British Gypsum Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Alastair Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England (UK)

I worked at British Gypsum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to learn many new things and staff were great and got to travel over country and meet others from company

Cons

The department I worked in there wasn’t really a lot of room to move up,the fuel allowance wasn’t that great and varied on the price of fuel at the time

Advice to Management

Great company really if was paid more I would of probably stayed

2. "Great for short term experience"

Pros

- Given a high level of responsibility
    - Decent Salary
    - Can initiate and lead projects in the area you choose

Cons

- Massively inneficient
    - No drive for innovation

3. "Process operator"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Robertsbridge, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Robertsbridge, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours and great pay. Look after you and treat everyone like family.

Cons

None that come to mind!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4. "BG today"

Current Employee - Estate Manager in East Leake, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Estate Manager in East Leake, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring company
    Good ethical code of conduct
    Many opportunities
    Does WCM fantastically

Cons

Links to Saint Gobain not perfect
    Company car fuel payments poor
    Money purchase pension

5. "A new world"

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time

Pros

This is currently one of the safest places I have ever worked. We have lots of policies and directions to follow but overall things do get better year after year. For me in term of working for BG i'm relatively short time served at less than 20 years. We have most people here on both shop floor and management that have completed 25 years up to 40 plus years so for me that says a lot about any company. As long as you can adapt to a modern work place you can pretty much say you have a job for life, not so many of those jobs about anymore. There is a lot of flexibility as well with day and shift jobs and if you do have the drive and determination future managers are always a resource the company will need. All in all I would recommend a life in BG based on the rewards you get for working with the company. At the end of the day you get out of bed to earn a living and if you can earn it in a safe and happy place whats stopping you.

Cons

Can be to many initiatives all happening at the same time, its better now but just sometimes you have to wonder where people come up with things. I guess some of the pros can also be cons as people think there is to much safety, to many rules, but things have changed significantly since I started with the company and to be fair there is always a downside to working for anyone, but I don't think the downside here get even close to out weighing plus side.

Advice to Management

Communicate better between yourselves as far to often your not the message sent out is different from department to department and try to remember there is other things on site that don't just make plasterboard.

6. "Review from a Project Leader"

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in East Leake, England (UK)
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in East Leake, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Friendly environment
    - Great focus on Health and Safety
    - Rich training program for new starters

Cons

- Salaries not in line with the industry
    - Little prospect for career progression within the department (Cross department or inter company mobility required)
    - Very political

Advice to Management

Work should be done to revalue technical positions within the company. The lack of career prospects for staff with a technical background is appalling and does not motivate staff to remain in the department and be fulfilled.

7. "Great people, great company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Operative in Kirkby Thore, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operative in Kirkby Thore, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for, genuine concern for health and safety of their employees, from day one you are made to feel welcome by everyone, good family values, great benefits and career opportunities. I would recommend working at British Gypsum / Saint-Gobain to anyone.

Cons

Just gutted I didn't start working here sooner.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing with regards your approach to employees. Certainly at my site there is a real can do attitude and a positivity that I witnessed being dwindled away by poor management at my previous company. Thank you.

8. "Wealth of Experience in the Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Leake, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a new graduate, it’s always good to be given real responsibility from day one and being able to feel like you are making an impact to the company at an early stage in your career. One thing that makes British Gypsum stand out is the wealth of experienced people that are around you on a daily basis and being able to learn from them. Being a part of Saint-Gobain, I have realised that there are various career opportunities within the business worldwide (have met many people that have moved from one business to another within Saint-Gobain).

Cons

Even though it’s a very big organisation (you realise this once you start working here), it’s not known to many people outside of the construction industry.

9. "Great Place to Build a Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Leake, England (UK)

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

British Gypsum has provided me with a number of great experiences. I joined the business as a graduate, and straight away was given opportunities to make a real impact by taking ownership of real projects. Both back then, and even now in my current role, there have always been people around to provide support whenever I have needed it, and to help me develop my skills whilst building a career.

Cons

As it is such a big organisation employing so many people, sometimes key decisions can take longer than people might like them to. Although it is encouraged, it can be difficult to bring new ideas to the table and see them implemented due to the sheer number of people that would need to be involved, and the number of procedures that would have to be followed.

Advice to Management

Continue to put effort into developing people, and always be open to new ideas and ways of thinking.

10. "Supportive, challenging, varied"

I have been working at British Gypsum full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities within a broad range of functions, with support for growth and movement of the employee if desired. Great opportunities within sister businesses, too.

Cons

Some areas of the business can be slower and less supportive than others, wages are not the highest but are generally competitive especially when the positive culture and work environment is considered.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging, supporting and providing feedback. This strategy is extremely positive if done well, and it can only be done well with practise!