Brightwave (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 3, 2018

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Going in the right direction - I enjoyed my time there!"

I worked at Brightwave (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting clients, good location.

Cons

Could be stressful at times but that’s normal for any agency. Some people don’t pull their weight but “part of the furniture” so they’ll never leave.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people and keep hold of the good ones that already exist!

2. "Great people taken for granted"

I worked at Brightwave (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing bunch of people, central location

Cons

Good people pushed out due to new CEO taking over/not being appreciated/being paid an appalling wage.

Use and abuse culture

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people you have before they all leave.

3. "Great place to work on the whole"

I have been working at Brightwave (UK) (More than a year)

Pros

Great people/social life, interesting clients, genuinely growing and moving in the right direction.

Cons

Can be high pressure with the workforce spread thin at times but this is to be expected due to ambitious growth plans.

Advice to Management

Hire people at the right times to avoid the pinch when new work is won and review salaries more regularly to keep hold of good staff

4. "Poor management lets down great teams"

Pros

There are no pros to this company

Cons

Great workers are left in wrong roles and ignored until they leave, while "managers" do nothing and pretend everything is ok.

Advice to Management

Change your management team and listen to your teams

5. "Use and abuse"

I worked at Brightwave (UK) full-time

Pros

Cool Office
    Some great people

Cons

CEO is a control freak, and is poor at making decisions
    Some staff are treated like messiahs, the rest like idiots in a sausage factory

Advice to Management

Become more commercial

"Should be good... Isn't."

Pros

Cool office, nice view, great tea/coffee selection.

Cons

My training consisted of a half hour, frantic speed through of some company documents after which I was left to fend for myself for a few months. On the outside, Brightwave looks like a fun exciting workplace but for the most part, it was an office full of people sitting in silence, desperately trying to pad out time sheets to keep management happy.

You're flung from project to project and rarely spend more than 10 minutes working on something before having to change track. (Making the aforementioned time-sheeting difficult) If I were a client I'd be deeply concerned about just how little attention is actually being paid to their project. You're copied into seemingly every e-mail being sent around the office and no-one seems to want to take responsibility for anything.

The lack of training was a huge barrier as I had to try and learn literally everything on the go as and when things came up, this was frustrating as I knew my timesheet was being studied very closely by the looming eyes of senior management. Unfortunately there was not a "training myself on, a, b, c" section available in my timesheet.

I was really excited to start work at Brightwave and am still very disappointed at how it all panned out. This should be an amazing company and probably could be, but as it stands - my advice would be to avoid.

I would add that there are some truly talented people working at Brightwave, especially on the programming/development side of things and this as far as I can see is the saving grace of the company. It's sad to see such talent being restrained by the weight of too many projects.

Advice to Management

You seriously need to review your induction training (or lack thereof) You need to look at the way you monitor performance. People filling their timesheets doesn't automatically equate to quality time well spent nor a quality product for the client.

There seems to be a lot of middle men; PMs etc and then a few talented people who don't have the time or information to work to the best of their ability. People spend a lot of time trying to decipher briefs or instructions sent by others who didn't understand what they were sending in the first place.

"What should be a great company is sinking"

Pros

The people and atmosphere are amazing- such a great bunch of people to work with. There is also an excellent selection of tea.

Cons

The CEO runs a dictatorship. There is no transparency of information, strategy or plan. No one is trusted to do their work and everyone is highly micro managed. There is no freedom to share ideas or voice opinions. Brightwave has the outward appearance of being fun and innovative, the reality is far more bleak.

Advice to Management

Cracks are starting to show in what should be a great company. People are tired and under appreciated.

"Great creativiety, bad management"

I worked at Brightwave (UK) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very creative teams and learning designers and project teams are some of the best in Brighton. Good location next to the station.

Cons

CEO is cut throat in attitude to both employees and client relationships alike. No information shared with teams and a high degree of scrutiny and pressure. Result is talent is not used or appreciated. HIgh staff turn over, lots of staff let go in the past 3 years.