Brightcove "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Brightcove Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.8
Brightcove CEO Jeff Ray (no image)
Jeff Ray
Pros
  • "Great support for flexible schedules/work-life balance - they believe in their people and trust them to get the job done(in 19 reviews)

• "Strong company culture with great people across the organization(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "the 401k match is low, most companies offer at least a 1 to 1 match on the first(in 7 reviews)

• "Unfortunately some of the major issues plaguing Brightcove started at the top with inconsistent decision making and lack of accountability(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"If you like the way old school software (IBM, HP, Oracle) sales teams are run, you'll love Brightcove!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director - Media

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive salary with decent benefits - Fair work/life balance - My co-workers at individual contributor level (AMs, AEs, SEs) are awesome people - #1 OVP in market share so it's a known and respected commodity

Cons

*Disclaimer - I can only speak to the Media business unit. The Enterprise BU doesn't seem to have the same experience. - New Sales Leadership has come from old school global software giants like HP & IBM. They have re-org'd the sales teams in that spirit. If you like a more formal style of sales, and a very strict & buttoned up style of management then you'll fit in nicely. If you come from the New Media... world or a more modern SaaS company this sales team will be a real culture shock and you will not last long. - As many reviews have mentioned, there have been significant changes implemented over the last year - some for the better (more accountability from Product & Eng), some just plain dreadful (huge sales re-org last April). This has caused A LOT of turnover. I'm on my 4th manager in the last 9 months, and almost every friend I've made in the last 3 years here has either quit or been fired as a result of the recent re-org. One sales team lost 80% of their headcount because the re-org turned their job into something they did not sign up for. If people are leaving before they even have a new job lined up, you know it's bad. - The Ooyala acquisition and integration has been a circus from hell. Leadership planned on a certain % of customers to churn but I think it will be much higher than anticipated due to the negative experiences of even the largest customers. For the team that is compensated based on revenue retention, well I guess they're going to have a horrible year through no fault of their own. - If you are remote (ie not in Boston office), you are an afterthought. Meetings are scheduled when it's convenient for the east coast. If you're in San Francisco for example, get used to 6am all-hands, and product trainings at 7am. - True product expertise is in too few heads. - While it's good that leadership has a goal in mind for "breakout growth" in profitabilty, there are a lot of examples of being penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Nowhere is this more apparent than T & L. Your expense reports will be examined with a fine-tooth comb and you will need to justify every penny. If this were a start up with limited funds I could understand being strict. But one of the perks to joining a top notch public company as a sales person is supposed to be the expense account. Not the case at Brightcove (although I heard things used to be MUCH different a few years ago before my time here).

Advice to Management

What's the point? All of this has already been brought up and it didn't change a thing. They are moving forward with their plans regardless what their sales team thinks or says. Their attitude is If you're on board with the new culture, great. If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Brightcove2019-08-27

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People. There is not one person who is not willing to assist each other. The culture here is really special. - Leadership. The new leadership team has a clear vision and has put together a very detailed plan to execute on their goals. - Flexibility. Hours are flexible and management is very lenient with PTO, extended holidays etc. Great work life balance. - Challenging. Brightcove is a place that challenges... you to be your best daily. Management does well in acknowledging successes and is quick to help reps work through the lulls by any means. - Plan for promotions. Prior to new management, there was never a clear path to promotion. Now employees have a clear idea of what that path is and how to get there.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Brightcove2019-06-24

July 17, 2019SVP, HR

Thank you for sharing this perspective from the sales team. We are building something special and from culture to career paths, I hope your experiences here continue to get better each year.

"Brightcove"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Brightcove has opportunity within the video space. Work life balance

Cons

There aren't too many cons

Brightcove2019-06-27

"Good Opportunities But in Need of More Diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture that encourages innovation and ownership of work. Great support for flexible schedules/work-life balance - they believe in their people and trust them to get the job done. Good health insurance benefits.

Cons

More women and minorities in senior leadership, please

Brightcove2019-05-08

"My second home"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

First and foremost the people and the culture. They're not kidding when they say they hire nice people. The people are more than nice imho they genuinely care about each other and hope you succeed if they feel your heart and mind are into your work. The fact that there are so many boomerangs (an employee that leaves and comes back) should tell you a lot about Brightcove. Others: - Great office/location - Work... life balance - Medical Benefits - Food, snacks, drinks, Bagel Fridays

Cons

Like most growing companies, there's always going to be struggles with communication. But I'm positive that upper management is aware and currently resolving. I also don't love "unlimited vacation." It's a cheat in my mind.

Advice to Management

Be louder to both the employees and to the street.

Brightcove2018-07-26

October 3, 2018SVP, HR

Solid advice - we will speak up. Thanks for raising this.

"Great Atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun, friendly people with great attitudes in all departments - Unlimited PTO and ability to work from home when needed/convenient make work-life balance very easy to manage. - Great Benefits - Great location - Many small QoL perks: stocked kitchen/snacks/coffee/supplies, BC swag, free beer on tap if that's your thing, bagel Fridays, etc.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes lately with little communication. It is definitely having a negative effect on Brightcove atmosphere and employee satisfaction, so depending on how the company handles things in 2018, the value of working here may change. I am personally optimistic that this is just a bit of a rough transition and everything will smooth out soon, but it is something to be wary of.

Brightcove2018-03-26

"Tolerable for a while"

I worked at Brightcove full-time

Pros

- Excellent work/life balance with flexible time off and ability to occasionally telecommute - Management is sometimes receptive to changes that should be made - Interesting work and the opportunity to constantly learn something new

Cons

- SVP of Customer Success is a bully that should not be in charge of managing people. - The Boston office is essentially the biological child of the company and all other offices are the red-headed stepchildren. - As for promotions, leadership loves to reward lazy undeserving workers. Doing below the bare minimum of work and being well-liked as a person will take you far. Of course this is not the case for every... single promotion, but it happens far too often. - As a result of keeping and promoting people that should be let go, the company instead loses its best people because they move on to greener pastures where they can be challenged, appreciated and recognized (or even just paid better - see below). - Salaries are all over the place, so you may be making less than your peers even if you have the same or a better background. You will notice this difference either when you first start with the company or when you get promoted or both. They don’t seem to take cost of living in different cities into consideration either. Transparency and consistency here is absolutely needed, since we're all going to work everyday for the paycheck in the end.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people that clearly don't want to be there (or shouldn't be there) and reassess senior management. Figure out an actual salary formula instead of paying people wildly varying salaries.

Brightcove2018-02-05

"Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Brightcove full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance. Untracked vacation time which allows people to take the time they need to live their lives and a management team that is onboard with this. Constantly changing environment with new challenges ensures you will never be bored. Overall, good people who genuinely want to work together. Management is good at hiring people who fit the culture.

Cons

There is not always room for advancement in your department forcing a move to different departments or companies. Many complicated products to know makes it difficult to be sufficiently up to speed on everything.

Advice to Management

Get more low fee index funds in that 401k.

Brightcove2017-10-24

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your review. Internal mobility continues to be a top priority for the HR team and management. We will keep your feedback in mind in regards to mobility within the department. I've asked our 401k advisor to look at adding another low fee index fund to our 401k mix.

"Technical Support Engineer"

I have been working at Brightcove full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture, people are very nice and smart. Great benefits and work-life balance.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing it's great .

Brightcove2017-09-01

November 29, 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review! We work hard to keep this great culture alive and it is great to hear that you are experiencing it this way!

"Hands down, the best job I've had"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Brightcove full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are willing to go out of their way to help one another, and fun to be around From middle management up to executives, everyone is accessible and humble. The products and technology are intelligent and useful The experience is relative to the market Team level management is outstanding (not too little, not too much) Facilities are modern, clean, and full of amenities. Growth opportunity is readily... available, and commonly translates to additional income Benefits are valuable PTO policy and non-permanent work from home opportunities allow for maintenance of work-life balance.

Cons

Internal Documentation is helpful, but scattered and needs updating Communication between Support and Engineering is good, but needs some standardization Training is ill-defined and on-the-go 401k and Tuition assistance are meager

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Brightcove2017-03-24

May 2, 2017

Thank you for your thoughtful review! I agree with you that Brightcove is "hands down, the best job I've had". Keep the input coming.

Found 140 reviews