Brightwater Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Brightwater Chief Executive Officer David Bloch
David Bloch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This they have done, and hard work is certainly noted and rewarded (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to work, real nice atmosphere (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours at times, but what company doesn't these days, and its the nature of the game (in 7 reviews)

• Micro-management, lack of honesty to clients and candidates (in 4 reviews)

"Excellent"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management
    Set you up for success
    Great commission structure
    Really nice teams and people

Cons

no complaints
    I don`t have any cons
    Positive experience

"I love coming into work again."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at 2 recruitment company's before, and I feel like I did when I started in recruitment. I love my work! I had heard great things about Brightwater, but then read some comments from ex employees that gave me pause. What I can honestly say is that this is a fantastic company. People are fantastic. Hard working, professional, open, friendly and respectful. I have never worked in such an encouraging and positive environment. I cannot ever imagine leaving, unless it were to set-up myself. Most of my jobs come in, or when you ring around it is so different calling from Brightwater than my last companies. I love coming into work again and I'm delighted.

Cons

I really don't have any cons for you. Some comments say they are long hours, but I have no problem at all. Working at Brightwater until 6, is a lot shorter day than working at my old company until 5.30!

Advice to Management

Not my place to say really, it just seems a great company so they must be doing it right and I want to learn from them how to do it right.

"Loved my time at Brightwater."

Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am normally not one to write reviews but I am really confused by the negative comments written on this site about Brightwater. It seems like some sort of campaign to make the company look bad and I really don't understand why. My time there was one of the happiest working experiences I have had thus far in my career and would recommend them to everyone. I moved on for personal reasons only and would still be there today if circumstances allowed. If you want to just sit around and do the least amount of work possible then yes, maybe you should look elsewhere. But if you want to learn, make good friends, be recognised for your hard work, be supported by management and really succeed then this is the company for you. David, Barbara and team are great. Go work there if you can!!

Cons

Really can't think of any. I worked long hours but that is more because of my work ethic rather than them expecting any sort of ridiculously long day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jul 20, 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Thank you very much for kindly taking the time to write this positive review. As you may know, all the management at Brightwater believe that happy employees are usually successful employees and... More

"Shocked at response from management"

I worked at Brightwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great commission structure and benefits.

Cons

Micro-management, lack of honesty to clients and candidates. Not receptive to ideas or change

Advice to Management

I had to comment reading some of the responses from management to negative reviews. Bully boy tactics and threats to reviewers are very disappointing and really show the worst of BW to potential employees. Shocking.

Jul 20, 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Hello "anonymous", Again I feel I must apologise to you for your unhappy experience at Brightwater. I am so sorry that you had such an unpleasant time with us and that your opinion of the company... More

"I guess I'm not Brightwater material!"

I worked at Brightwater full-time

Pros

Some nice people but most likely they have all left by now.

Cons

Many horrible people, stuffy old building, freakish levels of micro managment. Crazy rates of staff turnover. Lots of fake smiles from staff for fear of being sacked for not being brightwater material. What is brightwater material? They want submissive 'yes' people. New ideas are frowned upon by managers, they are too insecure. Very old fashioned company, dress code was pulled from an edition of Good housewives guide. Avoid this company.

Advice to Management

No point as management dont listen.

Jul 20, 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Having read your interesting review, I feel that a response is merited. On behalf of all the management at Brightwater we are so sorry that you were not happy with us and that you felt you were not... More

"Brightwater"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I will preface this review by saying ABSOLUTELY NO ONE HAS ASKED ME TO WRITE IT. NO ONE. I am writing it of my own volition and in someway to respond to the toxic diatribe that was written most recently by an ex-colleague who, while at Brightwater spent far too much time self-promoting and less doing the actual job, who was duplicitous for most of their tenure and favoured spending time speaking ill of people behind their backs while smiling into their faces. I too have recently moved on from Brightwater, for personal reasons. It broke my heart to leave. There is an amazing group of people working here and an enormously supportive senior management team led from the top. The people are unique to the organisation and I am enormously proud that I was part of Brightwater for the many years that I was. I was disgusted to read the latest review that was posted here; it was nasty, unkind and untrue but not shocking, as the individual who wrote it would have the moral compass and integrity of a gnat. We all go through peaks and troughs in our careers but you cannot blame an organisation for your own inadequacies or misgivings. It's up to every individual to work their hardest and do their best. Despite market influences we still need to try to do our best. I have always been supported at Brightwater to do my best. The opportunities, the encouragement, the help required is there in abundance should anyone have the humility to ask. I have nothing but respect for David, Barbara, John and all the management team and I have nothing but respect for my former colleagues and quite clearly more than my ex colleague who wrote an atrocious account here. Brightwater people are a talented, tenacious, loyal and kind group of people. My legacy to them is to remember that and be grateful for every moment I spent there with due respect and regard.

Cons

The hours are too long, in my opinion. I cannot really say anything else.

Advice to Management

I do believe that Management will continue to do their utmost for those that are committed to working at Brightwater, for the people that want to be there, work hard and develop in their careers.

"3/10 Experience"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Commission structure is competitive and they are paid before client pays (strong accounts
      department) which is not industry standard
    - IT dept are very helpful and systems are strong. Database is a bit of a mess but no different to
      most recruitment companies
    - Nice central city center location with decent amenities close by
    - Met some decent people there who I would still consider friends, even after I left who still work
      there

Cons

- Leadership is more dictatorial than anything I have witnessed before. Using terminology like
      "they just weren't Brightwater" for people who didn't work out. High levels of snobbery and
      arrogant attitudes prevalent throughout the organisation
    - Very slow to recognize talent they have at their disposal and very poor retention. There have
      been individuals who are there who you could consider 'lifers' but that is no reflection on the
      company culture but more on those and their lack of ambition
    - Treatment of long standing members of staff who moved on are considered to be failures. Very
      poor treatment of employees who left of their own accord
    - Recruitment wise, for a business who is rehiring staff they fired before, goes to show their
      struggle to attract strong local talent (see review below from staff member who rejoined, after
      spending 4 years at four different agencies and wound back at BW)

Advice to Management

Honestly I think nothing will change and turnover will continue. Attitude needs to be addressed from the top down, with a couple of exceptions.

"Brightwater"

I worked at Brightwater full-time

Pros

My experience at Brightwater was really enjoyable, I had great Directors who were approachable and nice people who wanted me and all other consultants to do well, I was not micro managed and was treated like an adult. I see some reviews on here and I never experienced or saw what some negative reviews say

Cons

Long hours at times, but what company doesn't these days, and its the nature of the game. I really cant think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, with the directors that are there I hope that its success continues and other people get to have the same experience I had

"Professional, supportive, upbeat, energetic working enviornment"

I have been working at Brightwater full-time

Pros

I joined Brightwater as I was looking to be part of a company that would develop me professionally, appreciate my successes and efforts and be supportive and encouraging at all times. This they have done, and hard work is certainly noted and rewarded. The management takes a strong interest in all staff, and actually cares about them as people, doing their best to ensure success and job satisfaction. I am hard-working and highly motivated, and appreciate being surrounded by like-minded people in such a positive environment. Having worked in other companies, I have not experienced such an upbeat and inclusive environment before. The biggest plus is to feel good as a valued part of a successful, professional company that is constantly seeking to do better.

Cons

Hard work and a high level of motivation is expected - there is no room for sitting back - but this is not a negative for me.

Advice to Management

None. Please continue doing what you are doing.

"Lies, bullying and deception"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Brightwater full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly, there is a recognised brand and a client base.

Cons

I am a former top biller in this company - and normally wouldn't bother with this sort of review. But I feel the fake reviews written on this by its current staff are misleading for people joining BW. I spent several years here; ok commission structure but pay the worst base salaries in town (plus no pension, healthcare - nothing). The CEO is an ego maniac who 'leads' by bullying and tells staff what to do in a condescending, rude manner and constantly makes you feel as if you could be fired any minute. No good people managers in this company.

One review on this site below from Feb 2017 which outlines an employee that 'left' in 2013 and eventually came back this year - was in fact, fired by one of the directors she thanks at the end! A farce that they would take her back and an even bigger farce that a bizarre review like that is posted on a forum like this.

Negative, back-stabbing, horrible culture. If you like being micro-managed like a child, being told what times to use the toilets, being told when you can look at your mobile phone on your desk, being given out to for not wearing your suit jacket when you get up from your desk, being given out to in a meeting room for taking 4 minutes over your lunch....JOIN BRIGHTWATER!!

Advice to Management

Allow the company to be acquired by a reputable plc recruitment group - let them clear out the toxins and perhaps there will be hope for this backward, stale organisation.

Mar 29, 2017 – Deputy Managing Director

Dear Anonymous, Well, I suspect I do know your real name, but apologise if I’m incorrect as your slanderous review has angered me somewhat and my response may not be entirely “measured”. You are... More