Brighton Collectibles Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 25, 2019

3.3
Jerry Kohl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company great discount owner believes in his people" (in 26 reviews)

• "Wonderful, positive work environment" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Asked to be somewhat aggressive with outbound phone calls" (in 13 reviews)

• "Upper management seems to encourage this" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Best Retail Job"

Current Employee - Sales Partner in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Partner in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses, opportunities to advance, and fun people to work with

Cons

hourly pay is not as high as competitors

"A diamond in the rough!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

This is exactly what companies should run like. Everyone is respectful of your opinions they are kind people, the company was built in LA, adopts processes that work and are useful, room for creativity and room to grow. Companies like these are so hard to find. I am so glad I found Brighton. I will retire here for sure

Cons

I have nothing to mention here.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is great from Corporate to the Products

Cons

Pay not so good for part time partners, but they do receive other rewards.. Portions of store bonus, employee discounts, great training.

"No upward mobility"

Pros

Discount, quality product, product education, family owned

Cons

No upward mobility. Long tenure of managements and no relocation leaves you stuck.

Advice to Management

Allow relocation for people who want to advance.

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time

Pros

Great place, friendly people! I enjoyed my time here, plus great benefits!

Cons

The commute was hard for me. I didn't have any problems otherwise.

6. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Christiana, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Christiana, DE

I worked at Brighton Collectibles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on jewelry
    A few nice coworkers
    Worked with my schedule at first

Cons

Company has no diversity training
    No standards in place for associates reviews
    No follow up from corporate hr
    Favoritism to friends
    Racial remarks about customers of all ethnicities

Advice to Management

Invest in human resource training- especially diversity training. Hire managers that have worked outside of the mall- perhaps in other industries with management experience.

"My Employment Experience"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Grove, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lake Grove, NY

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros of employment with Brighton Collectibles:
    - Debt free company.
    - Family owned.
    - Frequent business trips to California.
    - Sales contests, to win trips.

Cons

Cons of employment with Brighton Collectibles:
    - ZERO work life balance.
    - Recognition was not existinet, consistently and when deserved.
    - Human Resources was not trustworthy.
    - Salary was not appropriate for expectations of a hard working Store Managing Partner.

Advice to Management

The advice I could give to anyone looking to pursue a career with Brighton Collectibles Store Management is RUN! Coming from a hard-working, dedicated, confident individual, this company takes advantage. I began my short lived career with Brighton as a Store Manager, with zero training for success as the Store was desperate to hire, due to high turnover.
    I worked hard, and diligent and went above and beyond expectations- it goes unappreciated and unnoticed. There is absolutely no work life balance, as a Store Manager- you are expected to attend conference calls on your days off, UNPAID! You are expected to recruit talent on your own time, UNPAID. You are not compensated for any overtime as a Store Manager as you are a salaried executive. The expectations for a Store Manager that are not specified on their website are unrealistic and extremely unreasonable. The overall retail industry is being taken over by online shopping- if Brighton wants to make their stores more successful, they need to promote their business better and not leave it all to the Store Manager to produce revenue through their constant phone calls, emails and postcards sent out to their customers in which information has been captured in their database.
    When Brighton shares that their main company objective is to build customer relationships, that is FALSE. The relationships between customers and the Store Manager was insignificant to upper Management- it didn’t matter- if the sales weren’t at a specific dollar amount, then it wasn’t worth the share!
    Furthermore, if you are an individual who wants to pursue a career in an environment where you’re unappreciated, taken advantage of, works for free, has to deal with frequent restroom sueage backups where your store has fece flies all around, has to work on their days off, tolerate insubordinate behavior from your peers that is accepted by upper management, and find a way to get to your store during a hurricane because it is raining inside of your store then this is the place for you!
    I have met many wonderful individuals throughout my year at Brighton and have made some lasting friendships from customers and some employees.
    However, this was a true blessing in disguise for me to no longer be employed with this company.

"Best company and Worst Conpany to work for."

Former Employee - Store Managing Partner
    Former Employee - Store Managing Partner

I worked at Brighton Collectibles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive. Match 401k. Ability to win trips during a contest period. Great relationships you make with co workers and customers.

Cons

We are paid weekly. Recently payroll had several glitches where they had to reverse paychecks and take taxes out twice to correct their mistake. 401k can not be fully taken out until you are vested for the company for 5 years. If you win a contest be prepared to use your own personal time and buy for the cost of ride share to and from airport. The company claims they are family based. They do not offer any bereavement time to be with family. Clocking in/clocking out is still done on paper. Managers calculate the time, so you hope they add up your time correctly. It does not matter how long you have worked for Brighton. You are dispensable to them. You could work with the company 3-16 years and you are told, “sorry, Brighton is a performance based company. Which means you better make your sales goal for the month/year. Or else you will be ousted from the company. Upper management will not stick up for you, once you are in the “hot seat” you are on your own. Store Managers go to camp which is in California once a year. It is very fast paced. You can not even go to the bathroom for a potty break. If you do, it is frowned upon and someone in upper management will go look for you. And stress the importance to hurry and return back to the camp session. During camp you are not offered a stretch break, you will be sitting in a chair for 3 hours plus and no one will offer a chance to get up and move around. It is challenging to keep up with a week at Brighton. Visuals, making calls with a purpose to 100+ to customers, maintaining Store Operations and selling to the people walking into the store is impossible. At times the company does not offer any additional hours to complete these projects.

Advice to Management

All District managers should follow Company policies. Some district managers will do anything necessary to make their numbers, if that means to jeopardize company policy. Upper Management should stay true to policy, procedures and company morals.

9. "It was okay"

I worked at Brighton Collectibles part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to sell to old ladies

Cons

It was pretty boring and the pay was not really worth it

"Perspective of a part time partner"

Current Employee - Partner
    Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at Brighton Collectibles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly. Free jewelry set. 50% discount. A generally pleasurable clientele. Monthly bonus check if we make the month. Quality of the bags and shoes is nice. Easy to request off if you give notice.

Cons

Very long interview process that took a few weeks. Never seen anything that excessive for a part time job paying so low. We do so much charity yet they pay their employees very poorly. The jewelry is losing quality and it’s becoming too expensive. Quarter of the shoppers are bringing repairs and complaining about it turning/peeling. We lose sales filling out the repair paperwork or calling for pickup. We’re told to send in everything and people are now too comfortable bringing in old tarnished jewelry. It’s tiring. Constant visual changes and calling shoppers for events. The handbags are really creeping up in price ($400+). The CEO won’t spend on advertising so you really have to be on your game to sell b/c they lack the status of other brands. Managers have daily store goal yet compete with us for sales like we aren’t working for them. You have to stay right next to customer or they’ll steal the sale. I’d understand the handbag competition if we made commission, but we don’t! You may get a bonus but not always.