Bristol Hospice Reviews | Glassdoor

Stephen A. Leedy, MD, MA, FAAHPM, HMDC

1. "RN Case Manager"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Stillwater, OK
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Stillwater, OK

I worked at Bristol Hospice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Extensive driving and documentation. Not enough time in the day.

Advice to Management

Increase your nursing staff

2. "Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Nurse in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Bristol Hospice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, work together as a team.

Cons

Low pay, no value of employees, no raises, poor management.

Advice to Management

Value your loyal employees and give annual raises

"Once was the best place to work until management changed."

Former Employee - Nursing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Nursing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bristol Hospice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Had a great attitude and wonderful co-workers and they actually allowed the nurse to do their job and wanted nurses and staff to build a re-pore with pt and family. Allowed the nurses to have the time to see the pts and families and didn't over load nurses and other staff.

Cons

After management change and under qualified personal took over the management . The management used staff to receive new ideas and then would pass them off as their own. Seemed that the nursing director felt threatened by anyone who had more knowledge related to pt care and instead of being thankful and pull from that resource and other nurses as a team management seemed threatened.

Advice to Management

Corporate should screen management positions better and actually test the knowledge in actual cases prior to hiring. Not just hire to fill a open position. Also management to not just go off of the increase in money saved but actually see whom the patients are saying is the reason for the love of the company. If management runs all the good employees and long-term employees off the reputation will suffer and then so will the profits. Normally its the staff that are in the homes and communicating with the Drs not those in the offices.

5. "Great Company, Needs Corporate Structure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Our agency was staff-oriented and really focused on staff and patient care. This really led to a sense of teamwork and that we were all working towards the same goals. Patients loved us, community members loved us and helped us grow into a great place that provided excellent care.

Cons

The corporate mentality and unstable structure led to many of us who loved working there feeling like we never knew if we were going to be in business or not. The billing department did not know how to bill for the services that we were providing and of course this led to lose of revenue. Luckily the community knew we were a great place and supported us but at a corporate level there was a scattered, reactive approach that did not feel secure. This company does not give raises. Just FYI.

Advice to Management

At a corporate level, Bristol needs to have strong, consistent and clear goals that are translated all throughout the company. Have long-term plans, stop being reactive to your business partners. Provide matching 401K benefits and monetary rewards to high performing staff (i.e. raises).

"Hospice with no compassion for employees"

Former Employee - Social Worker in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Social Worker in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Location was close to home.

Cons

Upper management was very superficial. President &Vice Presidents would come in from Utah to visit the Woodlands office and not greet the staff. When they did speak to the team, it was usually to give a pep talk about how strong the company overall was doing, but then you wouldn't get a raise. Lots of frequent staff turnover.

"PCC"

Former Employee - RN PCC in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - RN PCC in Waxahachie, TX

Pros

Office was close to my home and my fellow employees were great- very caring and supportive

Cons

Corporate " wants" everyone to think they are " all about the patient, family " and that , as it should be- they come first-- so not so- " bottom line" " productivity" most important to this organization- HOW they look - not exactly how they perform. I was soooo overworked and NEVER told I was doing a good job- even though my patients, families would differ and my paperwork was always done on time. A company looking for new, less experienced , cheaper nurses to mold to their corporate image. Sad when nurses who actually know how to TOUCH people are so burned out they quit.... wonder who will take good care of us???

Advice to Management

take care of your staff

8. "Medical coder lead"

I have been working at Bristol Hospice full-time

Pros

Great company, employees, and benefits! The company also offers the ability to have flexible hours and to work in a positive oriented environment. Everyone is very supportive of each other and working along aside and with the locations can be a bit challenging, but also offers a great sense of accomplishment.

Cons

I personally don't have any cons at this time. They have given me many opportunities and offered me career advancements.

"Beware of long term"

Pros

Decent benefits, co-workers were friendly

Cons

No notice of being let go, management played favorites, little direction from management, bad communication, don't care about employees

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. They are your lifeblood

10. "Great company to work with!"

I have been working at Bristol Hospice full-time

Pros

I work with a great group of people and enjoy the team environment. The management is open to recommendations and listens to us to create a positive work environment. The employees are committed to a high quality of care.

Cons

Just wish changes would be made more quickly after the decisions are made. It would be nice to have even a couple of days of PTO right from the start.

Advice to Management

Focus more on career track and upward mobility. Reward exceptional work and provide opportunities for networking and growth.

"Poorly Managed. Negative work environment."

I worked at Bristol Hospice full-time

Pros

Strong Company. Good Benefit Program. Fair Compensation.

Cons

Poorly managed. Failure of corporate leadership to address internal problems.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and realize they are "Bristol" to the community...they are not a "dime a dozen". Corporate managers need to address internal problems. Hire managers that have peopel skills and respect employees. Current managers are immature, self-interested, overbearing and have no vision of the purpose of the company. Bristol has done their employees and patients a disservice with this group of managers. Company continues to lose valuable clinicians due to the negative work environment.