British Heart Foundation Volunteer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
British Heart Foundation Chief Executive Simon Gillespie
Simon Gillespie

Pros
Cons
  • You can't blame their culture for having so few paid staff, therefore raising so much more for important research (in 10 reviews)

• Staff and volunteers are not always respected, I always treated my volunteers with upmost respect, small tokens of thanks goes an awful long way (in 4 reviews)

1. "Friendly staff amazing time"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Chard, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Chard, England (UK)

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You become part of the community. All the full-time staff are friendly. You gain valuable retail experience and you aren't forced into agreeing to particular hours you just work when it suits you.

Cons

During busy times it is hard to manage the shop floor to the best standard and sometimes the days do drag on as the town is very quiet.

Advice to Management

No advice to give, every thing usually runs smoothly and when it doesn't it is out of their control. BHF is the best way to get work experience and gain confidence which is massively helped by the management.

2. "They make you feel important there"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Dover, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Dover, England (UK)

I have been working at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone that works there makes it a good place to be.

Cons

There are'nt any it is a very comfortable place to work

Advice to Management

Just carry on being the same.

3. "General volunteering experience"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Oxford, England (UK)

Pros

Good atmosphere and friendly staff working in the shops. Nice to see hard and charitable work benefiting people and customers who want to make a difference by helping people with heart problems.

Cons

A bit chaotic at times, especially in the sorting rooms etc. Nothing that couldn't be managed well though.

5. "Great experience"

Former Employee - In-store Volunteer in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - In-store Volunteer in Lancaster, England (UK)

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain experience of what working in a shop is like.

Cons

Sometimes the store was under staffed, due to a lack of volunteers.

Advice to Management

Try to recruit more volunteers for the long run, there is hardly any sign asking for people to give up some of there time.

6. "Avoid"

Current Freelancer - Volunteer
    Current Freelancer - Volunteer

I have been working at British Heart Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

- Experience
    - Something to do

Cons

- Constant bullying issues and being hassled by men just because you're young
    - Ignored if you're after training courses
    - Singled out often by staff except by those who you work closely with
    - Not much support
    - Seems to be that you would probably have to be "Clicky" and banter with the team just to get anything done
    - Kitchen is always filthy including the lavatories
    - The store has had stalking issues in the past
    - Most staff feel threatened by you if you are good at the job or offer for them to join you at events

Advice to Management

My best advice would to be to shut the store down and start again. But the staff should be retrained and not to be so stuck up in feeling threatened by new volunteers who are good at the job.

7. "Benefits of volunteering at BHF homestore"

Current Employee - Volunteer Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

Pros

I have worked in 2 home store/furniture and electrical stores, one in the south of England and one in the north west (where I am currently).

I experience moderate mental health issues (anxiety and depression mainly) and would say the job has really helped me in the following ways:-

Supportive and friendly and helpful managers, make me feel valued and looked after
    Meeting customers, staff and other volunteers helped my confidence grow and took me out of my 'comfort zone' in a secure way.
    Enjoyment of the variety of work and very rewarding helping people and helping a charity
    Flexibility of working
    People like me there (!) and give me compliments about my work, this helps my self-esteem.
    It keeps me busy and positive.

I look forward to going to work and being in a positive environment, with positive people. I am also looking forward to joining you all on the Christmas night out.

Cons

More training for volunteers (especially those with additional needs or low self esteem)
    Mentorship/buddy provision for new volunteers by another experienced volunteer or paid staff member.

Advice to Management

could we have volunteer meetings on a monthly basis?

Thank you Gillian, Emma, Kim, Carl, Felix and Naz (Bury store) for being good to me and the other volunteers, I always feel much better (stronger) when I come into work. You are very supportive, friendly and kind and you help me trust people again. I really appreciate the positive compliments, it helps a great deal with my confidence and you are great people to have met and worked with. This is the best voluntary job I have had (I have worked in a number of charities and schools) and it is helping me a massive amount on my long road to recovery. I also enjoy helping other volunteers who are new or who need extra support, it is rewarding. Please give me a job one day?!

8. "Friendly team of people"

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my time at my local BHF - the staff were extremely friendly and always willing to help you/were very patient whenever you got stuck. All of the volunteers were chatty and approachable, and it was interesting to hear about everybody's lives! My role was very flexible - I completed a range of tasks - and as long as you're willing to work hard, you'll be fine.

Cons

There weren't really any cons, except that sometimes it was a little cramped.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

9. "Only voluntary"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at British Heart Foundation (More than a year)

Pros

Great to give something to a charity and help other people it feels extremely rewarding.
    The people where fabulous to work with a huge variety of colleagues from young to old.

Cons

It was only voluntary so never got paid

10. "Volunteering"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at British Heart Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet some cool people along the way and can pick up a few good bargains yourself. The work is fairly easy.

Cons

Don't really know what volunteers you'll be put with and there seemed to be an overall lack of organisation at the shop.
    Due to the nature of the store some days you'll be bogged with work and others you wont have nothing at all to do.

Advice to Management

Have a more organised rota and shop. Cleanliness is also a must as the store I worked in did need some tlc.

11. "Good retail experience"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Pros

Gave me valuable retail and customer service experience. Management and the other volunteers were great.

Cons

Not many opportunities for progression.