Brightedge Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Brightedge Technologies Founder & CEO Jim Yu
Jim Yu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You'll learn a lot about using salesforce" (in 10 reviews)

• "From day 1 the path to promotion is very clear and attainable, there’s a lot of opportunity to advance and earn more money in the sales role" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance could be improved, but it's sales - every sales job depends on how much you apply yourself" (in 15 reviews)

• "No 401K match, company claims it gives 401K but they do not tell you that they don't match you contribution" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I chose BrightEdge, and have stayed at BrightEdge because of the people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- the management team is awesome, and has truly been focused on my career development
    - there is a clear path to promotion if you hit your numbers - you can go from SDR to AE in a year which is unheard in the Bay Area

Cons

- You have to have a strong work ethic. Expectations are attainable but also high. This can can create quick growth but also stress

Advice to Management

None

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at BrightEdge for over a year and have seen lots of changes, but this is to be expected at a start-up that is experiencing major growth. In my role I get to experience the ins and outs of all departments and there really are some very dedicated, brilliant, and overall great people who work here. Leadership is addressing a lot of recent complaints around culture, micromanagement, and other areas of concern and I feel that we are on an upward trajectory. If you come in and work hard, you will be rewarded.

Cons

HQ is in Foster City, which not as convenient as being in SF, but we just partnered with Scoop, which may help some people out.
    It gets very busy sometimes and feels like you are running fire drills.

Advice to Management

Keep improving the culture and listening/taking action on employee concerns.

Oct 18, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that your experience at BrightEdge is furthering your career and keeping you challenged and engaged.

"Great for career growth and compensation"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

1) Benefits - Excellent benefits compared to other companies I've worked for.
    2) Pay - They pay well - like really well! Plus the increases and bonuses are substantial and meaningful.
    3) Career Opportunities - I have been here for 3 years and from managing corporate accounts to now strategic accounts. BrightEdge have given me opportunity to change cities and also take on more strategic projects. I am now on a path to Directorship.
    4) Tech - The platform is great and many customers love it. If anything it has way too many features.
    5) Great recent leadership changes - They are now adding in new leadership which is pushing the company into newer areas and directions.
    6) People - Good place to learn from some of the best in the industry!

Cons

1) Pre-ipo madness - sometimes the company feels really fast and misses out on basics like weekly communications and employee engagement.
    2) This is a fast paced environment and not suited for 'the large company mentality' they work hard and also play hard.
    3) They should open up Presidents club to everyone instead of just sales.

Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for the feedback and we are so happy to see our fellow team members advance there career here at BrightEdge.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people work here. You get to work with a lot of people your age that you hangout with after work. The pay is AMAZING. Making over $150k in my first year in this role. The promotion path is amazing as well. I started as an SDR here and was promoted within a year to Associate Account Executive I. I was then promoted again with another raise to Associate Account Executive II within 2 months. I was then promoted to Account Executive within another 2 months with another raise. The base pay, pays overtime so when you put in the hours you get paid for it. Commission checks have ranged from 7k to 16k on a monthly basis. Quarterly bonuses over 5k as well. We go on happy hours twice a month and have a fully stocked kitchen with what ever we want to order. You get to wear whatever you want pretty much as we do everything via WebEx so no need to dress up. We have a work league fantasy football league that 12 people are in. They paid for me to fly out and Stay in San Fransisco for 2 weeks when I first started and 1 week when I got promoted to AE after one year. They also fly you out for the annual Sales Kick off which has been at Disney world the past couple years. The promotion path is what really sold me on this company in the first place so you know exactly what you need to do in order to get the next promotion. No favorites or what not, just hit the metric and you get the raise/promotion. You have direct access to the CEO/SVP of Global Sales/VP of HR to voice concerns and many other higher level executives. The CEO Jim will even help you in a deal to help close the sale.

Cons

The job can definitely be stressful at times but it is sales so that is part of the job. If you are willing to put in the work and stay positive I dont see many cons with this job.

Advice to Management

Continue to put us in a position to succeed.

Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for the feedback and we are thrilled to see you progress through the sales career paths into a successful Account Executive role in such a short period of time.

5. "Once again, ignore the positive reviews"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would have to think long and hard to come up with any pro's outside of my coworkers, they are smart sales-men and sales-women.

Cons

Too many to count. The CEO is awful, only cares about himself and having leadership execute things the way he wants. Everyone is miserable. The culture is at an all time low. We have lost many leaders in sales, marketing and customer success - DO NOT JOIN, it will be the biggest mistake you make in your entire career. The positive reviews have been bribed to post when in actuality they are probably interviewing as well.

Advice to Management

Start over. First, with a new CEO.

Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage all employees to provide feedback through all channels and under no circumstance do we bribe anyone to provide feedback. We are very sorry that you have that... More

"Unfortunately Things Aren't As Rosy On The Inside"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Friday Lunches - however every tech company is doing this now
    2. Stocked kitchens
    3. Product platform
    4. Talented and hardworking teams

Cons

BrightEdge could be a great place that employees enjoy working at however, they have not figured out how to share culture across their offices.

I do not work in the HQ office in California however, when I was in California I had a great conversation regarding an employee morale team that each office has. I shared that the office location I work in was in desperate need of that team and I would like to spearhead the work in my location. I was told by the leader of this team (an executive at BrightEdge) he would have to "look into" me being able to join - like it was some sort of secret society.

With the lack of morale, the long hours, zero recognition and management regularly ignoring or missing career milestones of their employee's - BrightEdge just becomes a place where you do a job function and leave at the end of the day. You become just another face in the crowd.

My annual performance review was missed because my manager filled out the paperwork, did not review the paperwork with me and sent it to HR to be filed - how that is helpful, who knows. 6 months later after I demanded to see the paperwork they finally reviewed it with me. There has been no valuable conversation regarding career growth opportunities in my time at BrightEdge.

On my one year anniversary I received an email that started with 'Dear Employee' - thank you for your impact. Don't thank me for my "impact" if you don't know my name.

Advice to Management

1. Never send an email to an employee that starts with 'Dear Employee' to "acknowledge their impact"

2. Training for management on how to show appreciation and recognition for hardworking and high performing staff

3. Career path planning and discussion with employees

4. A systematic approach to employee annual performance reviews

Sep 24, 2018

Thank you for the feedback and your very helpful advice.

The culture crew is a new idea that started here in our Foster City office and is employee led. We welcome all employees to help up... More

"Don't bother. Work somewhere where you can grow your career and for a employer that values you."

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friday Lunch
    Stocked Kitchen
    Can be flexible on hours depending on location and manager
    Learn a lot about SEO through osmosis.

Cons

Complete and total lack of leadership
    ZERO commitment to employees. We are just units of work and the company could clearly not care less about us as employees. There is no professional development. In my multiple years here I have had maybe 2 professional development conversations and both of them were initiated by me begging for them.
    There is no possibility for internal career growth.
    They don't want to ever compensate employees until they get an offer from another company and by that point it's too late.
    Sales is the only priority, they put a lot of pressure on the CS organization to retain customers but sales will overpromise or straight-up lie to customers and then leave CS to pick up the pieces.
    Much of leadership (outside of the founding team) have such a limited understanding of the technology that they aren't able to adequately do their jobs.
    There is a huge focus on new features but the basic platform is often not stable.
    Micromanagement is rampant and reinforced by the siloed nature of the company.

Advice to Management

INVEST in your employees. If you want to reduce attrition then give your employees a reason to stay. Value them as people, spend money to help develop their skills, give them paths for growth and advancement.

INVEST in making sure the platform works. Stop working on new features that people don't want or need and instead work on making sure the platform doesn't crash every 10 minutes.

Realize that in SaaS that retention matter just as much if not more than initial sales. All we ever hear about is "new logos" and the great work the sales team is doing with no mention of the fact that they made promises we absolutely cannot deliver. The salesmen need to know what the platform does, how it works, and to keep expectations reasonable.

"Run (away) Don't Walk - even HR responses to the brightedge reviews on glassdoor are just hot air"

I have been working at Brightedge Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

See everyone's response.
    Lunches
    "Fully stocked" kitchen
    Coworkers/team members

Cons

CEO - could not care less about his employees (units of labor)
    Disarray in leadership
    Overworked and demoralized employees
    Terrible communication across the company
    NO CAREER PATH - despite what they tell you
    Weak PTO
    No matching 401k

They may woo you with a decent salary. You will be overworked, under appreciated, trampled or tossed aside until the only choice left is to leave.

Micromanagement and mansplaining are the foundations of BrightEdge. If you have an aversion to either of these things, let me mansplain to you why this wouldn't be a good fit. (yada yada yada)

You are a part of the Bro Culture, or you're not - but there is zero emphasis on diversity and inclusion.

HR is highly skilled at downplaying whatever issue you bring to them, promising action, delivering nothing.

Bonuses this year were delayed, mismanaged, and not thoughtfully reviewed by our direct managers or leadership. They did send an email with their regrets.

As many reviewers have stated, they do NOT hold performance reviews, but they say they do because the paperwork is filed.

Advice to potential employees: Not only CAN you do better, you DESERVE better.

Advice to Management

If the plan is to clean house and drive current employees away to hire human robots that will read scripts, no advice necessary.

"Outdated product & crazy micromanagers"

Pros

Free junk food
    Nice coworkers
    Cool view

Cons

The micromanagement is unreal. And everything is a fire drill and last minute stressor that comes down on the AEs, CSM, and renewals people. Managers do not trust their employees and are constantly on their backs. The company things it is hot stuff and can charge clients hefty prices, but the second a client threatens to go elsewhere, they bend over and give the client whatever they want.

Benefits suck, no 401k match and only 6 weeks of parental leave (compared with 4-6 months at most SaaS companies).

No flexibility to work from home, only 15 days PTO (including sick time), unless you’ve been there 3 years then you get 20 days. WOOO! #not

Seriously save yourself from the hell that is BrightEdge!!!

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people and train your managers and directors so they know what micromanaging even is! Most of them have never even been in a leadership role and don’t know any better.

Sep 25, 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are very committed to providing a full suite of benefits and compensation packages that are very competitive across the country - and in the San Francisco Bay... More

"Overworked and Heavily Compensated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Brightedge Technologies full-time

Pros

They pay well. REALLY well. You will learn the ins and outs of working with companies of all sizes, and what you need to tell people for them to get bought in. Great experience to "jumpstart" your career, just don't spend more than a few years here.

PS - If you're sent here by a competitor and are a potential customer, the BrightEdge people DO generally know what they're talking about for the most part. Better tech and competitive pricing. While not the best place to work (see below), if you're a reasonably sophisticated company BrightEdge is the better fit 99 times out of 100. Good technology overall, especially in the Enterprise space.

Cons

Overworked, micromanaged, and a culture of revenue growth at any cost. I cannot emphasize micromanaged enough. If you do not like being micromanaged, do not work here.

You will be told what to do, and more importantly HOW to do it. Organizing a call with a customer you've worked with for 6 months already? Make sure you document the previous call, how you scheduled the next call, what the next call will be about, and prepare materials ahead of time to be reviewed by leadership to make sure you did it right. This happens whether you have been there 2 months or 2 years.

Didn't phrase something exactly how the CEO would have in an email? Get ready for your manager to review that email with an executive and "coach" you on the specific language 6 other people think you should have used. I am not exaggerating.

Advice to Management

Truth is heavily bent by some when talking to potential customers. Others will turn a blind eye to dishonesty with plausible deniability. All these things set unrealistic expectations for clients, lead to negative experiences with CS, and contribute to churn. You can't create loyal and successful customers by ramming them through a sales process as quickly as possible, and then expecting successful adoption and results immediately in a heavily complex space (This last part applies to every vendor; yes, even the potential customer that a competitor sent here to read bad reviews). Help your customers understand how you can make them successful and impact their business with a SUITE of solutions, not just how fast can you toss them over the fence from sales.