Brilliant Earth Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Brilliant Earth Co-founders Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg
Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great opportunity to have an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Many opportunities to make a difference in a company where you can still have an impact versus being just another number.

Management welcomes and listens to differing ideas and opinions.

Company mission of working to change the jewelry industry/conscious capitalism.

Fun, friendly, fast paced environment with a solid team of top talent that works well together.

Cons

The company is growing quickly so the ability to be flexible and adapt on the fly is a must.

"Great place to work"

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great and fun to work with. My manager was really helpful and seemed to really care about my success at the company as well as once I decided to move on. Salary increases were substantial. Many of the managers were hired in at junior levels and were promoted to management. Company has a social mission.

Cons

I worked in customer experience which means you can't take vacation on Black Friday or before Christmas. But they are very clear about this requirement before you take the job

Advice to Management

You are growing fast but make sure you keep the vibe that has made the team successful

"Good company with a solid mission"

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Co-workers are very nice, good benefits, good hours, always a lot of work to do since the company is constantly growing.

Cons

Pay is ok for those who are just getting into the workforce. High turn over due to sub-par wages.

"A growing company with nothing but opportunities"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing mission. We're all really committed to transforming the jewelry industry and that fuels us every day.
    - The people. What an awesome group of smart, funny, creative, hard-working people. I feel lucky every day coming to work alongside such a great team.
    - The opportunities. We have quarterly professional development check-ins. Our managers seem really invested in our success and take pride in seeing us and their individual teams grow. I started in an entry-level role and got promoted after a bit over a year. I already know what to accomplish to get to the next level!
    - Fun team events several times a quarter.

Cons

- It is fast-paced. Like seriously fast-paced. You need to be able to handle a high volume of emails from day one and figure out the best system for yourself to be able to manage your leads effectively. We are growing at a really rapid pace - that's a good thing, guys.
    - Working weekends can be tough, but it's only for about a year. It was worth it to make the sacrifice for the recognition I received and the opportunities I have for growth.
    - Culture is very important to this company, and if you're someone who is used to doing the bare minimum and is always at the center of gossip, you aren't going to be successful here. Some of these other reviewers can attest to that.

Advice to Management

I appreciate your hard work! Keep listening to the team and your customers.

"Incredible Journey of Professional Growth and Development"

Current Employee - Senior Jewelry Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Jewelry Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had tremendous opportunities to grow and advance in my career with Brilliant Earth. My voice is heard and my suggestions and ideas for improvements are considered and implemented, when appropriate. The people that work at Brilliant Earth are the smartest, most engaged group of people I have ever worked with. The individuals that want to grow and thrive within the company understand what hard work looks like and are not afraid to go for it. Working at a mission based company and being involved in those efforts is extra rewarding. There is a great sense of pride in the mission, the product we sell and in the extraordinary customer experience. I hope I can spend the rest of my career at Brilliant Earth!

Cons

If you want to grow with Brilliant Earth, you should be prepared to do your best work, every day. There is no place for lazy or complacent. You get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

Continue to consistently look for ways to be innovative and efficient. Promoting from within and collaborating between teams should continue to be at the forefront. Continue providing excellent experiences!

6. "Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate

I have been working at Brilliant Earth (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any. I don't recommend working for them

Cons

Terrible work culture and ethics.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees.

"You are Replaceable/Horrible Place to Work"

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- your coworkers are like family
    - you are surviving long hours and insane workloads with your coworkers, and there becomes a sense of shared suffering that bonds you together
    - cool view of downtown from your office, depending on the office you work at
    - you get to look at sparkly diamonds

Cons

Oh boy. 5 word minimum, Glassdoor? No problem:
    - Say goodbye to seeing your family on the holidays: no vacation allowed in November or December. Zilch. Nada.
    - You work Christmas Eve.
    - You may have to work as a receptionist sometimes, and your job will feel like a glorified receptionist position.
    - You work all soft holidays like 4th of July. Then they give you another day off to take in exchange, but they pressure you to use it on certain days that work for management OR they just sneakily apply it to whatever vacation you take next (i.e. you don't actually get an extra day off to use).
    - BE has expanded offices/showrooms too quickly, without taking the time to grow each individual office successfully. There has been incredibly high turnover in sales. Whenever someone quits, it puts immense pressure on the remaining few who now are taxed with longer hours and more stress.
    - The phone lines don't stop ringing, and it'll be hard to accomplish your other duties. Expect to have to take your laptop home to finish everything, but then also you will get chastised for doing so.
    - There is a culture of not taking lunch, working through your lunch, or being pressured to give up your lunch if a walk-in client comes in. Extra kudos to the person who does give up their lunch to take them, but that's really not something to reward now is it?
    - Expect to work overtime (but you will not get paid overtime).
    - You'll work weekends if you are in sales. Doesn't seem *too* bad at first, but it'll get old when your partner and/or friends all work Monday-Friday 9/5 jobs.
    - Sales incentives range from rubber ducks to fluffy pens (they treat you like children).
    - They hire young people that are all fresh out of college. In other words, they can take advantage of you. None of what happens at BE would fly at other companies with a more diverse work pool.
    - If you voice any concerns, you will be branded as a problem or complaining.
    - HR and upper management is gossipy. You'll hear your managers talking poorly about other people right in front of you.
    - Sales targets are not adjusted based on what people are actually hitting. Barely any people make their quarterly bonus (which is pennies once taxes are applied).
    - Terrible growth opportunities. Expect to be stuck in the same position. You may get more duties added on, but it'll just take away from your chances at hitting your precious bonus.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on the quality, livelihood, growth and happiness of the showrooms you have, instead of rapidly expanding to the point of combustion.
    2. Listen to your employees, especially those that are leaving.
    3. Start valuing your employees as much as you value your customers. The happiness of your employees matters.
    4. For Pete's sake give your employees Christmas Eve off. Even our customers are shocked when we answer the phone.
    5. Reevaluate your zero vacation policy from Nov-December. A lot of your employees cannot travel home to see family. This is not sustainable if you want to keep people.
    6. Figure out if you want to focus on being a store or a big brand in e-commerce. There is a tug-of-war in the sales department. We spend hours in the showroom with in-person clients, but then are also expected to tend and nurture hundreds of present/incoming leads from the e-commerce platform. If you spend your day away from your desk in the showroom, you just simply can't get all your e-commerce work done unless you clone yourself. Perhaps have offices that focus on e-commerce or others that are just a showroom.
    7. Higher pay. Look at the cost of living by each showroom, and realize that the salary is at the poverty level. There are people Lyft-ing on the side to make enough money.
    IN SUM: The insane hours + small salary + laughable perks + no vacation over the holidays + stress of dealing with emotional/mad customers ALL day is tough. Listening to us instead of writing fake Glassdoor reviews will be a start. Good luck.

"Long hours, Unrealistic expectations, inefficient management"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate

I worked at Brilliant Earth (More than a year)

Pros

- most of the coworkers are truly good and hard-working people -- granted that we all bonded through our shared experiences
    - ecommerce experience
    - monthly conferences where CEO's talk and involve everyone in company performances
    - you learn a lot of skills especially with organization and time management due to workload
    - there is room for growth within the company (not worth it, see below for explanation) if you're willing to do so
    - working towards a good cause
    - happy hours and quarterly outings
    - free snacks and food

Cons

DAY TO DAY
    - the workload is insane -- up to the point that there's a culture of people not taking their lunches whatsoever so they can keep up. In fact, most people take their laptops home so they can finish their work because management will give you a hard time if you don't manage to do it all in one day
    - The hours are from 10-7pm usually but it's somehow frowned upon to actually leave at 7PM
    - I promise you that people aren’t paid enough with the amount of work that you do. However, they make it seem okay because they also hire other people who are amazing to work with. That can only go so long because their turnover rate is so high because people get drained after a few months
    - training is subpar; it seems extensive but for weeks, you still discover holes in the training. The only time we realize it is if we did something wrong and it has already escalated due to an angry customer

CORPORATE/MANAGEMENT
    - Aside from the compensation, it’s really fun and amazing until you raise actual concerns. Despite what they preach, they (especially HR) don’t like people who ask too many questions or raise legitimate concerns or they will brand you as a problem rather than actually deal with the issue.
    - they insisted we post fake reviews on Google and other platforms to increase ratings
    - there are rampant breaches in sales etiquette, there’s a few people from different offices who will just flip leads or sales to themselves with either no notice or basis
    - management does not do anything to stop these sales etiquette breaches. They just shrug it off and tell you to deal with it amongst ourselves.
    - Corporate and some members of the HR team create disputes within the offices and exude a very clique-y, immature high school vibe.
    - Managers will do very little to support you. If you ask them for help, they actually won’t have any piece of good advice for you aside from the obvious "Get more leads!!".
    - They’re also huge on negative reinforcement

EXPECTATIONS
    - only a few people truly make the goal and even if you make your goal, the incentives are less than appealing (rubberducks, feather, pens, etc). If you’re lucky and make twice your sales goal, you get a nice plaque?
    - There are opportunities for growth but they will keep giving you more responsibilities with no additional compensation. They will also change performance expectations out of whim without any warning – therefore, derailing your chance for advancement

Advice to Management

- You have a great and amazing team filled with smart and hardworking people who actually believe in your cause. I implore the CEO's to look into the top-level sales and HR employees because they are the root of most of the concerns and problems.
    - people are afraid to speak out in fear of retaliation so they just leave
    - restructure your KPI's to reasonable levels instead of comparing everyone with your handful of top performers
    - In general, have reasonable expectations because there is no reason why people should be working an average of 50 hours for the amount of compensation and level of respect

"Fast paced/flexible environment"

Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a new hire at Brilliant Earth, you will be working in your listed duties right from the start. Brilliant Earth offers many opportunities for advancement and on the job learning. Everyone at Brilliant Earth is engaged with their work and extremely hard working.

Cons

Some days require longer hours. This should be expected in a retail environment. Your work is very visible, and the long hours are worth it.

"High growth environment with fantastic opportunities for development"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Given the company's growth, there are many opportunities to try and learn new things. The company is very open to allowing employees to take on new challenges, even when they do not have a specific background in that area, but have demonstrated solid problem solving, team management or other relevant skills. The team is incredibly dedicated and thoughtful and continually seeks ways to improve process or do things more efficiently. It's a great learning opportunity to see a business grow through the process of scaling and understand all that entails. It is also really fun to work with such beautiful products and to hear the touching stories of our customer engagements - to be a part of such an important in their lives is really special. I also love the way the company authentically works to make a difference in the world and the jewelry industry - the desire to make a positive impact is embraced by the team and is a great motivator.

Cons

This is not the place for people that want a very defined structure with the same tasks every day, that want to follow a previously defined process, or that are not comfortable identifying and vocalizing opportunities for improvement on a regular basis. The company moves at a fast pace, so you have to enjoy that type of environment for it to be a good fit.