British Transport Police Reviews | Glassdoor

British Transport Police Chief Constable Paul Crowther
Paul Crowther

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"invests in potential"

I have been working at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a company that looks at the individual, work ethic and character of the person and is prepared to invest in the potential and not previous experience. Flexible, acknowledges good work, support given when required. Good pay, holidays, security.
    A positive and progressive work environment. If you want to succeed the opportunities are there.

Cons

No paid travel for staff employees. training could be more structured and relevant but that is improving.

Advice to Management

Look at training structure and content.

2. "Good company to work for startig off your career with..."

Former Employee - Policy Development Manager in City of London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Policy Development Manager in City of London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

National Police Force which has many diverse communities and diverse workforce

Cons

Not very good for development

3. "get the chance with lots of agencies and great people"

Current Employee - Evidence Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Evidence Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at British Transport Police full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free travel, on the London underground, great training throughout. paid time off is really great starting at 28 days.

Cons

long and unsociable hours, but that comes with the job. working in the some unclean environments.

4. "Interesting Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Business Support Officer
    Former Employee - Business Support Officer

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting company that is moving ahead and growing whilst other Forces are seeing cut backs
    Good development opportunities if you are proactive and ask for it
    Head office in good locations in London (Camden, St James Park)
    Heriarchal but management nice to staff members

Cons

No travel discounts
    Computers very old (Windows 2003)

Advice to Management

Keep advancing technological solutions

5. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police (More than 3 years)

Pros

Whilst working at BTP, I worked at FHQ based in London. I had access to many career development opportunities and was able to undertake tasks that I would not have been able to at other organisations. I felt like I was certainly making a difference and that my work contributed to something important. I have met some great, hardworking people and I was definitely sad to leave.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to meet requirements, once you have met your target you are merely rewarded with more targets to achieve.

Advice to Management

More needs to be done to reward employees through base salary pay, as it does not currently meet the market rate.

6. "Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Business Objects Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Objects Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent police officers and policing

Cons

Lack of funding , low wages , low benefits

Advice to Management

Get senior management in IT changes

7. "Great"

Pros

It is a great atmosphere with lovely people! Everyone works together to help each other

Cons

Shifts can be hard for a work life balance, some incidents can be difficult to handle

8. "Good"

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, central london location, friendly people ability to move around and have a varied job, quite easy work also.

Cons

The work is quite easy so gets a bit boring. The office is not particularly nice as it is pretty old and needs an update.

9. "Not best pay for DDO job but a nice force to work for"

Former Employee - Designated Detention Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Designated Detention Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at British Transport Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and management
    Interesting and varied workload

Cons

Shift pattern messed up body clock
    Pay less than Met Police DDOs

"Undergoing Change"

Current Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Police Constable in London, England (UK)

Pros

BTP was once seen as a bit of a joke; not a real police force. The senior management over the past decade have strived to change this opinion of BTP and mould it into an effective police force.

BTP is well funded by the railways and as such is often seen to recruit in times where other forces would not.

The work at BTP is diverse due to the national structure. In the North, I enjoy a good work balance and I'm not snowed under like my Home Office counterparts are. I feel that I have sufficient time to carry out investigations to the full extent, with no pressure for me to "cuff" jobs.

The new corporate culture brought in by Crowther is quite inspiring and will hopefully lead the force to a better place, given time.

Cons

The officers as a whole are quite resistant to change, but this is slowly changing as younger, keener officers are replacing long service officers. The new corporate culture is helping to gradually change this, but unfortunately any inspiration given to officers by senior ranks is quickly squashed upon returning to your post. Officers with long service are very negative about practically every aspect of their job and demoralise all of those around them.

At the moment, rostering and operations are a bone of contention. As with all police forces, the officers lack real employment rights and are often abused, bearing the brunt of poor planning; rest days are cancelled on a regular basis during the football season. A new Evidence Based Policing operation is being rolled out across the force, however the solid science behind this is let down by the implementation at a local level and leads to more negativity from officers as a result. It seems slightly forced by senior management in some postings.

The use of technology within BTP is quite laughable, with decade old computers still in use throughout the force and still using command and control software that looked like it was coded in the late 90s. BTP have took their first steps into mobile policing but have done nothing to make their current software compatible with touch screens.

The force as a whole is very London centric and limited opportunities exist outside of the capital.

The only benefit offered is free travel on TfL services. This is worthless for everyone outside of London. No other free rail travel is offered. No member benefits or corporate discounts apply, other than the generic "Emergency Services" discounts; even those aren't sanctioned or acknowledged.

Poor work / life balance. Shift work will destroy you slowly and you will miss a lot of social occasions. This is not unique to BTP, this is part and parcel of being a police officer.

There is a distinct lack of strong leadership at a local level (ranks Sergeant up to Inspector), unlike the senior leadership. Effort is not recognised or acknowledged and laziness is very seldom challenged.

Advice to Management

Morale is at an all time low. Why not give officers some incentive to do their best? Inspire them?

Before you implement anything, make sure any systems, process or technology have been tried and tested by a range of different people.

Keep trying to push the change in culture. Make officers proud to represent BTP.