Bristol West Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Bristol West Insurance Group Reviews

Updated Aug 12, 2019

Found 73 reviews

3.6
Bristol West Insurance Group CEO Eric Kappler (no image)
Eric Kappler
Pros
  • "The fact that it's non-standard claims actually enables you to grow faster as a rep, than other carriers I've worked for(in 5 reviews)

• "Good opportunity for advancement within the company(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is a non standard business who provides no autonomy for the representatives(in 7 reviews)

• "unable to use PTO freely due to high work load and high turnover(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is so much flexibility and the morale is amazing! Definitely not your everyday corporate company!

Cons

Workload can get heavy but you have a great management team to help!

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-06-11

"Good people, long hours, & lots of upset customers"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Benefits were good. Company tried to take care of their employees with weekly food usually to show appreciation. Managers wanted to help as best they could and most everyone would give you their time if you needed any help or assistance. Ability to learn tons about the insurance industry and grow. Team based office set up so help was usually there when needed. Might be worth getting the insurance education... and try to move up to Farmers (parent company) or to a Standerd Insurance Company. BW is nonstandard. Pay was fair for the job title.

Cons

Non-Standard clients whose claims have lots of issues. (Google the difference between Non-Standard vs. Standard). Salary pay did not reflect that of the long hours. High stress regarding speaking to customers who were upset about their accidents and claims. Customers would usually leave you feeling degraded. Seasonal times had many staying late and some working 12 hour days. Not the initial call center..., but it was as close as a business could be to one. Work loads were too much for any human being to handle. Corporate cut departments leading to even heavier and more time consuming tasks to be placed on the already overworked employees. No work life balance. Making this my biggest point to get across.

Advice to Management

I loved my managers so this is really for anyone above them as the company did not think of the impact their decisions would have on their own customer facing employees. The company began to cut departments which led to those worker's jobs becoming our daily duties as their jobs had to go somewhere. We literally took on other department's jobs with very little training and no incentive for doing so. Provide... jobs that have daily objectives that are actually obtainable. Take the mental care and wellness of your own people into consideration.

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-08-12

"RUN FAR! Go with a standard carrier"

Current Employee - Adjuster

Pros

The direct Supes are laid back and generally understanding. Co-workers are supportive.

Cons

*Only certain people are picked for office/national projects. Not everyone has a chance to learn new skills or advance. *They do NOT have training/mentorships programs for new leaders. You simply have to figure it out and if you don’t figure it out then failure is your fault. *Theres an ongoing issue with certain areas gauging on storage fees. These areas would certainly benefit from a field appraiser presence.... But guess what, Bristol is all about cutting costs. So instead of hiring extra bodies to help manage these areas, the reps are responsible and punished if they can’t do it effectively. *Upper management is very out of touch with the day to day issues with the reps and set unrealistic expectations.

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-08-03
  4. "Good Company"

Former Employee - FNOL Claims Supervisor in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, benefits, profit sharing, and learning opportunities

Cons

Leadership is top heavy and sometimes does not disseminate information timely and/or with clarity.

Advice to Management

For the area there is limited upward mobility due to the tenure of the existing Leiadership team..opportunities come slowly. There are opportunities outside the local area and state for upward mobility into leadership.

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-06-24
  5. "RUN!!!"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- STIP benefits - Most coworkers are great

Cons

- ZERO work life balance - Unrealistic expectations - Management sucks and they love pointing the finger when they are the ones proving incorrect direction - On the phone 7hrs of your 8hr day -Crappy pay that is well below industry average - They only promote their favorites or the ones that kiss their behind the best

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-07-01

July 10, 2019Strategic Consultant

Thank you for your feedback - it is nice to know that you had positive experiences with your peer group. Receiving honest messages about how our employees feel helps our organization continue to improve. The Claims Adjuster position is a valuable position in our organization and ...

6. "Good support but difficult job"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Anaheim, CA

Pros

- Good training and support - Management was fair - Coworkers are all friendly and helpful - Benefits were solid

Cons

- Workload was a bit ridiculous - Non standard auto claims is not for everyone

Advice to Management

- Hire more employees to keep the workload a bit more manageable

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-03-09

March 11, 2019Strategic Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear about your positive experiences regarding the training and your co-workers! We're currently working on adding to staff in your location - be on the lookout for some new team members soon!

7. "Bristol West Wilmington DE Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Love working here! A great sense of family and community in the office. The office is growing and there is plenty of room to grow in your career.

Cons

Fast rate environment, but no day is ever the same and you really feel that you accomplish something every day.

Advice to Management

Great culture, keep it going

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-02-22
  8. "Bristol West Wilmington, DE."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for advancement and an amazing company culture!

Cons

Much room for advancement within the company but only so much room in our Wilmington location.

Advice to Management

Keep staffing appropriately,

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-02-20

"It was great in the beginning"

Former Employee - Special Claims Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay, benefits and travel.

Cons

Majority of management is incompetent and are in positions for which they are not qualified.

Bristol West Insurance Group2019-01-25

February 1, 2019Strategic Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’d love to learn more about your leadership experiences and how we can improve. Please email me at Natoshia.Banken@BristolWest.com.

10. "Only good to get job experience and move on"

Former Employee - Claims in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Bristol West Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers friendly. Provide food regularly. Encourages giving back for example food bank, clothing drives. Excellent initial trainer and initial training class.

Cons

Job all about numbers. Inconsistent support from management who play favorites. There is no work/life balance. Too much frivolous activities which would not be approved by Senior Management. This is a non standard business who provides no autonomy for the representatives. Cases must consistently be coached with supervisor or manager , Management reports they visit their representatives two times... a day but often you can go an entire day without seeing someone. The lack of flow in the process causes significant problems for the representatives. Too much of a clique mentality. Very high turnover. Different set of rules depending on the unit you occupy.

Advice to Management

If you are going to have representatives who have no ability to make decisions without supervisory approval then have supervisors who are always available.

Bristol West Insurance Group2018-12-22

January 4, 2019Strategic Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoyed working with your team members. Our organization is growing quickly which at times presents challenges. We continue to look for new ...

Found 73 reviews