Brinker Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brinker CEO & President Wyman Roberts
Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Great place to work, great comraderie, great work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Great culture, people are awesome (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance and quality of life is tough (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours, I was not paid what I thought I should receive (in 12 reviews)

1. "Beware of working here"

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay well, but as we all know pay is not everything.

Cons

The company missed sales targets greatly last year resulting in onuses not being paid out and stock prices dropping. They set a sales target this year of only a 1% increase to try to make up for failing the previous year, they are still not able to make those sales targets. Because the company is performing so poorly they just laid-off both Restaurant/Field Managers and corporate employees to make their numbers look better. A large number of Restaurant Managers quit Chili's in less than 30 days for starting due to poor work life balance and being unhappy with the role and management.
    The company is still not making sales, you can assume more layoffs are in their future.
    They pay high salaries t try to make up for what they lack, but again a high percentage of newly hired restaurant managers are leaving in 30 days once they realize what it is really like to work for Brinker/Chili's. This is definitely a "buyer-be-ware" situation.
    Current and long standing managers are also leaving because of the low sales and instability of the companies future.
    Their Benefits are very expensive.
    They will tell you about their culture but they do not live them, its just words to attract candidates.

2. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Plainview, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Plainview, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having a pay day everyday. Even if people only tip 5% the coworkers are awesome

Cons

They pay 2.13 an hour and not 4 dollars an hour. Management is horrible.

"Great company, terrible department"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is fantastic. Great emphasis on feedback and working together. People across the company are very close knit.

Cons

Do not join the marketing team. That department has serious issues, most of which stem from an inefficient and petty leader. The rest of the company rewards based on competency and hard work, but getting ahead on the marketing team is all political.

Advice to Management

Clean house. If someone has proven over and over again that they are horrible for turnover and employee engagement, no matter how close your relationship to them, you must let them go.

5. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Brinker (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff was great and the customers were great too

Cons

lack of support from both RD and AD

Advice to Management

more support

"Horrible you'll never receive a raise."

Current Employee - Hostest in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Hostest in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Brinker part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food discount that is 50% is very beneficial to myself and other coworkers that are in the building. also the online hit schedule is very beneficial when it comes to releasing and picking up other shifts.

Cons

After being here for almost two years I haven't received an evaluation that I'm suppose to get for a raise the one time I did receive a raise it was from me personally asking my GM for a raise and that was a year and a half later .

7. "It will serve a purpose...for a time."

Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule especially for those pursuing college degrees or other education

Cons

Built upon a strong foundation some managers fail to carry through on values of the culture

Advice to Management

Upper management should thoroughly vet lower level management before hire

"Area Director"

I have been working at Brinker full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and compensation. The people you get to work with are fantastic. Work life balance is good.

Cons

You will be a number to them. When they decide to put the pressure on for a company initiative they will put heavy pressure and it won't matter what your results are.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the compensation and benefits but keep an eye out for volatility. The people were fantastic but the upper management does not care.

9. "For people very passionate about the casual dining industry."

I have been working at Brinker full-time

Pros

work-life balance, casual dress, location

Cons

leadership, not selective in hiring policies

10. "It's a server job"

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Brinker part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours during down times. Fun crew to work with. Understanding management

Cons

Working on holidays mandatory. Restaurant is beginning to cater more to lower class customers. Identity crisis, do we want to be fine dining or do we want to be casual?

Advice to Management

Quit catering to the lower class.

11. "Not for those who care or want to succeed"

Current Employee - Culinary Manager
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager

I have been working at Brinker full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck, that's it.

Cons

As a manager, you are constantly required to cut hours to make your budget/plan. By doing this, you are required to cook, be a dishwasher, be a server, be a host, run the window, etc. we put in 70 hour work weeks and then get the "you need to cut more hours" from the schedule.

Your GM is not held accountable. You will work your butt off to get ahead but at the end of the day, it's just to make them look good. I was recently told to "figure out the solution" for a problem we've had for a year. My GM doesn't care about it. Rather than hold him accountable, it's left to me. It's easier to tell me to do something rather than my boss who is ultimately the one who should be making those decisions

Work life balance is absolutely non existent. They talk a big game but there's no follow through.

I've been promotable for 2 years and have been passed over twice. They don't like promoting women. It's only happened once in my career (almost 8 years).

Advice to Management

Hold GMs accountable for their location, not only their managers. Very few of us are getting the development we need and deserve. You are constantly telling us to. "Look in the mirror". May I suggest you do the same???

We can cut all the hours you want but that work is still there to do. Your managers aren't leaders, they are highly paid hourly workers.