Brink's, Incorporated Reviews | Glassdoor

Brink's, Incorporated President and CEO Douglas A. Pertz
Douglas A. Pertz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company was not the best at providing a work/life balance for some positions (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours on holidays (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brinks value it's employees. Managers are helpful and work with anyone to meet expectation.

Cons

Since working for Brinks, no downside.

2. "custodian"

Current Employee - Custodian in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Custodian in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

convient with other part-time job,no interference

Cons

no complaints,works well with my other part-time job

Advice to Management

looking for something to fill the rest of the week with work to have possible full week of work

3. "Overwhelming"

Current Employee - Cash Logidtics Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cash Logidtics Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to receive as much overtime as you want
    That's about it in terms of pros. Not much good to talk about.

Cons

Overworked and underpayed.
    Stressful and overwhelming.
    Spend more time at work than home with family.
    No communication in regards to policy changes, new management, etc.

4. "best employer yet"

Current Employee - Cash Logistics Processor in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Cash Logistics Processor in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great team to work for

Cons

no cons yet that i have experienced

Advice to Management

n/a besides keep up the good work

5. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Cash Logistic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cash Logistic in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, co workers were nice

Cons

No set time when you're getting off, management sucks lack of communication and your job is not secure maybe laid off the next time you work

Advice to Management

None the whole company needs to get laid off!!

6. "Not a job for anyone"

Former Employee - Armed Guard in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Armed Guard in Davenport, IA

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours if you have no life , you carry a gun ? But nothing else that I can think of

Cons

Risking life for Low pay, benefits, no set time-off time, overtime, very little compensation for raise. You will hate yourself for accepting this job

Advice to Management

Fix & restructure your company and pay your employees that risk their lives

"Lack of Cohesion and Direction"

Former Employee - Security Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Security Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of very hard working folks in Brink's US driving old trucks and working in less than ideal conditions. I was a security director for over 11 years.
     I saw a lot of good but also the not so good. Note: This reflects my personal experience and does not reflect that of any other current or former employee of Brink's or any co-workers/supervisors of mine. I saw much more cohesion and team work in Mexico, South America, Europe and Asia. It is a totally different company in those countries. Of particular note is the unified security department in Brazil. A world class organization. They operate in the most dangerous country in the company, yet have tackled difficult issues as a team and made progress. Same with Mexico. The Director of Security is focused and operates as a team leader. The EMEA Director is focused, professional and dedicated to Brink's. I can say the same for the VP. Operations and Security for Global Services. Honestly, if it were not for these people, I dont' think I would have had much of a role in the company.

Cons

There was never a unified and cohesive direction in the security arena in the US The US security team is highly fragmented. Despite efforts to provide global direction, especially in policy and procedures and loss reporting, the US was never on board. The company disbanded their Global Security department of five personnel to "save money" but have spent thousands on travel and improvement teams doing the same thing over and over again without addressing core issues in the US branches. The wage for a new armed driver in most cities in the US is the same as a delivery driver for NAPA auto parts! They are trying to use LEAN to improve processes in the branches without first addressing the basic issues of branch leadership, a high turnover rate of wage employees and basic organization and housekeeping. LEAN will not solve aging and unreliable trucks (despite a move to newer single member trucks) and a lack of organization and fundamentals in customer treeasury count and accountability and in some cases a severe backlog in check imaging. In my opinion, the problems that existed in 2005 exist 12 years later.
    There are a few great branch and district leaders but there are not enough of them to sufficiently manage the operations across the US. Whatever they are doing in Global Services and in overseas branches is not being translated for the US. The US does have one or two proactive security programs, which I will not post here, but unfortunately ebb and flow with funding, but they are chasing loss events like detectives in a squad room waiting for the next case on the board. The US security leadership fundamentally disregarded the work of two global security staffers as to the "Nexus" between losses and employees using a highly sophisticated reporting and tracking system. Proposed policies and improvements in how we build branches using a risk based approach developed by the Department of Defense and Sandia Labs was ignored.

Advice to Management

- Drill down to the basics- employee screening and training. Get the branches cleaned up and organized. Ensure basic processes for counting and ensuring accuracy of treasuries are present. Continue with efforts to upgrade the US fleet and buy trucks that are suitable for the mission.
    - The single crew trucks are not the panacea. I agree with the basic concept but they were intended for long routes with few stops, not for risky built up urban areas such as Houston and Washington DC. Use should be based on an acceptable risk. not cost savings.
    - Find and retain strong branch leaders. The turnover is shocking and don't keep poor branch managers and make excuses for losses and even thefts by some. Listen to people like Linda Williams who were ringing the bell but was sent to another branch 90 miles away by leadership. She left Brink's and we lost a great employee. .
    - The senior leaders need to realize Brink's is not a production company like Toyota or Hyundai, or a fullfillment company like Amazon which are ripe for LEAN style production improvement. It is a basic "guns, gates and guards" company that needs to stick to fundamentals in security, accountability and safety. IT's fine to seek improvements in money processing, but you can't cut corners to serve the LEAN concept. You can't invoke LEAN when you can't accurately balance the vault and daily cash input and coin inventories.
    - Don't tout you are a "world class security company" when one of your largest divisions has no unified security department and there is no true single "belly button" responsible for corporate security. Under the current structure, security is an additional duty of a P&L responsible EVP. Even the Mayor of New York has a police commissioner.
    - Be proactive, not reactive. Use the tools available to quickly identify and handle internal losses in the US.
    - HR should not be the "king of the domain" and drive security policy. Yes, you have to understand the legalities of handling internal thefts, but security and leadership need to drive action.
    - There are a lot of great people in Brink's. I can name them if needed, but don't want to leave out some that I may forget. But you can't put more and more on them and cut staff and employees to serve LEAN.

"Employees Are Expendable"

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only thing positive I can really say is that the company has a sound history. The sad part is that this history is being tarnished by leadership focused only on stock prices and not the great contributions of what made the company great in the first place--its people.

Cons

When the going gets tough, the very first thing cut are the valuable and seasoned employees. There is virtually no empathy from senior leaders to the needs and development of the employee. Job security does not exist because it is easier to cut people than change the culture and leadership styles of those running the show.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Your literature and advertising material talks about the value of the employee and their contributions, but the company does absolutely nothing to reward commitment and loyalty. To earn the respect of employees, management must be as invested in the employees as the company expects from the employee. Put professional focus on the employee and they will advance the company. You must lead your people before you LEAN your operation.

9. "Vault Cashier"

Former Employee - TN-Tennessee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - TN-Tennessee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, 401K program, adequate salary.

Cons

10 - 12 hr work days, poor quality working enviroment, old cash counting equipment often non functioning, poor reputation with clients.

Advice to Management

Correct the above conditions

"Does not care about their people at all."

Former Employee - Driver/Messenger in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Driver/Messenger in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Brink's, Incorporated full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some freedom, okay benefits, feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

Company doesn't care about you. You are just a number and if you were killed, they would move on the next day without sending flowers to your funeral. They are going down the tubes. They don't even give you a card on Christmas. Pay is terrible and not worth the danger.

Advice to Management

Treat people better.