Brilliant Earth Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Brilliant Earth Co-founders Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg
Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have had a great experience at Brilliant Earth" (in 19 reviews)

• "Everyone at Brilliant Earth is engaged with their work and extremely hard working" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Brilliant Earth boasts about a team enviornment and culture" (in 8 reviews)

• "It is not a con but this company is fast paced and not for everyone" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to Make a Difference & Grow Professionally"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency is important within all aspects of the organization - from interaction with customers, to product sourcing, to keeping employees informed. It is great to work for a mission-focused people who are passionate about changing an industry.

Work/life balance is encouraged from the top down, with CEOs mentioning in our welcome breakfast the strategies they use to maintain this balance. The culture is open, vibrant, and fun. Highly collaborative and team oriented work environment. There are opportunities for growth and taking on new challenges each day as the company grows quickly. As a young professional, I've been challenged to step up to the plate and trusted with high-level responsibilities. I've had opportunity to grow as a young professional, within my role and move up within my team.

Cons

Fast-paced and exciting work environment - I enjoy it but can be challenging.

2. "Great Place to Grow"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

You really feel like you're contributing to the growth of the company here. There isn't "busy work" what you're assigned to do is something that will help move yourself, others, and the business forward. My favorite part has been the support systems that are in place here, everyone has one-on-one check ins with their direct supervisor every week to ask questions, ask for feedback, and just learn how to best do your job. I think the mission-minded culture here is also pretty great.

Cons

This is a general con you'll find with every new position at a new company: there's a lot of information coming at you in the first week. But the training is pretty extensive and as I mentioned before, the support systems they have make it manageable as time goes on. I'd say give things 2-3 weeks and you'll feel comfortable with what you're doing.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employee feedback and continue maintaining such a great company culture.

"I couldn't have asked for a better company!"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was looking to switch jobs I did a lot of research. I was making an entire career switch and I wanted to make the right choice. Brilliant Earth has exceeded those expectations. I am so happy that I found a company that I can honestly BRAG about. Why I love BE?
    - Management is great. My manager actually cares and takes the time to meet with me weekly. I never feel my questions are left unanswered and I never feel unsupported. We talk about my professional development frequently and she is an incredible mentor.
    - The culture is fun! The HR team plans events in office, out of office, and volunteer focused. I love getting to know my coworkers during these occasions.
    - They are team- oriented. No matter if you started 3 months ago or 3 years ago everyone is willing to help and wants to see each other succeed.
    - My ideas matter. Because it is a growing company I have the opportunity to bring fresh, new ideas to the table and actually be heard.

Cons

The environment is fast and high volume. There is always a lot going on and you are expected to own your role. But hey, remember that culture and team based environment I mentioned earlier? There is always someone there to lend a helping hand and help you succeed.

Advice to Management

Nothing- thank you for caring.

4. "Great Culture and Values"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a great experience at Brilliant Earth. I've been able to continually take on more responsibility, and see the company grow tremendously. Some pros:
    - Open workspace - super easy to collaborate with your team. Especially in sales, this drives a team-based environment and feels very supportive
    - Trust and empowerment - your manager helps guide your growth path and gives you trust to take on new challenges. I have weekly check-ins with my manager and we go over our goals for my growth, and my path to get there
    - Work hard play hard - In any growing company there are times where we have to put our heads down and GO. I don't mind it because my team and manager are right there with me for support. After, there is always a happy hour or offsite event. Management really seems to notice the effort and rewards it.
    - Mission connection - It is important to me to work for a mission focused company. There are frequent "lunch and learns" where the Head of Sourcing tells everyone in the company about our efforts and impact. We also have monthly staff meetings where the CEOs give industry and mission updates. I have never felt so connected to the broad goals of the a company or nonprofit as I do here.

Cons

Like I said, its work hard play hard. You have to be willing to work - but you will feel rewarded by the close-knit team around you, and hearing about how successful our initiatives are to better the lives of others.

Advice to Management

Continue to be responsive! We have so many avenues available to give feedback to management, and we really appreciate how open you are.

5. "Great for career development"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Managers are focused on career development and growth for employees who are interested, successful, and willing to put in the time and effort. The company does a great job hiring the right people - the environment can be very fast paced, but everyone is friendly and team-oriented.

Cons

Need to like working in a very fast placed environment.

"Millennials Beware"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance, salaried, vacation days

Cons

***This is an accurate description of how the work environment is at Brilliant Earth, the one and two star reviews on here are also accurate***
    Brilliant Earth boasts about a team enviornment and culture. They will dangle a starting salary in front of you that seems great. As soon as you are through with your training that takes too long and is not helpful, you become a numerical selling machine. Beware that everything you are told in the interview process is a lie. You will work at least 10 hours a day, just to keep your head above water (you will not be paid overtime as you are salaried and this company exploits that). You will also receive countless emails each day sent out to the entire sales team saying you are not working fast enough and that you need to be making more money; micromanaging at its best. Each week your manager will tell you that you are not working hard enough even if you hit your numbers and have positive feedback from customers. This should be the biggest red flag. Also, the company has an alarmingly high turnover rate, almost everyone in the company is gone before a year is up. This is because people are leaving because of the high stress environment that was said to be an amazing team environment. In reality it is a cut throat sales environment that is not adequately managed for success. Do NOT let the sparkle and dazzle of the interview process fool you, with in a month you will be realizing you made a huge mistake.

Advice to Management

Watching people leave after less than a year with genuine concerns is something you need to pay attention to. You need to treat your employees like people and not machines. You need to actually abide by your own pillars of culture.

"Just...not great"

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, the product is nice to look at. The office is in a central location

Cons

They just don't value their people. Huge turnover, they hire right out of college and expect you to leave after a year. Their actions seem to prioritize their sales team over every team, which is fine, but then they let their sales team treat other teams like gum on their shoes. CEO's act disengaged, they sit in meetings and say nothing or just whisper to whoever is of the highest rank. No upward mobility training. No career support (just pretend meetings once a quarter). Managers visibly unhappy. You're expected to work holidays and get told off if you ask for them off.

They only believe in single points of failure. So get ready to be the only expert they have, or the only person covering your customers.

For example, they say it's an open PTO policy but once you start getting up to 8 days you start having HR and manager meetings about "how you only have a couple days left". They seem to have done this only so they wouldn't have to pay for unused PTO (which again, fine. But don't pretend otherwise). And those 10 days include sick days too. Pretty sure that the CEOs meet with HR about how much time everyone takes off, which is just ridiculous.

Go work for a real company who values you. There's plenty out there.

Advice to Management

Time to look at yourselves instead of blaming it on "millennial culture".

"Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Brilliant Earth for nearly 5 years and thought it was a great place to work! I joined the marketing team as an associate when it was very small and got the opportunity to work in many areas of online marketing, eventually moving up to be a senior manager of advertising and email marketing. I felt like my manager, the CEOs, and other executives at the company cared about me and wanted to help develop my skills to ensure I found my work meaningful. If I ever ran into a problem, I knew I could always go to them for guidance. Helping grow and manage the marketing team while I was there was a very rewarding experience. The recruiting, onboarding, and training systems in place all work well and help ensure that new team members know what is expected of them so they can succeed in their roles. One of the things I enjoyed the most was the intelligent, kind, passionate people I worked with. Everyone really cares about the mission of the company, to transform the jewelry industry using ethical and sustainable practices that go above and beyond industry standards. It's also a fun place to work! The HR team and department managers plan lots of activities that allow you to connect with your coworkers, from team building outings to happy hours to volunteering initiatives. Overall I think it is an enjoyable place to work where you can really learn and grow!

Cons

None- I was planning to relocate which is why I left, but felt like there would have been good opportunities for me at Brilliant Earth if I would have stayed.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work you're doing in developing and growing the talented BE staff!

"Don't waste your time. Any place is better than here!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do a great job at recruiting an amazing team of people who share similar values and care about the company mission.

Cons

RED FLAG!! ALARMINGLY HIGH TURNOVER RATE!! If you want to leave everyday feeling like you lost, this is the place for you. They will try and entice you with the idea of a team sales environment. Don't be fooled. This is just like any other cutthroat sales job. It is almost impossible to hit a sales goal and no matter how efficiently you try and allocate/manage your time. It is never enough for them. There will be a weekly meeting with you and your manager to serve as a constant reminder that you aren't doing enough. There is little to no autonomy with the sales role, prepare to be micromanaged harder than you ever have before. Be mindful of the misleading job description, the sales role is more like a call center representative on slower appointment days. Their pillars of culture are catastrophically inaccurate representations of how the company culture actually operates. They genuinely don't care about anything except $$$. I personally witnessed managment filling out Yelp and Glassdoor reviews themselves so please do not believe everything you read!!

Advice to Management

Just listen!! Employees try to find more efficient ways to do things and are repeatedly shut out by management. That "this is just the way it is" & "its been working this way for years" attitude from upper management is why all of your sales team leaves so quickly!! Why waste all the time (6 months) training these amazing folks if you don't care to even listen to them once they are actually operating within the role? Ironically, refusal to embrace growth and change is why so many people keep leaving.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great and fun to work with. My manager was really helpful and seemed to really care about my success at the company as well as once I decided to move on. Salary increases were substantial. Many of the managers were hired in at junior levels and were promoted to management. Company has a social mission.

Cons

I worked in customer experience which means you can't take vacation on Black Friday or before Christmas. But they are very clear about this requirement before you take the job

Advice to Management

You are growing fast but make sure you keep the vibe that has made the team successful