Brilliant Earth Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Brilliant Earth Co-founders Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg
Beth Gerstein and Eric Grossberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"High growth environment with fantastic opportunities for development"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Given the company's growth, there are many opportunities to try and learn new things. The company is very open to allowing employees to take on new challenges, even when they do not have a specific background in that area, but have demonstrated solid problem solving, team management or other relevant skills. The team is incredibly dedicated and thoughtful and continually seeks ways to improve process or do things more efficiently. It's a great learning opportunity to see a business grow through the process of scaling and understand all that entails. It is also really fun to work with such beautiful products and to hear the touching stories of our customer engagements - to be a part of such an important in their lives is really special. I also love the way the company authentically works to make a difference in the world and the jewelry industry - the desire to make a positive impact is embraced by the team and is a great motivator.

Cons

This is not the place for people that want a very defined structure with the same tasks every day, that want to follow a previously defined process, or that are not comfortable identifying and vocalizing opportunities for improvement on a regular basis. The company moves at a fast pace, so you have to enjoy that type of environment for it to be a good fit.

"Great fast-paced, entrepreneurial company"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

You can really make a big impact at Brilliant Earth. The company excels at thinking creatively and getting things done. Good ideas are put into place quickly without unnecessary bureaucracy. Smart, driven and friendly team.

Cons

If you're looking for a place where you can settle into a day-to-day routine without being challenged to improve, then Brilliant Earth may not be the best fit.

"Probably the worst company I ever worked for."

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything. I gad very high hopes for this company but they were crushed after a few days.

Cons

Everything. They go not respect their employees at all, they actively discourage you from using your PTO days, and management spends their free time writing fake 5-star reviews here (I saw this myself).

Advice to Management

No advice, you already get advice that you ignore.

"Employees are replaceable mindset"

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

Sometimes you get a $5 stipend for snacks if you work on the weekends.

Cons

They do not care about their employees. If you have opinions keep them to yourself because management does not care to listen and you will be fired.

"A Fantastic Place to Work."

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time

Pros

I work on Operations team and love coming in every day. We have a great group of people that love working hard for each other. The environment is fun and light. We work hard, but always have a good time doing it.

Cons

The building containing the office is pretty old.

"Don't be Fooled by the Facade. Poor Company Culture, Management, and Work Environment."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Met a few amazing co-workers. Yes we bonded by our similar experiences working here. This is not a one off review, several people that have come and gone share similar views. See below...

Cons

I worked at Brilliant Earth for over a year and within that time, the facade wore off quickly.
    - First, they lure candidates by creating a job posting that sounds mission focused and that you will actually be helping people in under privileged countries... this is a lie. They post job posting on non-profit job sites, when they are obviously a for profit company. Their mission couldn't be any father from the truth. None of the work you do as an employee relates to any non-profit work. Its all about sales and the bottom line.
    - They squeeze as much out of you as they can as an employee. Hours are terrible. You work from 9 hour shifts and always expected to stay late, otherwise you get gleaming stares if you actually leave on time. And if you're on the customer service/sales side, you're definitely working weekends.
    - Management puts incredible pressure on you to complete a workload of what 2 people can handle. The expectations are unrealistic. If you ask for help, they basically scoff at you because help is viewed as incompetent.
    - Managers show favoritism and create cliques within the office. Poor cultural sensitivity. It's pretty much a "Mean Girls" atmosphere.
    - Managers are unsupportive and micro-manage while using negative reinforcement, thinking this will make employees work harder.
    - Most employees are burnt out from the high demands of this company. No surprise the turnover rate is so high. Any employees/managers that have stayed for over a few years are part of this core clique within the company. I've seen dozens of people hired and quit within weeks/a couple months of being there because they realize this company is not what it seems.
    - Managers have a bad habit of gossiping and making fun of customers.
    - CEO's are impersonal and don't really talk to employees except for a few management. They're locked inside of their office most days.
    - Compensation... a joke. You don't get paid nearly enough of what you should for the amount of work you are expected to complete. Especially living in San Francisco, you are not earning a living wage here.
    - Company culture... shady. See above points.
    - Overall this is a very hostile and uncomfortable working environment. I DO NOT recommend anyone to waste their time with this company. Notice how their last few positive reviews were made in a short period of time.. that's because they gave incentives to current employees to leave positive reviews. Another shady attempt by BE to cover up their ugliness.

Advice to Management

- Clearly understaffed and need to hire more people.
    - Improve company culture by properly training current management team on how to actually be good managers. Or remove them completely and replace with people who now how to lead, empower, and develop their employees instead of bringing them down.
    - Give credit to those who actually deserve it! There are plenty of employees who work their butts off for BE and receive no recognition.
    - Actually take the time to professionally develop your employees. Maybe then people will want to stay.
    - Re-vamp company culture by starting with HR. I know many people were afraid of reporting to HR because of fear of retaliation, or simply will not be listened to.

"Great Culture - Wonderful Team!"

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant Earth has a strong ethical mission that feeds into the company culture as well! Employees are supported and given guidance from day one. The training experience is thorough and managers are dedicated to their teams. Employees share a common goal, which is why this is a fast growing company. Your days are busy and exciting - but the company culture allows for growth and success! Highly Recommend this company for your future!

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep on believing in your teams - there is a great relationship that runs throughout the company in all departments and levels!

"Your Work Makes An Impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brilliant Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment that Brilliant Earth creates is one filled with extremely intelligent and hard working individuals. They are also some of the most friendly people you will probably ever work with. The company is rapidly growing but still maintains the feel of a smaller company where you can interact with coworkers at all levels. Even the CEOs make themselves available to everyone and are sociable. This is a place where you will do work that is truly impactful while constantly taking on new responsibilities. If you want to be a part of great mission while gaining a tremendous amount of experience, this is the place to be.

Cons

No cons to be noted

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people!

"You will never feel valued."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a very extensive training schedule, which is great for new employees, but it's almost too much information to handle in such a short period.

The co-workers are fantastic and always willing to help. It's a shame that they're wasting their time with a company that has no respect for them and their time.

There's a decent discount on jewelry.

Cons

I worked at Brilliant Earth for a while and during the interview process, was incredibly excited to be working with a company that has a great mission. I quickly found out that the mission means nothing and it's all about closing the sale, no matter the cost.

If you're a part of a customer-facing role, be prepared for a very sketchy schedule. Your weekends could be Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. You only get 15 days of PTO a year and there's a black out period during November and December. If you're moving from far away for this job, don't expect to be home for the holidays.

They're expanding quickly and I have no doubt that they're doing well financially, but they're critically understaffed.

The turnover rate is insanely high. The month I left, 3 other coworkers on my team also left.

Advice to Management

Be a competitive place to work and offer perks that make up for the awful PTO policy and work hours.

"Nonexistent work/life balance, stay away!"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brilliant Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Centrally located office.
    - Great coworkers.
    - You get to learn a lot about diamonds.
    - They beg you to leave GlassDoor reviews when you're working there do they have good ratings. Notice the recent flood of positive reviews with no cons? Not a coincidence.

Cons

- Horrendous work/life balance, you work on the weekends, no one knows when to say "when."
    - So far removed from the mission that it's a joke. If you apply here because you want to feel like you're doing meaningful work, don't bother.
    - INSANE things go wrong with rings and diamonds and you're 100% kept in the dark about it. Diamonds and jewelry go missing along shipment routes.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like they have lives outside of your company.