Brightedge Technologies Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Pros
  • You'll meet like-minded, hard working people (in 14 reviews)

• You will learn a lot and be challenged (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Emails at 3 AM on weeknights, all hours over the weekend and a general disrespect for work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Sale roles are quota driven and fast paced (in 9 reviews)

"Fast growing company with great opportunities for people with an appetite to be successful in sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BrightEdge is a growing company that is seriously invested in its employees. Starting with a two-week training program in San Francisco, they set their new employees up with the industry knowledge and training needed to be successful selling this product. Management is highly involved in training from the start, which helps employees to fully understand the product and defined sales process. This is key to a majority of their sales team being at 100% of goal.

I took a risk leaving my former company to come to BrightEdge, and 6 months in I have no regrets. I'm so happy with my decision, and I love the team they put together in Cleveland. Compensation is competitive with other organizations seeking top sales professionals. The company loves to reward its employees for a job well down. In general, you can make a lot of money at BrightEdge.

Cons

Could create a more structured ongoing training program, however the support in house is amazing.

"Thoughtful feedback from working in sales as an AE in the Chicago office 2+ years ago"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really interesting and powerful technology. Learned a lot about SEO of which I knew nothing prior. Learned a lot about how Google / search work. Good place to learn if you want to be in that space. Good base salary for sales. Jim ( founder and CEO ) is obviously a genius. I'm still not sure to this day if it's his ideas on how to manage sales at the top that are causing the problems, or the sales leadership that he's hired. Lem ( co-founder and CTO ) is an incredible person. There are other great people at the company as well.

Cons

I had to give 1 star because it was the worst sales environment I have ever been a part of in 10+ years of professional software sales. It's the only job I ever had where I was not successful and stayed for less than 1 year. The level of micromanagement of seasoned professional AE's was absolutely incredible. Looking back even after years I still feel disgruntled from an overall very poor experience. I randomly decided to see what Brightedge was up to and some of the newer responses on Glassdoor made me laugh. For one, we were asked multiple times when I was there years ago to write positive reviews for the company. It's funny that there's such an extreme difference from horrible review, to amazing review, and this might be an explanation why. That's part of the reason I'm choosing to take time out of my day to write this and hopefully be as truthful as possible with a lens that is always clearer over time. Another thing caught my eye while reading recent reviews. When recruiting me, sales management spun the story of how they're a growing "startup" with unicorn potential and your stock will be worth tons etc. I'm guessing it's getting close to 10 years, no one's stock is worth anything, and it looks like it's still a revolving door environment in sales. To be fair, this feedback is coming from 2+ years back and only has a sales focus, so I'm not certain if this is still accurate. Unfortunately I have a feeling it may be based on recent comments on Glassdoor. If you're considering taking a position in sales, be very careful. Really make sure you understand the sales culture and process because a lot of people were sold a very shiny possibility and found reality to be completely different.

Advice to Management

From a sales perspective which is the only thing I can accurately speak to, please overhaul your entire process, culture, and leadership.

"Serious Sales Position for Serious Sales Professionals"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team at BrightEdge is highly organized, extremely competitive, and has a sales methodology that works. The technology is second to none, so you can confidently head into your sales calls knowing that you're backed by the best in the business. Sales numbers are challenging but attainable, with most AEs hitting/exceeding quota for the year.

If you're not driven, professional, and passionate about selling this isn't the position for you, but then again if you're not those things then sales isn't for you in general. If you want a non stressful job with no responsibilities, change your career.

Cons

Training is two weeks in California. While this is a great experience, spending two weeks in a hotel room isn't the best (the expense policy is really good so you end up wanting for nothing)

They are passionate about their sales process and don't necessarily take exceptions to the steps required. If you've been in a sales role where there is more "freedom" to your closing process or selling cycle, be prepared to fall in line.

"Best in class software that is very easy to sell and tons of at bats"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

Pros

BrightEdge is a great place to work and being on the sales side, a ton of opportunity to pitch new clients. There is a clear path to promotion and you never feel out of the loop or blind to milestones needed to hit to qualify. Sales floor is lively and collaborative, which can be rare since sales is sometimes an individual focus. The majority of reps are at or above goal every month which keeps spirits high during stressful days. A proven playbook that works

-Friday lunch
    -Snacks
    -Teams look to support each other (Product, Marketing & Support) will assist in earning new business

Cons

no 401k
    company outings have declined
    commute
    base pay could be better

Advice to Management

more team/company outings to promote bonding. its nice to be rewarded for hard work

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Brightedge Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product that can actually provide value, market leader, No real competition, There is some ability to move upward within the company

Cons

Management rules with an iron fist. Prepare to micro-managed to death. Bull in a China shop sales mentality. They don't really care about retaining reps and basically just expect you to buy into their system. Most reps don't end up staying much more than a year.

Advice to Management

Lighten up with the micro-management and allow sales reps to use their skills. You'll retain better talent and reps may want to stay longer than a year.

"Awesome environment and easiest product I have ever sold"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have sold a number of Saas products over the year and the BrightEdge platform is by far the easiest solution to sell that I have experienced. Don't get me wrong, it is not easy work...it takes a lot of effort and diligence to be successful here, but the product is very straight forward and provides a very clear ROI to prospective clients which for me, has been the key to closing deals here. I have made more money by far in this role than any previous company I have worked for. There is also a lot of support available as long as you are willing to ask for it. My coworkers, manager and the sales support team are always eager to jump on a call with me to help close a deal when needed. I think the negative reviews on the site for this company are primarily coming from employees who were not willing to put in the time to learn the product, the process and then actually pick up the phone and do the hard work to bring in the business. You for sure have to work hard here to be successful, but it has been well worth it.

Cons

The first few months can be challenging as there is a TON to learn. If you have little or no knowledge of SEO or digital marketing in general (as I did not) it is easy to feel overwhelmed in the first couple months. While the training they provide is pretty thorough, it comes at you mostly in your first week and it's just to much to take in in that amount of time. My advice would be to take what they give you and then really go out and do some self study work and just use Google and other online resources to quickly learn about the industry. Once I had figured that out, selling the product got even easier.

Advice to Management

Realize that people coming in with little or no SEO background may need a little more time than you think to absorb everything and really understand your business.

"It was a very bad decision to work here"

Former Employee - SEO Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - SEO Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of kool-aid to spit out to customer base and the public to make it seem like this place is good. Nice website.

Cons

Management especially sales and even CEO are very arrogant and ignorant. Arrogant thinking they have the best technology in the marketplace when it is way over priced and ignorant thinking that they can continue to treat their sales employees like dirt. Chrun and burn is the philosophy with both customers and employees.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror, because you are not as great as you think you are. How does such a small company have so many negative reviews on this site? It is not a coincidence or because of a small group of disgruntled under-performers. It is because of you.

"Great technology, poor sales leadership and strategy, good base salary, overall terrible experience in sales ( AE )"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology. One of the industry leaders for SEO platforms

Cons

Insane, unbelievable micromanagement

My serious advice is please do not work here in sales. If you do you'll see what I'm talking about very quickly. If you don't listen, at least the good news is looking back you'll have lots of material for laughs

Advice to Management

Please completely overhaul sales leadership and strategy

"Account Executive - I love it Here So Read This"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I saw the last negative review and felt compelled to write this. As an AE, we get 100's of leads every month, tons of support and as the market leader I think more than half of team is over 100% of goal according to what I know. Yes, the company does manage to numbers - hello this is a sales job at a rapidly growing tech company. If you have a problem with quotas and running a process that has delivered 100's of clients and selling the best organic search tech, you should try working for 1 of 100's of start ups that wont amount to anything and wont enhance your career. Don't join and go not perform somewhere else. I am advancing and making more money than I ever have.

Cons

none for me - I work 8-6, make money and am learning a lot

Advice to Management

don't hire people who cant do job.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

If you are good, the earning potential is significant
    The company will be successful

Cons

Do not let them "sell you the dream"
    The culture here is miserable and most of the opportunity for new business sales has dried up
    No Work-life balance and you will be publicly shamed for attempting to take time-off
    Management has no transparency and has a habit of intentionally deceiving and hiding information from employees

Advice to Management

Be more transparent
    Let the employees create culture as opposed to squashing any joy from the company