British Columbia Institute of Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
British Columbia Institute of Technology President Kathy Kinloch
Kathy Kinloch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, work-life balance and decent salary (in 6 reviews)

• Very good work-life balance and good benefits with the exception of paramedical ( (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of talk of employee engagement with little results (in 3 reviews)

• There are many areas BCIT should strive to achieve in promoting employees' skill inventories (in 9 reviews)

"The best and the worst"

Current Employee - Instructor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with students is rewarding, although challenging at times. Some of the management, staff and instructors are deeply committed.

Cons

Management plays lip service to be student-centred. In reality, there is an abundance of empire building, and self-serving decisions that are tolerated and even encouraged. Unfortunately, what management says, and what they do are often polar opposites. This is from my experience, in the School of Business. With a new Dean, hopefully things will improve, but it will be a long and difficult journey.

Advice to Management

Please do what you say you are going to do rather than just talk, talk, talk about it. Support your students and staff.

2. "Great student job"

I worked at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time

Pros

IT Services was a great place to get my foot in the door for a summer job.

Cons

Things can move a little slowly, sometimes things are not as efficient as they could be.

3. "Ed Tech Support"

I worked at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time

Pros

don't have to take work home with you

Cons

toxic culture with little room for growth or support from management.

Advice to Management

unions have too much leverage and prevents management from enacting any real change, management needs realistic and immediate goals, low salary does not invite talented people to join the team.

4. "ups and downs"

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel appreciated and my supervisors are very understanding. Alot of great people to work with. Decent benefits except for physio, chiro, naturopath and massage.

Cons

Slow pace and progress in many areas. Some people have too many responsibilities. Many bitter long term employees. Mediocre wage for most employees.

5. "System Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros

Very good benefit and vacation

Cons

Not many restaurants around the area.

6. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at British Columbia Institute of Technology (More than a year)

Pros

The employees were treated fairly. I enjoyed a lot.

Cons

i didn't find any downside of my work

7. "Dysfunctional Management in Charge!"

I have been working at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time

Pros

Great social, community and volunteer opportunities and wonderful feel-good feedback from students who appreciate good instruction. Considerable autonomy for Instructors, though I wouldn't want to be front-line staff.

Cons

Dysfunctional management, completely isolated from its frontline employees, which doesn't bother to listen to those employees and which seems to have diddly-squat interest in education, in its Instructors (what they need to do a good job) or the students (what they need to succeed ... hello, up-to-date classrooms, technology and courses ... where are you?). A completely oblivious, over-paid, self-satisfied and self-serving bunch ... to quote Trump, "sad".

Advice to Management

Really listen to your frontline people ... instead of the game of pretend you play with your phoney surveys and meetings in which you ask for our best advice, get it and promptly ignore it.

"Disheartening"

I have been working at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time

Pros

I like the fact that I have some freedom how I do my work. But that's about it. No one's looking over my shoulder checking my work.

Cons

There are many areas BCIT should strive to achieve in promoting employees' skill inventories. I feel like I'm being pigeon-holed by being in this position. I do take advantage of taking classes here and there to better myself. And I do apply to jobs that reflect my experience but it goes to the person who's already selected or "pre-determined." It's not fair because other employees don't get a chance to move up within the organization! So my experience has been frustrating. I don't know about other depts but my dept seems to he ok with status quo. I want to try other depts but they are not willing to give me a chance.
    So just be aware if you're coming to work at BCIT, you might be stuck in your position for many years!!!

"BCIT. Where careers go to die."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at British Columbia Institute of Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good work-life balance and good benefits with the exception of paramedical ($10 a visit for podiatrist, chiropractor, physio, etc). Very generous vacation, sick leave and training/education time off. Decent pay for technical staff for Vancouver, though Vancouver has pretty bad tech pay in general and is a very expensive city in which to live. Relaxed environment, casual dress code, easy pace (which is a double-edged sword here). Also, a pretty respectful workplace.

Cons

As I said, the easy pace has a downside too. Things take forever to get done and mediocrity is very acceptable. Engagement is very low, at least on the technical staff side. I can't speak for instructors. Career opportunities are virtually non-existent, no incentive via promotions, raises or even opportunities to really challenge yourself. Many of my co-workers lament how working here actually harms your career long-term. Senior management is quite myopic and risk-averse. Performance management is non-existent in my area, though I expect that has more to do with direct management than the institute.

Advice to Management

Find a way to evaluate and improve line managers. Take some risks and focus far more on students (your customers), instead of allowing people to protect their turf and outdated processes.

10. "Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, SOB in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, SOB in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros

Gernerally a good community culture.

Cons

Management is not responsive to teaching staff.

Advice to Management

More interaction with professors, instructors and researchers. There is a wall around management.