people we have (had), making it not a great place to work anymore.

Advice to Management

If you only care about short term numbers, and not really taking care of your customers, you'll destroy the company. Every time. Pay attention to what's going on with BGS and the new management. It's not good, and it's very apparent. I'd never recommend that group to a friend now, and am concerned about how it will impact our reputation.

Brightcove2018-12-06

December 27, 2018SVP, HR

This has been an year of change for Brightcove. I hope you are experiencing some of the positive change, but our doors are open if have suggestions on specific areas of concern that you have raised here.

"Fun and friendly place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Everyone is really passionate about what they're working on. -Great people, everyone's very friendly. -Everyone's very knowledgeable about what they're working on and are eager to share details with those of us who know less.

Cons

Nothing significant comes to mind for me!

Brightcove2017-12-28

January 19, 2018SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback - we love our team, too! If you do have ideas on anything we can do, we are here.

"Awesome place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong company culture with great people across the organization. The company really cares about its people.

Cons

Can't think of anything specific.

Brightcove2017-08-28

November 29, 2017

Thanks for your thoughtful review and sharing your experience. I hope we continue to live up to your expectations for the next 5 years!

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is such a great place to work. I have been here for a few years and have seen the company grow with new products and more people, I think I joined at an exciting time. We make really cool products, have the best clients in the business, and have fun while we get it done. The culture is great, I feel lucky to work with such great people - my team and the other departments are awesome. We do fun things like the... ping pong tournaments and poker nights, we just got cold brew on tap, and we get to dress casual and just be trusted to work hard and do our jobs. We just had a CEO change and I am hoping that the change keeps the culture the same but with more transparency and helps us continue to grow. The new CEO is already from Brightcove, knows our business and has a great track record for success so I think this is going to continue to be a great company to be at - and I am betting on it becoming even better. He has big shoes to fill, but if anyone can do it, this is the guy.

Cons

We have a solid benefits package overall and I was thrilled to get company stock but I wish there was a higher 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing with us, transparency and communication is something all employees want. Partner with the new CEO, he is well positioned to help us all succeed, let's give him what he needs.

Brightcove2017-08-07

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Hopefully, some of the new initiatives around Townhall meetings, video comms, etc help to increase transparency across the globe.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer Tier II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent environment, plenty of benefits, great people to work with

Cons

High stress and awkward hiring process.

Advice to Management

Better documentation internally, training, new hire training processes.

Brightcove2017-03-01

March 9, 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience at Brightcove. I agree, we work for a great company with awesome co-workers! As we continue to grow, we are looking at the best way to scale our hiring and onboarding process. Please feel free to share any feedback you have directly with your manager or HR Business Partner.

"Amazing Workplace Environment"

Current Employee - IT Desktop Support in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people + tons of food + friendly environment + ping pong and foosball tables + enormous opportunities = An amazingly fun place to work. I have been here for a year and I am touching more things than I could have imagined as an IT employee that will help grow my value as an IT professional. Your work is rewarded equally by how much effort you put in and the interest you show and people truly appreciate what you... can bring to the table.

Cons

Cant think of too many cons for my current job. It would be awesome if we had athletic/workout equipment or shower for those who would choose to work out during their lunch break. Also, it would be great if IT got paid to travel to our multiple locations internationally so we can see how each office integrates into the whole that is Brightcove.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have some sort of monetary 'bonus' system in addition to bravo points for work based performance for those that do go above and beyond their current job role duties.

Brightcove2016-08-15

"Adequate"

I have been working at Brightcove

Pros

Casual attire, some really great people, flexible working hours, unlimited vacation. You'll be surprised how much it changes in a single quarter.

Cons

If you don't keep your head in the sand you'd best keep it on a swivel. Another reviewer said it best "favoritism at every vertical"

Advice to Management

Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person - not just an employee - are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability.

Brightcove2016-02-23
  9. "Customer Support Representative/Technical Support Engineer Intern"

Technical Support Engineer Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove for less than a year

Pros

This is no ordinary internship. You are treated like an employee. You are always given an opportunity to learn more. After two weeks of training (aka bootcamp) you start to work. Every week you get a on-the-job review. Use it as motivation! Great place! People LOVE what they do. You don't have set hours per se but as long as you are in work between 8 and 10 and you put in at least 40 hours a week you're in good... standing. You are offered to work OT if you'd like which is good if you want more experience and get paid for it. You have the option to work from home. You're a 3 minute walk from South Station. Management really care about their interns. They WANT you to learn. Ask away and give feedback! You get free beer after hours or on Fridays. Scotch Thursdays is happy hour for the CSRs and TSEs. Sometimes you get paid lunches. Holiday parties are awesome! (get's very competative during halloween. CSRs won 2013 halloween stand off!) Great eniornment for interns looking to gain real world work experience with a group of great people.

Cons

If you live within commute then making it to work and working late shifts won't be a problem. If you live out of commute, then you will need to work with management to change your hours for late shift.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! One thing I recommend is during or after interviewing interns who are outside of the commute, ensure you get a mutual understanding of how the intern will available for 6-9 shifts. i.e. (come in very early and leave early so they can make the late shift on time.)

Brightcove2015-05-28

"Great Place to work, Feels like regaining momentum"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Dynamic space, interesting customers and technology * Great people, great work environment * After a period where innovation slowed down due to "engineering debt" pace has really picked up and a lot of cool new product is shipping or about to ship. * Culture: Passionate, fun, high energy

Cons

* Not really a con, but competitive market and ambitious company means expectations are high and you have to want to work hard.

Advice to Management

Mostly doing a good job; Keep it up.

Brightcove2014-09-17