British American Tobacco Reviews | Glassdoor

British American Tobacco CEO and Director Nicandro Durante
Nicandro Durante

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor Work Life Balance and Stereotype Performance Management (in 59 reviews)

• The only negative thing about BAT is that there's no work/life Balance at all (in 16 reviews)

"Marketing Strategy"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Asia, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Asia, TN

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An old school place to waiting for pay checks and retirement.

Cons

company is running on low budget mode. can not afford to pay like usual anymore.

Advice to Management

The office have not renovate for more than 20 years already. we hope management can give some budget to make over our working environment.

2. "Technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Ibadan, Oyo (Nigeria)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Ibadan, Oyo (Nigeria)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in British American tobacco will expose you to some of the best practices in a manufacturing environment.

Cons

Skewed Career path and Soo much cronyism

Advice to Management

Management should desist from cronyism and undue favour in performance appraisals... This advice is for the factory in Nigeria....

"I should have followed my instincts"

Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at British American Tobacco as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is high and benefits good, the pension is very good.

Cons

strange culture, not collaborative, the management have terrible leadership skills and do not work with contractors well. Male dominated and a bullying culture, I felt isolated.

4. "No work-life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amstelveen (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amstelveen (Netherlands)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time

Pros

I'll get back to this point once I remember something positive that reflects reality.

Cons

Long interview process. Very bad work-life balance and little to no recognition. Very political. Leadership decisions disregard impact on middle management and workforce. No overtime pay, although overtime is a must in many positions.
    Before applying try contacting former employees to get a full picture. The tobacco aspect may also represent a stigma on the resume if you apply afterwards to health conscious companies, this may be applicable for other companies as well, but at bat it's not worth because of the above mentioned factors.

5. "Miserable company"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

give you high responsibilities even during internship period

Cons

- All the high paid roles are linked to personal attachment with Top Team managers
    - low salary vs industry
    - very stressful jobs assignments called " personal development plan"
    - they can fire you without any reason (fired 8 person during 2 years)

"Manager"

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time

Pros

Competitive salary package, premium healthcare insurance for managerial positions, from 1 to 4 monthly salary bonus per year.

Cons

Extremely political, prefer employees who have relationships with or may bring a whole bunch of benefits to hiring managers [especially Vietnam hiring managers or directors]. The employees with 'big mouth' or 'loud voice' easily attracts the attention of most of people within BAT and VLT, and therefore easily promoted even though they are a bit talented or are not. Prefer the employees with soft skills rather than the employees with strong technical skills.

Advice to Management

Make a fair evaluation on the employees, their 'real' ability and skills rather than their 'fake' skills or 'big mouth'.

"Awful....Simply Awful"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, knowledgable company, old set of managers always looked after the staff, good systems to work
     Team members that stuck out for you and stuck together

Cons

New management only in it for themselves
    Bad pay
    Work being done has no credibility to it
    Racism and bulling apparent in all departments especially the sales team
    People steal your ideas and pass it off as their own
    No career progression
    Always want more and more from for nothing
    No appreciation for the work that you have done
    No flexibility
    Huge turnover rate of around 60% in the company that alone says something about the company

Advice to Management

Leave and actually put someone in charge who's knows what they are doing

8. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and bonus are above market rates. Office location excellent. That's about it.

Cons

Culture is toxic driven by fear and one directional thinking. Dominant MD who actually is a smart and cunning operator but has deliberately surrounded himself with 'yes' men. No one ever questions him which is the way he wants it and has built his senior team to rubber stamp his actions. One member of the top leadership team has no professional qualifications and is simply a political networking professional. Far too many second tier managers are not trained in how to manage people. Promotion and opportunities is dependent on either cultivating information power or putting down others to seem superior. At multiple times I've been told that I must always remember I'm competing with my colleagues.

Advice to Management

Sadly they would never listen. They are not interested in perspectives from those who have different backgrounds, experiences or education qualifications. Feedback on performance is never sought at any level of management.

9. "Procurement Manager"

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays well and global company

Cons

unfair performance evaluation, no delegation of authority, too much hierarchical

"contractual breach and unfair dismissal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

global company with strong business performance

Cons

They seem to have forgotten the human side of human resources, mistreating committed and hard workers to the point to breach contractual conditions. Management seems to want people to do the job not caring about developing and supporting individuals to succeed, on the contrary, placing the blame seems preferable to constructively achieve goals as a team
    I am seriously concerned about the HR practices I have witnessed in Globe House, the HR management did not hesitate to unfairly dismiss a team member, not only by breaching all internal procedures and irresponsibly disregarding good practices, but with a completely unnecessary humiliating approach. If this continues to be the HR leadership this is not a recommendable place to work.

Advice to Management

Management in HR needs to review the way they want to treat employees
    Leaders and managers should be reminded about the accountability in developing high performance teams and individuals. Also about their role in making a company a good place to work,
    People managing and communication skills are only the basics, as an organization that wants to have the best talent of the class, they should start by having inspiring and capable leaders, this is certainly not the current case in HR/Reward teams (BAT globe house)