British Transport Police Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
British Transport Police Chief Constable Paul Crowther
Paul Crowther

"Great Force dreadful management......"

Former Employee - Detective Constable in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Detective Constable in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work all over the UK. If there is a major incident you will be involved in it. Reasonable pay. Core of good police officers in London who are good detectives and thief takers. Basically i was one of a core of tecs who were motivated and keen to get on with the job. During my career I was involved in some interesting cases and sensitive work. The BTP get involved in a lot of jobs that the general public would be likely to be unaware of.

Cons

Management are all promotion chasing yes men who keep trying to reinvent the wheel. They will not keep any structure in place for more than five minutes. They treat and bully their own bosses with dreadfully high work load and freeze them out if any dissension is perceived. One very senior officer is a bully.
    Long hours if you put yourself about.

Advice to Management

Retire.

2. "procurement"

Former Employee - Procurement in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Procurement in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the four months I worked at the British Transport Police , I did not see anything positive. What others were happy about including idling around flexible working mean nothing to me

Cons

The non professionals are known to gang up against (particularly) new employees who practice professionalism. They labelled one professional employee as corrupt by making all sorts of false allegations .

Advice to Management

You have brilliant written administrative rules which are broken by unprofessional employees while you watch

"Terrible IT management"

Former Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People there are nice enough and some are supportive with dealing with the problems there. Also they are flexible with their stating times.

Cons

Management is absolutely terrible there and I advise that no one who is serious about their career or IT in general not to work at BTP. IT to them is all about looking good without giving any thought to the infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, there's a high turnover for a reason.

5. "Just don't do it."

Former Employee - Police Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay money and every day was some what different

Cons

The jobs (sometimes you were lucky to get one) Some of the staff above let their ego's get involved.

6. "Good place to work but promotion process means management lack common sense"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Good job everyday is different good colleagues and supervision

Cons

Poor decision making change for change sake then changing back when they realise they made a poor decision

Advice to Management

Senior management need to implement change in a more professional and structured

7. "Finest officers in the country."

Former Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small close knit force,where officers and operational support staff work very well together.

The force is improving all the time and proffesialism of operational staff is fantastic.

Cons

Very senior management do not listen to those on the ground and will not accept concepts are a failure.

Push through computer work applications which are incomplete and do not properly train staff on.

IT is a joke, very old systems which are outdated and not supported , for example running Windows XP and poor internet/intranet.

Not very flexible with the workforce. Shifts are not family friendly change of rest days to cover foreseeable events all too common.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workforce. If your staff are telling you that systems are not working and proper training on how to use the systems are needed, act on it,just don't tell your staff that you are resistant to change.

8. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whilst working at BTP, I worked at FHQ based in London. I had access to many career development opportunities and was able to undertake tasks that I would not have been able to at other organisations. I felt like I was certainly making a difference and that my work contributed to something important. I have met some great, hardworking people and I was definitely sad to leave.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to meet requirements, once you have met your target you are merely rewarded with more targets to achieve.

Advice to Management

More needs to be done to reward employees through base salary pay, as it does not currently meet the market rate.

9. "The best unknown force in the country?"

Former Employee - Police Sergeant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Police Sergeant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Left alone by home office, nationwide jurisdiction, Professional reputation by peers. No 'Facebook' crimes to deal with!

Cons

You do miss out on certain types of work.

Advice to Management

stop changing everything on promotion just for the sake of changing it!

"MY OLD EMPLOYERS THE BTP"

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it's the best job in the world being a Police Officer

Cons

The BTP are appalling employers with a proven track record of awful welfare for their Officers.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to what the officers tell you and act upon it then you want have them leaving in droves.

"Police Officer"

Current Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)

I have been working at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free TfL travel, fair salary. On the whole a good bunch of people to work with. More available funding than Home Office forces.

Cons

No regard for personal life - frequent last minute shift changes and extensions. Awful self-serving management with one senior officer in particular a complete embarrassment. Huge investment in pointless operations but no funding for the things that matter. Huge changes brought in with completely inadequate training or care for their negative impact on officers. Officers seem to be dropping like flies. Low morale is rife and distrust high.

Advice to Management

Treat officers like humans and speak to them. Don't waste money on operations that either don't work, already happen or exist solely to plump up senior officers' portfolios.