Brighterion Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Akli Adjaoute

1. "Excellent place to work where I gained invaluable experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a very good experience. Brighterion is a very good company to work for and through my difficult journey of my mother's illness they were very supportive.

Working with cutting edge technology has allowed me to grow as a profession, and increase my personal knowledge.

Cons

Could use better communication between departments but overall a great place.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

"CEO is expert in "Alternative Facts""

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers & great location with nice views. That's about it!!

Cons

Management has miserably failed in most of their endeavors and are using "alternative facts" and being very economical with the truth. Some non exhaustive examples below:

- claiming 100s of customers when they barely have 4 or 5 direct customers including one marquee customer on which more than 80% of the business is relying upon. If this marquee customer decides to change vendor, they're as good as dead;

- claiming low staff turnover when even by Bay area's standards the turnover is awful. Staff never stopped changing when I was there. A rapid look at well-known professional social media sites will give you an accurate picture;

- showing on the website fake members of the management team (strategy for instance) that nobody in the office ever saw, met or spoke to.

The CEO's expertise is deception from start (recruitment) to end.

I am not going to even comment on the lowest ever pay and worst benefits you could imagine, nor on the despicable behavior of the CEO often mentioned in other reviews (btw the majority of good reviews on glassdoor are written or dictated by him).

CEO, already in his 60s, is still daydreaming about greatness (probably suffering from acute NPD) and thinks his Cie is worth billions when he has miserably failed to attract any of the big players from the Valley who are investing billions in A.I. and machine learning.

If he is that good and his technology such advanced, a benchmark for him should be the $500+m paid by Alphabet for DeepMind (led by a real genius) early 2014. 3 years on, it should be easy peasy to beat that figure considering how hot the market is in that particular field.

My bet is that, if he ever manages to get it sold, he will only achieve a valuation 20 to 30 times below this mark. Obviously, he will then claim a great victory.

The ones who will end up crying are my former co-workers who would have sacrificed good wages and stocks elsewhere for a few stock-options that will be barely worth the paper they are written on. Their value will certainly not be life-changing.for them.

Advice to Management

I wonder what the Board's responsibility is in this Cie. They should have removed him from any business responsibilities a long time ago. Bring a real leader before it is too late...

"Horrible place to work at full of racism, micromanagement and homophobia."

Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time

Pros

Located close to a Bart station with nice office views

Cons

Low pay with a racist, homophobic, bigot CEO. False promises are thrown around like candy on Halloween.
    Outdated software and mindless work make this place a nightmare to work for.
    Run and avoid like the plague.

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews on glass door and take the advice from your employees.

"Very Successful Company in Very Competitive Industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brighterion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience at Brighterion has always been very positive. The work is challenging and interesting and the client base keeps growing. A long-term client recently told us that we continue to exceed their highest expectations in performance and reliability - now THATS a team you want to be a part of!

We work as a team and everyone is expected to pull their weight. The CEO, a former professor with a PhD in A.I., is humble in his accomplishments, has an open door policy and always attributes the company's success to the team.

I was perplexed when I heard of a former employee who was not happy here. It could be that some people are in over their head with highly sophisticated technology. However the Bay Area has plenty of companies looking for talent at every level so hopefully they found a better situation.

From my experience, the best talent can be found at Brighterion and I am proud to be part of their team!

Cons

There are no issues that rub me the wrong way.

Advice to Management

You obviously know what your doing so just keep working your magic.

"DON'T DO IT!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion (More than a year)

Pros

Centrally Located?
    The other people (for the most part) that get tricked into working there are amazing.
    That's about it for Pros....

Cons

This company is real front for some shady things. They will start you out at a seriously low income, telling you and making you believe that this is what any other company will start you at "based on your experience". They will try to make you feel inferior to their SLOW, OUT DATED, BAD technology and processes. There is about a 98% chance you will be harassed in some way and never defended. Just don't do it.

"love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The team. Everyone I work with is on board with putting in their best efforts. The company hires well and it shows in the success of it's technology. Positive attitudes and team first environment trickles down from the top. Leadership makes sure everyone understands their value in the company's success.

Cons

I have no negative sentiments to share at this time. If that changes, I will update my review however I tend to deal with these types of things internally as that is typically the best way to promote positive change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open door policy of soliciting feedback from employees and taking their advice to heart. It has proven to be very effective in boosting and maintaining a high level of company-wide morale.

"False success and can not execute"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have 4 customers, one being their marquee customer who they acquired out of desperation when the company ran out of all their money and had to give the software away. That customer, then built a solution that it resells to their own customers, yet Brighterion claims all those customers are theirs, when in fact, Brighteiron doesn't own the contract nor the relationship with those customers. The customers they claim to be theirs are a lie. The only pro is that single marquee customer, but the lies around that customer, are all a con. Don't believe them when they tell you they have 100's of customers. They don't belong to Brighterion.

Cons

I worked here in 2015. It's all a con. I know the difference between bad, marginal/average and good. This company is poorly run and the CEO thinks it's worth more than IBM. He talks negatively about all ideas each employee has and shoots people down. He makes racist and sexual remarks regularly.

Advice to Management

There isn't any management there. Just one CEO who micromanages & controls the whole office. Hire qualified, tech experienced people, not kids from France who needed a visa to get to the US for work and who had never had a corporate job before.

"a good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brighterion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here for over a year now and am very happy. The work is good, the people are nice, there is an emphasis on office community, and there are nice perks (monthly socials, catered lunches, a super convenient gym membership, et c.). The employees tend to be on the younger side which I think is in-line with Brighterion's practice of hiring less seasoned employees in the hopes of developing them professionally. To this end, the workload is reasonable and mostly stress-free. It's been very rare that I've needed to stay late, but it's not uncommon for employees to work into the evenings for their own reasons (avoiding BART crowds, coming in a little late, enjoying what they're working on). It's one of the best places I've ever worked (I've been professionally writing software for about 7 years).

Cons

I have nothing of substance to complain about.

It's worth mentioning that Brighterion isn't for everyone though. Here are just style and culture notes that might surprise developers who are more accustomed to the fast and loose development practices that many startups allow. Brighterion mostly feels like working at a mature startup, but sometimes it feels like working for a much larger company. If high visibility into the project plan or needing lots of context for working on a component is part of a person's work style then this might not be the place for them. Specialization/Siloing is a normal part of development and most components are accessed through interfaces without ever having access to their code (it's worth mentioning that there is documentation available for everything). The lock-downs in place for PCI compliance are strange at first but turn out not to limit productivity. Very few 3rd party libraries are used or needed.

Advice to Management

I think you're doing a great job.
    If I had suggestions I'd bring them up in person.

"It's all lies!"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brighterion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not any pros to write about. Excessive micromanagement by CEO. Discrimination, ageism, sexism, racism, and does not follow laws.

Cons

You will be lied to in the interview, painted a picture that this place is the greatest. It's the worst.
    No HR, you have to ask for everything. Like your stock options and raises/reviews.

Advice to Management

Stop writing fake reviews and address the real problems. Catch up with the industry or your company will continue to stay stagnant as it has for the last decade.

"Very bad pay"

Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brighterion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

workers are pretty cool and nice

Cons

CEO has no concept of reality, completely underpays staff and leaves you demoralized

Advice to Management

pay industry standard not 30% of industry standard