British American Tobacco Trade Marketing Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
British American Tobacco CEO and Director Nicandro Durante
Nicandro Durante

Pros
Cons
  • Can do better for work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• The only negative thing about BAT is that there's no work/life Balance at all (in 13 reviews)

1. "My work experience"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work,we are given freedom through responsibility and our diversity is our strength.

Cons

Movement from the non managerial to managerial level is rigorous

Advice to Management

To keep up with the good work.

2. "Trade Marketing and distribution representative"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing and Distribution Representative in Yaoundé (Cameroon)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work place, salary and work life balance

Cons

Opportinuties to grow in the company

Advice to Management

Medium

3. "Trade Marketing Representative"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Cali, Valle del Cauca (Colombia)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time

Pros

Can grow if you are the best!

Cons

You need to be the best!

5. "Great experience for sales and trade marketing"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Advertising for Tobacco Industry in restricted in mostly every country in the world. This means that the whole marketing strategy is going be related with sales and trade marketing

Cons

I worked for trade marketing, this was so far the best experience I had to get closer to understand consumer behavior in order to execute sales strategies.

6. "trade Marketer"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Nairobi (Kenya)

I worked at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BAT is a good employer in terms of package and personal growth.There is a lot of trainings and skill transmission.Recreational activities and outings that open up employees.

Cons

The coverage areas are vast to make proper market execution leading to some customers not attended to,this leaves some opportunities not exploited.

Advice to Management

Increase manpower for improved market coverage.Upward growth is rare as it opts to get new people for higher positions other than promoting growth within.

7. "Field Review"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative

Pros

Positive work/life balance
    Great deal of autonomy
    Structured formal training
    Competitive commission structure
    Competitive base salary

Cons

No link between field and office
    Slow chain of command
    Limited progression for field team

Advice to Management

Look to manage the link between field staff and office staff more effectively; improve internal communications as there is very little and can be very slow; look at ways to develop staff in more ways than 6 week induction.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Richmond, London, England (UK)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BAT UK provides great career opportunities and gives people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves regardless of age or experience.
    The pay is pretty good, and in a good year the bonus is very generous.
    There is a very positive culture (it's fun, relaxed and informal). Anyone can go and talk to senior management, there are no airs and graces and no big egos.

Cons

It's not really a 'con' as such, but it's hard work! You definitely have to work for your money. Sometimes it feels as though some departments are more 'up against it' than others, which can feel a bit unfair, but it tends to even itself out across the year.

Advice to Management

Keep on providing the career opportunities and make sure they are available to everyone. Have more of a focus on flexible working arrangements.

"Trade Marketing Representative"

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well established company making waves and beating the competition.

Cons

Remuneration is below market anchor. Tick box culture. High staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Less red tape. A move towards "a happy worker is a productive worker" would be nice.

"Managed Out"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)

Pros

Extremely enjoyable events the company put on when doing product launches or training. The people I met within my team were very nice, helpful and taught me a lot.

Cons

My new manager basically 'managed' me out of my position based on previous agreements with my old manager and the sheer amount of pressure the new one put me under made me fail. There is never time to do things properly and members from other teams cheat to achieve goals - who can get 26 introductions in one day?

Advice to Management

Listen to staff more, less pressure and more rewards for achieving targets other than a yearly bonus. Oh, and the amount of time spent of laptops outside of work is insane, every single week you'd spend hours and hours of personal time doing laptop work because it simply never ever ends.

11. "Great place to work, amazing place to be."

Current Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at British American Tobacco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

World class training, industry-leading pay, generous benefits. They get you to own your work; very entrepreneurial environment. There is alot of support from managers if you are looking to progress or participate in projects. Employee input is encouraged when designing new business processes and ideas.

Cons

General decline of the tobacco industry and government regulation in the Uk.

Because of the rapid and ongoing nature of industry changes there is a lot of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees and appreciate the incredibly hard work and passion we put into the business; at such an unprecedented and difficult time for the industry.