Brighter Future Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Henry Wang

1. "Professional and Flexible working environment."

Former Employee - Intensive In-Home Counselor in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Intensive In-Home Counselor in Newport News, VA

I worked at Brighter Future Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work schedule is flexible. They pay better than most local companies that provide intensive in-home counseling. The staff and supervisors are friendly and professional.

Cons

The company doesn't do marketing for clients employee's have to find own clients which interferes with job security and stability. Do not get benefits or reimbursement for mileage. Supervisors work part-time so they are not always available to help you/give feedback when you need them too.

Advice to Management

Investing in marketing would be great for the business.

2. "Hard Work Pays Off"

Current Employee - Writing Teacher in Saratoga, CA

I have been working at Brighter Future Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first started working at Brighter Future, I did not realize how much I enjoyed teaching. I came to BFLC as a part-time teacher assistant during collage and now am a full-time writing teacher. Teaching would always be a hurdle to jump over, and it was brutal at first because of the curriculum, fast paced grading turn around, and the supervisors/managers pushing you to do tasks right and quickly; if you do not do it right the first time, they will make you start over and work on it again until it's perfect. After I have adapted to the environment, managers noticed my potential and eagerness to succeed. Now they have been taking me under their wing and helping me grow with the company.

When I first started teaching, I was extremely intimidated because BFLC was teaching the students what I never learned when I was in grade school, middle school, etc; I wished I had the proper education. However, I was up front with this concern to my supervisors, and they never judged me. Instead, they helped me overcome my fears and because of their willingness and thoughtfulness, their training made be become a better teacher.

I have seen employees come and go (sometimes kicking and screaming) for a couple of years now. I came to realize that the ones who complained or bashed their employers were the ones who felt entitled because of their status, whether they had a masters in English/math, had more freedom in a public school, personal beliefs, orientation, etc. This is a small after school program/company, and for any job, you are the face for that company. If you work for hard for them, they will work hard for you. Brighter Future is a wonderful establishment to get your feet wet and to grow in the working world.

Cons

Curriculum and classroom agendas tend to change a lot, which can be very hard to adapt to. Salary is typical for a teaching position. But of course, perks come when you stay longer with any company.

Advice to Management

Never lose communication between staff members.

3. "Busy but fun job"

Current Employee - Writing Teacher in Saratoga, CA

Pros

The kids are terrific and it's really nice to have your own class of students and see them improve with their writing. The curriculum has recently been improved, so now I have more time to help kids write in class. Some of the kids really struggle at first because they are so scared of being creative or getting the wrong answer. It's great to see them learn to open up and explore creative writing.

Cons

There is a lot of grading for the teachers, and the standards are really high. For teachers used to working at a public school or even a private school, it would be a shock to see how much you are expected to do for each student. For some people this may be too much, but honestly how else are the kids going to learn?

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication with teachers.

5. "It was horrible... then okay.."

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Saratoga, CA

I worked at Brighter Future Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really aren't any pros to working here if I'm being completely honest... However, they're always hiring and they hire under 16 as well which makes it a lot of peoples first HS part time job.

Cons

The hours arent flexible because its an after school program and the children are BRUTAL. The first couple shifts are gonna be literal hell.. and then you sorta find out how to deal with the kids and it gets better

Advice to Management

I love Mr. Henry at the Cupertino location, but the management at Saratoga could be a lot better...

"One of my favorite jobs"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Saratoga, CA

I worked at Brighter Future Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the kids. The staff was great too. I got to work with kids from age 7 to 17 and all math subjects from arithmetic to pre-calc.

Cons

The hours weren't great. It's an after school program so the day didn't start til around 2 pm or so.

Advice to Management

Teach compound interest. This is one of the most important subjects in math in my opinion. I was supposed to skip this section but I taught it anyway.

7. "Children are nothing but dollar signs in this establishment."

Former Employee - English Teacher in Saratoga, CA
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Saratoga, CA

I worked at Brighter Future Learning part-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with children is always fun and challenging. I met some wonderful kids and I gained some knowledge on effective teaching habits with children.

Cons

The upper management does not care in the least bit if your child is learning or really grasping the grammar and writing concepts. They would copy STAR testing practice booklets and then sell the copies for five dollars per. When I asked my manager if doing this were legal she responded "I don't think I'm going to answer that" and changed the subject.
    The owner also told me that I had to "brainwash" the children into thinking grammar is fun. The learning material is stagnant and boring. I was never allowed to stray from the written script they give you. The work is busy work that keeps your children doing something instead of really learning and there is absolutely no room for the children to be creative with their writing. The kids were painfully bored and when I asked my manager if we could bring some more age appropriate reading material in she said it would be too difficult.

Advice to Management

You should try to make the classes more engaging and creative. For now they are dull and lifeless which is why the enrollment has drastically declined.

"Management is only motivated by money"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Saratoga, CA

Pros

Ok pay if you teach English.

Cons

Math tutors are very underpaid. Management only cares for how many students you can handle at a time. Often times they had me working with too many students so naturally the quality of my work would decline. They care more about getting the students in and out than they do about making the students learn something

Advice to Management

Bring Brighter Future back to what it used to be which was helping the students LEARN. Not just a way for you to fill your pockets with money so you can drive around with a Porsche.

9. "Great Place"

I worked at Brighter Future Learning part-time

Pros

Helpful bosses, kids are great, very reasonable and chill environment.

Cons

Can be a bit boring if you don't know how to make the most of your time.

10. "Math Tutor"

Pros

Nice co-workers, teachers, and boss.

Cons

Minimum wage pay for tutors.

11. "Great students, Strong Curriculum, Fun Environment"

I have been working at Brighter Future Learning full-time

Pros

The teachers are really passionate about helping kids succeed, and the English teachers are pretty close.

Cons

There is a fair amount of grading student work, which does take a long time to grade (I have mastered ways to work out hand cramps).

Advice to Management

Listen to the teachers and keep supporting them and the kids