Brighterion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Dr. Akli Adjaoute

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent place to work where I gained invaluable experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a very good experience. Brighterion is a very good company to work for and through my difficult journey of my mother's illness they were very supportive.

Working with cutting edge technology has allowed me to grow as a profession, and increase my personal knowledge.

Cons

Could use better communication between departments but overall a great place.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

2. "It was an "Interesting" experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work in beautiful San Francisco. I met some wonderful co-workers here, most I'm sure have left. The CTO is very technical and intelligent and I enjoyed working with him. In my very short time with them, I was recognized for my efficiency and hard work and I really appreciated it.

Cons

The pay here is very low. Of course, they didn't force me to work here. I joined during the recession and I was happy to have a job. However, they did not attempt to pay anywhere near market rate, even at the time but beggars can't be choosers. I suppose this is a company where people go to work on a temporary basis or if they lived in the city and wanted a short commute.

The culture here is unlike any other company I've worked for. I guess it's not for me but the three executives with talk among themselves in their native language and everyone else are treated like drones. An individual contributor doesn't have any say in any decision about the software. Decisions are handed down and you're simply expected to accomplish the task.

About the CEO, I believe him to be an untrustworthy man. When I interviewed and during negotiations, he told me his name. When I started working there, I found out his name was something else. Very strange.

"Old technology, No Leadership or Professional Experience"

I worked at Brighterion full-time

Pros

Location Location Location: I left my heart in San Francisco. But, it all starts and ends there. Working here is miserable.

Cons

The company has one main customer, who in which, is also an investor and Board Member. That customer resells the same technology to their customers, who happen to be the primary target market for Brighterion. Therefore, they compete against each other, selling the same technology solution. Brighterion, then uses all those customer logos that their primary customer/investor has sold and done business with, and puts those logos in their sales presentations and marketing material and tells new prospects that they are Brighterion customers....in Fact, they are not Brighterion customers at all. Brighterion has no relationship whatsoever with any of them. It's just plain lying.

This is an 18 year old company that wants to be a start-up in the new era of A/I, but has very old technology and no professionally experienced people that have ever worked at another tech firm. Nearly all are just out of college and everybody reports to the CEO. There are no managers or Sr. Leaders, just look at the Bio page on their web site....in fact, one guy is a fake profile and doesn't even exist in the company at all. Then, look at their LinkedIn page...not a single Sr. Leader or Executive is listed because they don't exist. As the other profiles indicate, the CEO controls everything. He even orders the soda and juice in the kitchen....he can't even let that task go.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board: Sell the company to your primary customer. You can't compete and it's clear.

"CEO is expert in "Alternative Facts""

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers & great location with nice views. That's about it!!

Cons

Management has miserably failed in most of their endeavors and are using "alternative facts" and being very economical with the truth. Some non exhaustive examples below:

- claiming 100s of customers when they barely have 4 or 5 direct customers including one marquee customer on which more than 80% of the business is relying upon. If this marquee customer decides to change vendor, they're as good as dead;

- claiming low staff turnover when even by Bay area's standards the turnover is awful. Staff never stopped changing when I was there. A rapid look at well-known professional social media sites will give you an accurate picture;

- showing on the website fake members of the management team (strategy for instance) that nobody in the office ever saw, met or spoke to.

The CEO's expertise is deception from start (recruitment) to end.

I am not going to even comment on the lowest ever pay and worst benefits you could imagine, nor on the despicable behavior of the CEO often mentioned in other reviews (btw the majority of good reviews on glassdoor are written or dictated by him).

CEO, already in his 60s, is still daydreaming about greatness (probably suffering from acute NPD) and thinks his Cie is worth billions when he has miserably failed to attract any of the big players from the Valley who are investing billions in A.I. and machine learning.

If he is that good and his technology such advanced, a benchmark for him should be the $500+m paid by Alphabet for DeepMind (led by a real genius) early 2014. 3 years on, it should be easy peasy to beat that figure considering how hot the market is in that particular field.

My bet is that, if he ever manages to get it sold, he will only achieve a valuation 20 to 30 times below this mark. Obviously, he will then claim a great victory.

The ones who will end up crying are my former co-workers who would have sacrificed good wages and stocks elsewhere for a few stock-options that will be barely worth the paper they are written on. Their value will certainly not be life-changing.for them.

Advice to Management

I wonder what the Board's responsibility is in this Cie. They should have removed him from any business responsibilities a long time ago. Bring a real leader before it is too late...

"Horrible place to work at full of racism, micromanagement and homophobia."

Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time

Pros

Located close to a Bart station with nice office views

Cons

Low pay with a racist, homophobic, bigot CEO. False promises are thrown around like candy on Halloween.
    Outdated software and mindless work make this place a nightmare to work for.
    Run and avoid like the plague.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews on glass door and take the advice from your employees.

"This company is a joke"

Pros

My coworkers are all really nice but that might actually be a con since theres always some nice guy getting verbally abused.

Cons

The technology is far from advanced, eventhough the CEO talked it up during the interview. Its funny that every time a bad review is written management makes up some BS good one. Watch a bad one was just posted... within days well have a good one, they usually can't wait.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing people and lying to people. What goes around comes around. Treat your employees better so you dont have to keep wasting time on posting glassdoor reviews.

"Very Successful Company in Very Competitive Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brighterion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Brighterion has always been very positive. The work is challenging and interesting and the client base keeps growing. A long-term client recently told us that we continue to exceed their highest expectations in performance and reliability - now THATS a team you want to be a part of!

We work as a team and everyone is expected to pull their weight. The CEO, a former professor with a PhD in A.I., is humble in his accomplishments, has an open door policy and always attributes the company's success to the team.

I was perplexed when I heard of a former employee who was not happy here. It could be that some people are in over their head with highly sophisticated technology. However the Bay Area has plenty of companies looking for talent at every level so hopefully they found a better situation.

From my experience, the best talent can be found at Brighterion and I am proud to be part of their team!

Cons

There are no issues that rub me the wrong way.

Advice to Management

You obviously know what your doing so just keep working your magic.

"Nice place to start but with obvious issues"

Pros

Great work life balance. Low to no responsibilities or tons of responsibility based on what you're comfortable with. Noteworthy employees are self motivated and great to work with.

Introduction to some data science tools and techniques. Tons of freedom to innovate and create, but little to no direction.

Tons of job security, and a stress free environment. This has led to some funny stories of major mistakes and no one gets in trouble.

CEO is very candid and personal with employees. Everyone knows everyone and they all get along. Office rumors and gossip are very innocent and not malicious.

Cons

There is little to no training for new employees, and you need to be self sufficient to be successful. Everyone knows about this, so you can accomplish nothing for an extended period and still be considered "successful" in the company.

For a very small company there is little visibility. You'll have to struggle to work through the ranks, but a long time employees working in Excel will be commended when they find out conditional formatting can automate their job.

The tool set was cutting edge when created, but due to years of slow updates, everything looks and feels old. It's like a Back to the Future concept of cutting edge (cars can fly, but they still use leaded gas).

It's an open office, but half of the employees have offices. Open offices are meant to make a collaborative work space, but this alternative makes an uncomfortable and obvious divide between employees and "managers". Looks like a call center or factory that recently unionized and not a collaborative anything.

If you are in trouble, you won't be told directly. You'll be called to an impromptu meeting with whoever is in the area when the meeting is planned. Then everyone will be congratulated on their work but you or something similar. Very passive aggressive, but also pretty funny.

Advice to Management

Give employees reviews and updates about their work status. Re-balance workload between employees, have employees work outside of their normal jobs.

Increase visibility. Management needs to set better goals that motivate employees, and managers need to spend some personal time with individual employees outside of the office (coffee, lunch, happy hour). Send employees with recent successes to national larger events as opposed to just the same employee.

Move everyone into the open office layout, and use office spaces for employees to collaborate. Have an impromptu meeting with the person who made the current design (along with whoever is nearby when starting the meeting), and talk about how the design is out of date (if it was ever the norm) and an embarrassment in SF.

"This is a really unhealthy company to work for"

I worked at Brighterion full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say about working for this company. Everyone knows the good reviews are not written by employees.

Cons

There is constant bullying going on from the highest levels of this company. High amounts of open racism, sexism, and homophobia leading to discrimination. The pay is very bad, the PTO is a joke, the company lives in the ice age in terms of technology and everyone in the office keep their heads down as if they are all scared.

Advice to Management

Don't have any, this place is really just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"DON'T DO IT!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion (More than a year)

Pros

Centrally Located?
    The other people (for the most part) that get tricked into working there are amazing.
    That's about it for Pros....

Cons

This company is real front for some shady things. They will start you out at a seriously low income, telling you and making you believe that this is what any other company will start you at "based on your experience". They will try to make you feel inferior to their SLOW, OUT DATED, BAD technology and processes. There is about a 98% chance you will be harassed in some way and never defended. Just don't do it.